DX200=Affordable High End Audio. Dual ES9028Pro dacs. AMP1, AMP3, AMP5, AMP7 & AMP8 ***Firmware support now up for AMP9***
Feb 17, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #20,776 of 22,021
I was catching up with this thread for missed 25 pages.. Couple notes for 'amp upgraders':
1) I saw flux residue on some photos, which is not good (remove it after soldering with Flux OFF spray or whatever you have access to, even the flux does say 'no clean' or else)
2) If you planning amp upgrade, and do not have equipment at home (I have a microscope, tips circa 0.4 mm width and hot air gun), I guess any phone repair shop (which are plenty nowadays) or notebook repair shop with similar (and probably way better than my home setup) equipment can do it for you easily, if you bring parts and have photo instructions for this upgrade. My guess is that the whole thing would not take more than 30 mins and would not be expensive (since the shop does not have to search for the fix, because that is what takes most of the time/cost).

I have a sporadic shut-off, which happens only if I am on battery alone (if it is charging - no problem), and tends to happen when I drained a certain amount of juice from the battery.
Does anyone have similar symptoms (I read about similar things in this thread)?
What type of battery used (have not open mine DX200 yet), do you have a link for them?

Contact Paul from iBasso. He can set up a replacement battery for you. They are not expensive and iBasso has been amazing about support! The standard shipping is also cheap from China, if you don't mind waiting a couple weeks. I would go with the costlier DHL option as it will get to you pretty quick.

About the amp mods. I agree that a phone repair shop is the best option. The only caution is that there are varying levels of skill out there. The 8W is pretty simple, but the 8EX will require some ability. Again, the pads under the 4 output caps are extremely delicate. You cannot give the impression to the service tech that this is a normal, simple 30min job. He may lift the pads and destroy your amp. My tech had 9 years experience with phones, laptops, game consoles, etc. and he said the DX200 boards were still something different. Find a good tech and tell them to take it slow and careful.

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #20,777 of 22,021
Contact Paul from iBasso. He can set up a replacement battery for you. They are not expensive and iBasso has been amazing about support! The standard shipping is also cheap from China, if you don't mind waiting a couple weeks. I would go with the costlier DHL option as it will get to you pretty quick.

About the amp mods. I agree that a phone repair shop is the best option. The only caution is that there are varying levels of skill out there. The 8W is pretty simple, but the 8EX will require some ability. Again, the pads under the 4 output caps are extremely delicate. You cannot give the impression to the service tech that this is a normal, simple 30min job. He may lift the pads and destroy your amp. My tech had 9 years experience with phones, laptops, game consoles, etc. and he said the DX200 boards were still something different. Find a good tech and tell them to take it slow and careful.

Thanks for input, interesting. I just saw a few (THT) caps to be soldered over existing MLCC and maybe some tantal ones, I did not remember the size but I guess it is 0805 (0603 worst if I missed something), anything else I missed? Or you mean that MLCC should be preheated (as Ersa for example highly recommends to 100C before install), since their profile is heat sensitive? I guess, then, I have the wrong impression about the difficulty of this upgrade.

Feb 17, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #20,778 of 22,021
Thanks for input, interesting. I just saw a few (THT) caps to be soldered over existing MLCC and maybe some tantal ones, I did not remember the size but I guess it is 0805 (0603 worst if I missed something), anything else I missed? Or you mean that MLCC should be preheated (as Ersa for example highly recommends to 100C before install), since their profile is heat sensitive? I guess, then, I have the wrong impression about the difficulty of this upgrade.

There are two mods 8W, and the more involved 8EX. You are correct though, neither of these are actually that complicated. It is just that the tantalum caps have delicate pads and traces underneath, esp. in that one area I mentioned. If a good tech could practice on a spare board, I'm sure he could do either mod pretty quickly. However, the kind of experience, level of skill, and care varies and we have already seen some mishaps with professionals.

Feb 17, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #20,781 of 22,021
That has surprised me. Good multilayer PCB is difficult to destroy (I am sure Ibasso uses only quality components), I use desoldering gun (Den-On DN-SC7000Z) it is very rare when pads come off, only if PCB is overused)).

I'm sure iBasso uses quality PCBs too. I don't know much about SMDs. I think it is that one area with the output caps that is very sensitive.

Those desoldering tools seem really cool.

Feb 18, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #20,783 of 22,021
Of course (at some point) :)

Got a baby on the way so it's time to sell some toys unfortunately

Maybe it's time to get new toys for a baby and a daddy? :wink:

Feb 18, 2019 at 2:21 AM Post #20,787 of 22,021
Can we say that AMP8 is strictly better than AMP1 ? Or it has better and worse points, such as better at certain genres but worse at certain genres ?
Sonically? To me yes. But I do switch back to the AMP1 for flexibility (i.e. Single Ended when testing in shops, LineOut when testing external amps, etc.).

But, I prefer the AMP4 to the AMP8 :D.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #20,788 of 22,021
Late to @Whitigir AMP8 mod party but finally adopted them (all, except for TDK Sheet). These are done with the assistance of paid technician (zero confidence with my own soldering skills).

I like what I'm hearing, the AMP8w. To me, it really does tightens up the bass and details have more presence yet never harsh. Subjectively (and based on memory, as I could no longer compare side by side now the AMP8 is modded), the bass presentation of AMP8w is where I experience more changes - solid and tight control.

I've placed order for the TDK Sheet. This I will try to apply on my own and hope it will be yield perceptible changes too (hopefully changes that are more pleasing to my ears).

Actually we applied fo.Q acoustic dampening pads, which are similar or better than the TDK ones. Application of the pads require desoldering of the components.

Feb 18, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #20,789 of 22,021
Actually we applied fo.Q acoustic dampening pads, which are similar or better than the TDK ones. Application of the pads require desoldering of the components.

Ahh... thanks for clarifying! I did not realized they were applied! I mistakenly assume nothing was applied as they weren't part of the itemized breakdown! My bad!

My AMP8w mod feels complete! Thank you @Kozato and Music Sanctuary!

Feb 18, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #20,790 of 22,021
Sonically? To me yes. But I do switch back to the AMP1 for flexibility (i.e. Single Ended when testing in shops, LineOut when testing external amps, etc.).

But, I prefer the AMP4 to the AMP8 :D.

1. Is the amp 4 still available?

2. Is there any option to purchase the DX200 with the 4 or 8 amp as stock so as not to waste the $200? Will anyone buy the amp1?

3. Which of the two balanced amps have the largest 4D sound stage? I am looking for the upper end extension, microdetail and air around instruments as with the Questyle QP1R?

4. Does anyone have a clue if there will be a major improvement in SQ with the DX220?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back