DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Jan 25, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #3,106 of 22,021
OK, just got home and took the unit off burn...I just happened to see my trusty old Heir 4ai's in the drawer and said...hmm lets see. 

Impression with Pink Floyd's Hey You DSS....HOLY crap. This sounds amazing! I know it's going to sound weird but I kid you not, it sounds better than the 1Plus2's did last night. The soundstage is definitely getting bigger. The background detail and symmetry are fantastic. The song Is There Anybody Out There...the acoustic guitar part sounds as if David Gilmour is right in front of me. Then the black and white tv playing in the background is clear as a bell!

I just swapped out the mSD card and put it into the AK380. 

Right now they sound almost the same. High's and Mids are a little...and I mean a LITTLE more in your face with the AK380. The solo in Hey You sounds just as it did on the DX200. Like Gilmour was in front of me playing. I am even more pleasantly surprised than before with this. The DX200 is far from being burned-in to the point that I'm looking for...just about 40hrs now. But if it sounds this sonically similar to AK's flagship...I'm floored. I will say right now that the using these IEM's, the soundstage and layering is superb. Again, it's Pink Floyd The Wall, one of the most masterfully recorded albums of all time...and with the DSS files, it sounds surreal. 

Then I switched back to the DX200 and I definitely like the sound better. The lows are WAY more pronounced on the DX200...they seem to make you do that funny face like when someone hits a drum close to you...fantastic. 

All this with the little old Heir 4ai's....wow.

Just swapped out the Heir's for the 1Plus2's and played Comfortably Numb side by side...The 1Plus2's are more detailed, the Heirs' are more punchy and fun sounding. It's as if the 1Plus2's are more clinical in this instance. 

More to come later. Now to enjoy the rest of the album...lol

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #3,108 of 22,021
Delay of about 1.5 seconds when changing track, not end of the world but could surely be quicker.

Play back fails and requires a restart when switching from Bluetooth to either jack.

Restart takes a while.

Mango OS is agony.

Have had the device plugged into the wall and playing almost constantly since I've had it, yeah it has become ever so slightly warm, but a very great distance from being abnormal or an issue.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #3,109 of 22,021
Delay of about 1.5 seconds when changing track, not end of the world but could surely be quicker.

Play back fails and requires a restart when switching from Bluetooth to either jack.

Restart takes a while.

Mango OS is agony.

Have had the device plugged into the wall and playing almost constantly since I've had it, yeah it has become ever so slightly warm, but a very great distance from being abnormal or an issue.

Have you updated to the latest firmware? (Make sure to reboot after you update)

That fixed all the lag problems for me. There's no lag changing tracks or folders here. I don't have a problem with Mango either. I actually have been going from Mango to Android and back...playing 24bit  FLAC's and DSS files. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,110 of 22,021

Restart takes a while.

Mango OS is agony.

Wow, I use Mango all the time and I find it is very fast and responsive or do you mean something else? 

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #3,111 of 22,021
Oh wow, DX200 almost out performing AK380 already ? Nice! Keep it going, AK380 owners will buy 4 of dx200 to have some as a spare in the closest Soon
smily_headphones1.gif

LOL I know right?! 

4 for 1...they'll have extra's for a rainy day! lol

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #3,112 of 22,021

Yeah I hope this will be fixed in the next firmware.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #3,113 of 22,021
Have you updated to the latest firmware? (Make sure to reboot after you update)

That fixed all the lag problems for me. There's no lag changing tracks or folders here. I don't have a problem with Mango either. I actually have been going from Mango to Android and back...playing 24bit  FLAC's and DSS files. 

Yeah, I always stick to the proper software drills: Update > factory reset > flash again > factory reset.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #3,116 of 22,021

I would do a factory reset. Changing of tracks for me is just about instant. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #3,117 of 22,021
This dx200 is really into my attention...in the Fiio x5 III tread someone said that liked more the x5 than the dx200...now here is better than Sony nwwm1a and ak380...i am confused...

Someone said the X5 sounded better than the DX200?? lol. I would say that person has very unique tastes. The X5 is not in the same league as the DX200. not by a long shot. I had the X5iii for a long time as my commuting to work DAP. 

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #3,118 of 22,021
Thanks, but I'm not really interested in Tidal or Spotify. Does anyone have any experience of using other UPNP streaming apps which don't downsample or using the dx200 as a Roon control/endpoint? Will any android app work on the dx200?

There is no Google Play Store now. So you'd have to the APK for whatever app you use. I don't think anyone is using the unit in such a manner yet. Most of us are testing their units and burning them in. We have confirmed that those two work...I haven't read anyone mention any other UPNP streaming apps....sorry.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #3,119 of 22,021
Managed to get hold of a DX200 on AMP3 before they went out of stock, seemed like a bargain I couldn't turn down, especially with 10% discount code! Was hoping it would arrive today, I suppose I've just got to be patient.....
Has anyone tried any streaming apps other than Tidal or Spotify, I really want to use this player to stream from my NAS. Ideally I would love to stick Roon Control app on it at some point, does anyone have any idea whether this will work on dx200 version of android?
Thanks

I have installed Tidal and PC Radio, both of which work perfectly. I also tried Calm Radio which installed ok but didn't work properly as it does not support the latest Android version. Google Play was a no go also as it needs to interface with Google. I don't think there there will be problems with most free apps.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #3,120 of 22,021
Someone said the X5 sounded better than the DX200?? lol. I would say that person has very unique tastes. The X5 is not in the same league as the DX200. not by a long shot. I had the X5iii for a long time as my commuting to work DAP. 
yes someone said that....but the ak380 is not on the same league of the dx200 and ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back