DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 18, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #20,791 of 22,021
Ahh... thanks for clarifying! I did not realized they were applied! I mistakenly assume nothing was applied as they weren't part of the itemized breakdown! My bad!

My AMP8w mod feels complete! Thank you @Kozato and Music Sanctuary!
Just realized that some of the amp upgrades don’t have line out. Just reterminated my IEM cable to TRRRS 4.4 mm as I planned to get the DX200 and amp 8 to get the widest sound stage. Now I realized I am screwed since I also need optical out (Toslink) to use the DX 200 as a source for my music collection feeding the CHORD DAVE at home. Why did iBasso get rid of the LO??? I also bought an expensive adapter to go from male 4.4 TRRRS to male 3.5 mm so can use the same cable for my QP1R. This sucks.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 10:08 AM Post #20,792 of 22,021
Just realized that some of the amp upgrades don’t have line out. Just reterminated my IEM cable to TRRRS 4.4 mm as I planned to get the DX200 and amp 8 to get the widest sound stage. Now I realized I am screwed since I also need optical out (Toslink) to use the DX 200 as a source for my music collection feeding the CHORD DAVE at home. Why did iBasso get rid of the LO??? I also bought an expensive adapter to go from male 4.4 TRRRS to male 3.5 mm so can use the same cable for my QP1R. This sucks.
The DX200 comes with the AMP1, which has the line out. Just use AMP1 when you need a line out. That is pretty simple. And there is no line out with AMP8 because there is no room for it. Also there is a optical out on the DX200 but maybe I am not understanding you about that.

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #20,793 of 22,021
The DX200 comes with the AMP1, which has the line out. Just use AMP1 when you need a line out. That is pretty simple. And there is no line out with AMP8 because there is no room for it. Also there is a optical out on the DX200 but maybe I am not understanding you about that.
Now I am really confused. Isn’t the line out that is only available on certain amp modules also serve optical out or is there another port for optical out?

Feb 18, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #20,794 of 22,021
Now I am really confused. Isn’t the line out that is only available on certain amp modules also serve optical out or is there another port for optical out?
The optical out is on top of the player. Totally separate. You don't remove the coax or optical output.

Feb 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #20,796 of 22,021
That has surprised me. Good multilayer PCB is difficult to destroy (I am sure Ibasso uses only quality components), I use desoldering gun (Den-On DN-SC7000Z) it is very rare when pads come off, only if PCB is overused)).

It is not the matter of thick or thin traces specifically for Portable Amp-module. We are not talking about Full blown Desktop PcB where Sizes and compactability is not a concern. It is about how the traces are running toward the lay out of other related and supportive components. The Amp8 is packed with many components, and being compressed inside a small module housing, it had to satisfy the current/voltage parameters. However, it couldn’t be as strong as if it were to be laying in a bigger design/housing.

To be fair, the design to the pcb quality are mind blowing in engineering point of view. The proof is easily proven by some modifications, and I already posted about Anp8W or Amp8EX.

For all that said, it isn’t easy to lift these pads, unless you have 0 experiences around dedicated and delicated PCB. It would take some very serious Attemps for someone with the experiences to try and lift it out :).

The recommendations to have Music Sanctuary to help you and or to ask @chaiyuta if he could, both are excellent choices.

Seriously DX200 and Amp8 have so much potentials, you only need to unleash it

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019 at 12:13 PM Post #20,797 of 22,021
Then I’m good. Thanks for the clarification. So what is the line out for? Doesn’t the optical out on top also serve as analogue line out?
No, the top is SPDIF for data out connection. You can use COAX or Optical.

Line out is for people who worry about doubles amplifications when needing more power to drive their full size headphones.

My DX200 and Amp8 never needed a line out. I simply connect the Amp8 output toward the external amplifier of my choices.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #20,798 of 22,021
After listening to the Korg NuTube output on the Cayin N8, can't wait until Amp 9 comes out :L3000:

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #20,799 of 22,021
After meeting with and listening to Vince's (@Whitigir) modded DX200Ti w/amp8 and comparing it to my stock DX200Ti w/amp8 (this weekend at CanJam NYC) - I gotta say, these improvements are the REAL deal :) I did run a quick a/b test, using the same pair of iems and playing the same song at the same volume level between each DAP (so there is no placebo effect due to volume difference), and the soundstage expansion and accuracy of imaging had a noticeable improvement. I can't say the tonality was very different, maybe a subtle improvement (and it's loud to begin with at the show to pick up nuances), but the holographic staging improvement was quite noticeable!

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #20,800 of 22,021
See inline

1. Is the amp 4 still available?

No.

2. Is there any option to purchase the DX200 with the 4 or 8 amp as stock so as not to waste the $200? Will anyone buy the amp1?

Ask Paul here.

3. Which of the two balanced amps have the largest 4D sound stage? I am looking for the upper end extension, microdetail and air around instruments as with the Questyle QP1R?

There’s two questions above - soundstage/depth. To me both similar but maybe a a hairline more on AMP4.

Treble extension: both similar. To my ears it’s the mids that’s a little different between the AMP4 & AMP8.

Never heard the QP1R.

4. Does anyone have a clue if there will be a major improvement in SQ with the DX220?

Aside from iBasso (& possibly a selected few, why do I suspect Twister6 having a sample!!??), no one knows.

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #20,801 of 22,021
I had the same problem, and I was able to resolve it by toggling the download destination in Tidal from SD card to internal storage, the back to SD card. It may also work the other way around if you prefer to store offline downloads on the internal memory.
Thanks for posting this... I'm having the same issue with my DX150. I'll try this tonight.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #20,802 of 22,021
Hi guys I have a question I don't recall seeing answered in the thread. I saw it brought up but not resolved. The question is, can you use your cell phone as the source, and the dx200 as the dac/amp? So I want to fire up a song on YouTube via phone, but have the audio play through the dx200.

I know you can do this with a PC and dx200, but I am unsure if you can do this with a phone. I have only known the USB otg on phones as a receiver of devices, and not the transmitter.

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #20,804 of 22,021
I'm still unable to get it to work after trying this :frowning2:
i tried last night and now I can’t even log into Tidal. There is definitely internet connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back