Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Jun 14, 2016 at 6:59 PM Post #2,746 of 3,012
dunu titan 1 - come back to me, I forgive you!
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2016 at 8:29 AM Post #2,748 of 3,012
I have been using the original Dunu Titan 1 for a year and a half, and I'm thinking about upgrading, has anyone compared these to something like DQSM D2 or what do you recommend?

Upgrade - plenty of choices. What did you want more of/what did you feel was lacking with the titan 1?

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:07 PM Post #2,751 of 3,012
  I like the large soundstage and airy sound, and that the bass is good without being overwhelming. Ie. I'm no basshead.

Pinnacle P1.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #2,752 of 3,012
I like the large soundstage and airy sound, and that the bass is good without being overwhelming. Ie. I'm no basshead.

I second the P1, and add the RHA MA750. The Pinnacle was my best IEM until my CA Nova came along...

That said (and topic-specific) I STILL own, use and love my Titan 1's...just brilliant airy iems.

Jun 24, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #2,754 of 3,012
I got my hands on a Monk Plus pack earlier in the week, and have noticed that the large hooks work great for the Titans. I can use a silicone tip with a super-shallow seal, and still have them secure in the ear. I've noticed a couple of others on and off the forum mention that they do this as well, so I'm not (completely) crazy. Although it appears that I've turned into a cat, so take from this what you will. The buds were okay I suppose, but the hooks were the real winner :D

Jun 24, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #2,755 of 3,012
  I got my hands on a Monk Plus pack earlier in the week, and have noticed that the large hooks work great for the Titans. I can use a silicone tip with a super-shallow seal, and still have them secure in the ear. I've noticed a couple of others on and off the forum mention that they do this as well, so I'm not (completely) crazy. Although it appears that I've turned into a cat, so take from this what you will. The buds were okay I suppose, but the hooks were the real winner :D

I do them same. Makes them fit so much better especially in the left ear. Before I was pretty much forced to wear the Titan 1 over ear with the channels swapped, otherwise they would eventually weasel their way out of position and lose seal. While I really wanted to get the official earhooks from Dunu that come with the T3 and T5, the Monk expansion pack hooks are a much cheaper and just as effective alternative. Installation is a bit fiddly but completely worth it.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #2,756 of 3,012
Yep, I think you're the one that had the post that I saw about using the Monks hooks for Titans :)

I didn't even know about the hooks on the 3/5s! Before I had seen the Monk Plus pack, I was going to ask Dunu if they were willing to sell their hooks for the Alphas separately, since I just assumed they would fit. It seemed weird to me that they had not included the hooks with the Titans, but I'm glad to hear that they did, at least for the 3/5s.

Jun 24, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #2,757 of 3,012
  Yep, I think you're the one that had the post that I saw about using the Monks hooks for Titans :)

I didn't even know about the hooks on the 3/5s! Before I had seen the Monk Plus pack, I was going to ask Dunu if they were willing to sell their hooks for the Alphas separately, since I just assumed they would fit. It seemed weird to me that they had not included the hooks with the Titans, but I'm glad to hear that they did, at least for the 3/5s.

If you contact Vivian, you can buy the hooks separately. As much as they improved the quality of my Titan 1 experience, I wasn't really willing to drop the amount they were asking (I think it was 15 USD including shipping to Canada, but don't quote me on that).

Jun 26, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #2,758 of 3,012
sub'd to this forum...initially I found Dunu's lineup confusing with the 1000, 2000, 2000j, and then this Titan series
...luckily this thread is helping to clarify things and might even become a first time dunu owner (rock, blues and jazz for me)

question: do the Titan series, esp models #3 and #5,  still hold very good competitive value in today's fast changing/evolving iem world?
and yes, i still am considering the Flc 8s...or one of these Titan models.

Jun 26, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #2,759 of 3,012
All of the Titan series represent exceptional value IMO.  My favourites would be the 5 and then the original Titan 1.

Jun 26, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #2,760 of 3,012
@canali

Out of the Titan series, my vote would go to the Titan 3 for Rock, Blues and Jazz, but only if the fit and vent proximity to the ears are right (http://www.head-fi.org/t/744083/dunu-titan-series-1-1es-3-5-ti-coated-diaphragm-half-in-ear-earphones/2550#post_12202820). The Titan IEMs might sound totally different in different ears as the amount by how close the vents are sitting to the Concha has got a drastic effect of the sound (see the link). I seem to be quite lucky with the Titan 3 and get just the right amount of bass and warmth out of it with my ear anatomy - once, just to try it, I managed to insert it with more distance between the vent and my ears, and the effect was a thin, harsh and disharmonious, strident sound.

I'd strongly advise to try the Titan 3 beforehand to see whether your ears harmonise well with the vents or not.

And don't worry, the Titan series in-ears are still excellent, of great value and very competitive - just like the good old Etymotic ER-4 series when it comes down to almost ultimate neutrality according to the diffuse-field curve (and other criteria where the ER-4 IEMs also shine).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back