Dunu TITAN Series (new for 2019: Titan 6) [Page 196]
Jan 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #166 of 3,012
Same here, the more impressions the better!

Wondering, do you consider DX90 to be on a bright side?  Just from a personal experience I enjoy Titan more paired up with my warmer X1 and directly from laptop, rather than more neutral/brighter X5 or N6 (in review test now).

Yes ...agreed that DX90 is bright ....but me likey very much ......does Titan pair well with Fiio X3 bcuz compared to DX90 ...they are warm ...thanks

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #167 of 3,012
So far, I am pleased with the SQ of the Titan when listening to well-mastered recordings, but the slight emphasis in the lower treble region does not seem to play well with recordings that are compressed, which unfortunately is the case with much of the pop and rock genre's, thanks to the "loudness war".

While the Titan is easy to drive directly from my Galaxy phone, it does scale up very well with my desktop tube amp. I have only accumulatedabout 25 hours of listening so far, so perhaps my impressions will change with more playtime. So far, I have not really detected any noticeable change in the SQ from new.

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #168 of 3,012
Yes ...agreed that DX90 is bright ....but me likey very much ......does Titan pair well with Fiio X3 bcuz compared to DX90 ...they are warm ...thanks

I think it will be up to your personal preference, my friend!  I don't have X3 so can't say for sure, but you never know - you might enjoy Titan with DX90 better since T1 is on a "hybrid" revealing level, yet still smooth and not sibilant.  Also, these DAPs go through burn in.  Might not be applicable to DX90, but I found N6 to be rather bright/revealing out of the box, and now it settle in with a smoother and more neutral sig.  Still, for my own person taste I like Titan with a warmer source.  Or amping it with something like C5 which has a bit of coloration/warmth and a killer soundstage to enhance Titans!

Jan 21, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #169 of 3,012

Really, when you break the cookie down Titan will sound good from any source, even my iPod Touch 4G (which I think is a pretty good player btw). We're in reality just being 'fuss pot' audiophiles, so don't let us confuse you (or any other readers)

Jan 21, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #171 of 3,012
The OP has been updated with a brief blurb about my visit to DUNU headquarters earlier today. I've also got a pair to listen to at home now, so I'll be doing a review on them.

Honestly, I've been tough on DUNU in the past, but I believe everyone can agree they've come around with their hybrid models, and this new endeavor into titanium coatings is moving the company's products even further in the right direction. The DN-2000J, in my opinion, possesses the highest resolution of any DUNU earphone and comes very close to the level of detail of TOTL IEMs, but in achieving high resolution and treble extension, sacrifices treble linearity. The Titan 1, IMHO, is less of an issue when it comes to treble brightness, though it does have some small issues on that front.

I've managed to settle on RedGiant's red-core natural acoustic tips. Their opening diameter is wide enough not to confer any reverse horn effects, but the it doesn't have the treble resonance issues of some other tips nor the tendency to muffle the lower midrange. The result is the most open and natural sounding response I've heard from the Titan 1 so far, preserving treble extension without extra resonance.

The overall signature of the Titan 1, even with these tips, is still a mild classical V-shape. The lows and highs take precedence over the midrange, which is clear but not forward positioned within the stereo image. For this reason, I still find the midrange of the Sony MDR-EX1000 to be more transparent, despite the former Sony flagship's lower treble resonance that occludes some of the treble detail, its midrange is better formed, and thus its center image (which usually comprises vocals) projects deeply and three dimensionally. The same is true for some of the better CIEMs that I have --- their neutrally-tuned midrange responses enable their vocals and center image in general to project forward with warmth and body without sacrificing clarity.

On the other hand, the Titan 1 is good at delineating voices because of its elevated upper midrange and parts of the treble. Coupled with the fast transient characteristics of this titanium-coated diaphragm, the Titan 1 exudes excellent "edge clarity". However, because the central midrange portion is still a bit recessed in relation, imaging cues are relayed mostly side-to-side, with far less front-to-back information.

So yes, make no mistake, this is no back of a smoky jazz club, listening to a sultry-voiced siren kind of earphone. The Titan 1 is most at home when its given a lot to do, leaving the sprightly titanium-coated driver to sort out the details and separate out the instruments. Thus, the V-shaped response of the Titan 1 makes it palatable for many types of popular music where the beat, not the voice, is the focus.

Remember a young, pre-queen Bey teaming up with Kelly Roland and Michelle Williams? Destiny Child's 'Say My Name' plays to the strengths of the Titan 1 --- most of the track's metronomic rhythm is sequestered in the low bass and upper treble. Same thing with the hypertonicity of J-Pop music --- electropop/hip-hop outfits like M-Flo are flattered by the sound space the Titan 1 is able to throw out.

So what about bass? Just listen to Iggy Azalea's 'Work'. You'll go "head over heels" for the kind of simultaneous control and power realized by the Titan 1.

That's all for now (I know, it looks like I already wrote the review, but that was not it). First, a photoshoot...

