DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #4,411 of 22,021
No idea yet on battery life, but why not just plug into your computer or desk while at work to keep it charging, remove when you need to mill about or commute home?

pfurey89,

That's basically what I'm asking if it's safe to do. :) But since some devices warn you to not use them while they are being charged, I thought I'd ask once I saw a real review with real usage numbers.

I'd have to plug it into the wall since we're not allowed to connect any non company devices to our laptops, but I have 3 free outlets here at my desk and that's no concern.

pat----

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #4,412 of 22,021

For those Interested, you can find my DX200 review here.

H20Fidelity,

In the "Battery Life" section of your review you wrote: When utilising DX200's hi-res playback with 24bit or DSD the player needs to work harder, reports are coming in around 5-6 hours with these kinds of formats. Did you test, or do you know, whether the DX200 can be listened to while on the charger?

I'm looking for a DAP to listen to at the office and on a good day (read: no or few meetings), I can be under the headphones for up to 8-9 hours.

Thank you for your review and for any thoughts you might have to share concerning my charging/use question.

pat----

You are better off to plug the DX200 or any dap into a charger when using if you can. The less cycles on the battery the longer it will last. I am not saying not to use the battery but batteries have a cycle life and you can get the most out of the battery by doing a full charge all the time.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 17, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #4,414 of 22,021
Cowon P1 and S, Sony 1z, and Fiio X7.
I have the bassiest of the bassiest iems and headphones. I prefer the dap to at least have the option, via eq, to add significant bass. I understand the theory behind neutral daps, and it's fine, but I still feel you should be able to eq the sound to your preference. I believe the DX200 is neutral, but the eq is severely lacking. I just can't get my IEMS to pound like I can with other daps. That's just my preference, it certainly doesn't mean everyone agrees, nor does it make the DX200 bad. It's definitely not. I like the sound. It's clear, has great air and separation, it's just missing the punch that I love and prefer. For what it does though, it does it well.

Plus, it's built very well and the UI is very good. Great design, fast, intuitive, etc. Also, my other grip is not being able to search for a particular song.

Have you installed Neutron on your DX200? It should give you all the bass you want and is easy to install once you have purchased it.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #4,415 of 22,021
For those Interested, you can find my DX200 review here.

H20Fidelity,

In the "Battery Life" section of your review you wrote: When utilising DX200's hi-res playback with 24bit or DSD the player needs to work harder, reports are coming in around 5-6 hours with these kinds of formats. Did you test, or do you know, whether the DX200 can be listened to while on the charger?

I'm looking for a DAP to listen to at the office and on a good day (read: no or few meetings), I can be under the headphones for up to 8-9 hours.

Thank you for your review and for any thoughts you might have to share concerning my charging/use question.

pat----

Yes, you can do this, tested.

DX200 is very much like an Android smartphone. Just as you can plug them in and use them so can DX200. A little lightening icon will show the unit is plugged in on the task bar. What I don't recommend though is leaving it on for hours in your pocket or bag etc like a phone. Turn it off when not in use.

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #4,416 of 22,021
so you liked P1 more ?

Yes, much more. I absolutely love the P1. One of my favorite daps.

How would you compare the X7 and DX200 based on soundstage, depth etc?

I realise that the dx200 is neutral, but there have been a few comments about bass slam just not being heavy enough on this DAP. You mention that you managed to get the bass on the X7 to acceptable standards, but how does that currently compare with dx200? Is there a minor or major difference in bass weight? For the record my 64 Audio U8 are my main IEMs at the moment.

I haven't compared the sound stage and all that to the X7. X7, with my setup, has ridiculous amounts of bass. More than the average person would want, much more.

HiFlight Yes, installed Neutron, paid. Didn't really much that much of a difference. I was surprised. Hawaiibadboy, did you notice much of an increase with Neutron, as opposed to the stock player?

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #4,418 of 22,021
You are better off to plug the DX200 or any dap into a charger when using if you can. The less cycles on the battery the longer it will last. I am not saying not to use the battery but batteries have a cycle life and you can get the most out of the battery by doing a full charge all the time.

Thank you very much Paul - iBasso! Now I just need it to come in stock! :)

pat----

Feb 17, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #4,420 of 22,021
I sold my Sony WM1A. After 500 hours on the Sony, it just didn't have it compared to the DX200. I love the construction and feel of the Sony but for me, it can't match the sound quality. Both were mostly used in balanced output. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #4,422 of 22,021
Hi can you give some more details as to why you like dx200 more please?

It is more musical, better dynamics and a deeper soundstage after plenty of burn in. The DX200 is more exciting but not in a tiring way. The WM1A is very good, but the DX200 also has more power and for full sized headphones, on loud passages I get no compression. On loud music with the WM1A some compression can set in but this isn't really the case with IEM's. There the WM1A does fine but again, with IEM's I found that the DX200 offers better separation and more information that surrounds instruments and singers giving a more 3D type of presentation. This isn't out of the box but after 4 to 5 hundred hours of burn in. If you don't have a few hundred hours on the DX200, IMO, you haven't heard the potential of the DX200. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,423 of 22,021
Yeah, I agree with that. It's the best sounding amp/dac/dap I've yet to hear for IEMs. No hype, pure ******* BLISS. I may finally be retired from this hobby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back