DUNU releases EST 112, a triple hybrid in-ear with dual electrostatic tweeters
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:33 AM Post #46 of 296
Here's my review: https://www.audiodiscourse.com/2021/03/dunu-est-112-review.html

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new DUW-02s cable. It takes the best parts of the Dunu DUW-02 and improves the braid for a more stylish, yet very lightweight and usable cable. I hope it becomes available separately!
You review is always honest and thus trustworthy!
Quite a bit. Totally different driver. Different family and totally different setup (piezos are sort of like a planar layout). Piezoelectric is much cheaper than the SONION electret. I'm just glad to see someone is finally honestly presenting the Sonion electret as an ELECTRET rather than pure electrostatic.

Piezos are all over the map in how they sound. The Sonion Electret is very good when implemented well. Treble is very 3D and sort of floats in the air.

The only hesitation I have on this set is the mids. Tuning on the graph looks good, but the knowles is custom, new and could be bad or good. I don't want another set with mediocre mids.
yes electret is passive, and electrostatic like senn orpheus is active, good to know sonion EST is the electret sort, no wonder it doesn’t require huge amps.

Mar 29, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #49 of 296
That FR graph is damn impressive. Extended treble without any major peaks and dips, a hard thing to achieve
Are we reading the same graph? There's enough peaks and dips in that treble FR to make the earphones sound brighter than on paper...

It comes down to overall resolution in the end. Judging by the price I don't think it will resolve better than, say, Sony M7. At that resolution, given the peaks and dips, the treble can sound glaring and metallic, *theoretically*.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #50 of 296
I think it’s also because of the Hype for Tribrids and the insane price DUNU has given these.

It’s really great.
That said, ZEN received a lot of love too.
A single DD in the sub kilobuck pricing that performs way above its class. Definitely deserves much more praise. I’m still working on my review actually. It’s just been quite a bit busy for me. But I booked a couple of days off this coming week so I could work on them.

But I’m excited to hear the EST 112 some time soon, I’m sure with DUNU’s track record, these will outperform its given price.
Cant wait to read more reviews. It is such an exciting start of the year with Dunu trying so many new arrangements.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #51 of 296
Cant wait to read more reviews. It is such an exciting start of the year with Dunu trying so many new arrangements.
Same here!

DUNU is doing really well with their new products. I also like the fact that they’re not too eager to release a new flagship. Makes it worthwhile to own the Luna.

I still wanna own one someday. It’s a midrange goddess.

And as for the EST 112. I hope I could get one to review. But we’ll see.

Mar 30, 2021 at 2:11 AM Post #52 of 296
Just a brief explanation of why the preorder period is so brief ---- we are being swamped with pre-orders in China, over 800 at this point, and they're supposed to all go out starting on 3/29. Thus, there isn't much remaining in our silos... so go easy on us, please!

Hopping those don't dissappear any time soon..... Planning absolutely to get these in a month from now..... Saving money right now... After getting DK2001 I actually understood that my choices regarding getting g new iems in the future is actually only one : DUNU
End of conflict...

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #54 of 296
More info please.... No beating around the bush!

Various notes after 30 hours of burn in.

Balanced and natural tuning.
No annoying peaks.
Engaging without being warm.
Without brightness or harshness.
Great bass extension.
Tight and well controlled.
Ample layering.
No masking.
Dynamic but not visceral / on the lean side.
Very balanced mids with great body.
Clarity.
And Clarity.
Fast and precise.
Good cues of reverb and decay.
Airy and very wide.
Can handle the busiest passages with esse.
Lack of depth/holography.
Precision.
Excellent cohesion between the drivers.
All the available detail but nicely integrated with the whole.
More ethereal than full bodied.
Easy to drive.

Mar 30, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #55 of 296
For those of you interested, we've gotten permission from Leiyin Audio (parent company of @shenzhenaudio) to re-publish the most recent episode of their HIFI Tour series (roughly translated from Chinese as 'Sonic Explorations') that recently published on Chinese social media platforms, which is a visit to our production facilities in Dongguan (a major city of the Pearl River Delta just outside of Shenzhen which makes roughly over 90% of all headphone audio products in the world, along with many other electronics). They also speak with our chief engineer, Andy Zhao, at length.

The language is in Mandarin Chinese but we have subtitled this episode in English ourselves; just turn on subtitles and you're set. The subtitles have been generated to preserve the original meaning and spirit of the conversation and verified for accuracy. Rest easy, they're not machine auto-translations!

Some highlights include:
  • A preview of faceplate changes we're experimenting with on the SA6
  • A look at the torture tests we put our cables through
  • A glimpse at the actual metal alloy driver in the ZEN
  • Extensive views of our production line and our QC process
  • Discussion into the EST 112 and ZEN's development
Many thanks to Leiyin Audio for the permission to re-publish this tour footage. They also publish other factory tours on YouTube, which they subtitle in English.

DUNU It's a good time to go #PRO. Our next generation of in-ears powered by ECLIPSƎ are here! Learn more on our official website. Stay updated on DUNU at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/DUNU.FANS/ https://twitter.com/DUNU_Headphone https://www.instagram.com/dunu_topsound/ https://www.dunu-topsound.com/ https://m.me/DUNU.FANS int_ops@dunu-topsound.com, support@dunutopsound.com
Mar 30, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #56 of 296
Lack of depth/holography.

Lack of depth...does that mean soundstage extends more in width, and less in depth, and thus do not provide a holographic experience?

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #59 of 296
20210330_161352.jpg

20210330_161806.jpg

20210330_162004.jpg

20210330_162018.jpg

20210330_162232.jpg

20210330_162530.jpg

20210330_162551.jpg

20210330_162611.jpg

20210330_162632.jpg

Mar 30, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #60 of 296
I have been swamped with work but it's one of the hottest new thing around for me , keep the impressions and pics coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back