​
Thus far, I've only had time to get a few shots off with good lighting, but will be taking more as time continues. The one above is an out-of-camera JPEG; luckily, as the earphones are brand new, the picture needs zero editing. The polishing on the metal housings aren't perfect, but I'm still able to get decent soft-to-specular highlight transitions even with a latitude-compromised JPEG file (and a 9 year-old camera).

Jan 21, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #172 of 3,012

Wow!!! Ut Oh!  I need a lot more time to get my head around the sound of this earphone here! It's a single driver but it sound like a freakin' hybrid! Clarity is phenomenal out of the box. And the bass is on point in the Titan 1. It's brighter than the Duoza, but I wouldn't call Titan 1 an overly bright earphone. The highs are pushing the threshold of what I would normally find too harsh, yet it is not stepping over the line. Anyway, I need more time,with the Titan 1, but out of the box we have another winner fellas. Rain2, Duoza and now this Titan 1. The approximately $100 earphones have a sound quality we couldn't even imagine hearing at that price range five years ago. More (real) hype!!! 

Thank you to Dunu for giving me a chance to hear this baby right here. More to come...

Jan 21, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #173 of 3,012
Got my pair today as well! Also thanks to the folks at DUNU.

Plug is very CKR-ish :)

Just realized a couple of days ago the lower cable is cloth covered.

Smaller and lighter than it seemed from the pictures.

I actually haven't heard a DUNU phone since the first line up and these are quite a few steps ahead of the Hephaes and Trident dynamics
smile_phones.gif

I come from a lot of half in ear and earbud experience. They are shallower fitting but with the right tips they have even above average isolation and I don't hear them as that bright. They can have a nice amount of bass. Does depend on tip. I think the mostly shorter tips that they come with are more to blame for the brighter impressions as short combined with shallow isn't going to give the kinda seal that makes these the slightly warm and punchy phones I hear with some longer tips. It's all in how you use them but they need not be pigeon holed as bright and analytical exclusively. 

I know I also have the Ostry OS tips coming as well. Not here yet and they have the filters in them. Interesting to see how those work with the Titan-1. May be a good match there esp. for those who find them bright and not want so much of that. Stay tuned!

The usual DUNU build quality, handsome packaging, and generous accessories are seen here with the Titan-1.

Jan 21, 2015 at 6:48 PM Post #174 of 3,012
Looks as if I'm going to receive the Titan 1 in not to long. I've got the S2 as well so should be able to ab them if you're still interested when they arrive.....

That would bet wonderful Peter, am looking forward to it! 

I don't know if this has been addressed, but is it possible to wear these with the wire up?

Jan 21, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #175 of 3,012

That would bet wonderful Peter, am looking forward to it! 

I don't know if this has been addressed, but is it possible to wear these with the wire up?

Check my review Peter - yes it is possible.  Comfort might depend on your ear shape though ......

Review : http://www.head-fi.org/products/dunu-titan-1-titanium-coated-diaphragm-earphones/reviews/12309

Pics :

[size=12.8000001907349px][/size]
Cable down (normal)Over ear (works fine for me)

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #176 of 3,012
I find wearing them over the ear is not very comfortable though :frowning2: With a cabl clip wearing them down is fine. 

I'm loving these, should have a review up in a week or so. Oh, and I didn't feel like they changed with burn in. 

Jan 21, 2015 at 10:17 PM Post #177 of 3,012
Can anyone compare the Titan treble to the Phiaton PS210? The Phiaton is as bright as I'd want to go (which sounds fantastic by the way, you just can't take it outside or anywhere noisy, as it doesn't have enough bass for that).

And a comparison with the Fidelio S2 would be appreciated as well.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:30 AM Post #179 of 3,012
  Can anyone compare the Titan treble to the Phiaton PS210? The Phiaton is as bright as I'd want to go (which sounds fantastic by the way, you just can't take it outside or anywhere noisy, as it doesn't have enough bass for that). And a comparison with the Fidelio S2 would be appreciated as well.

I think the Titan 1 is somewhat bright, but not in any way that is annoying or harmful (no strong spikes). As for the PS210, the Titan 1 is more revealing, as the PS210 can be a little thin in body in the midrange. However, the Titan 1 is less mid-forward. The Titan 1 is actually brighter overall because it has more high treble presence, but actually will feel less fatiguing because it seems to be less 'spiky'. I didn't do a direct comparison, but the S2, to me, lacks character. The Titan 1 is more exciting and involving.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:27 AM Post #180 of 3,012
  Can anyone compare the Titan treble to the Phiaton PS210? The Phiaton is as bright as I'd want to go (which sounds fantastic by the way, you just can't take it outside or anywhere noisy, as it doesn't have enough bass for that).

And a comparison with the Fidelio S2 would be appreciated as well.

Haven't done a direct A/B comparison, but I'd think the KC06 is a good point of reference for the Titans. Not only because both use titanium coating, but treble strikes me as similar in character, not annoyingly spiky, yet still very clear and a little edgy at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back