DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
May 8, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,936 of 2,571
@Sebastien Chiu
where can I buy extra sets of the S&S xl tips?
I got 1 pair with the sa6 mk2, but would like more.

May 8, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #1,937 of 2,571
What is the most important of those qualities you mentioned for your next upgrade? Are you looking for a specific overall sound signature?
Hi Sebastian. Well, honestly I'm not really sure what I'm looking for (I know it sounds a bit funny), I just saw so many rave reviews about the Mk2 and wanted to know the differences from the dk 3001 pros I already own. For example, the Mk2 is $100 more expensive than the dk 3001 pro so I wanted to know why is that in terms of quality. And also, I wanted to know how the sound profile differs (eg the Mk2 have more/less bass, etc.).

May 8, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #1,939 of 2,571
Last edited:
May 8, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #1,940 of 2,571
Got my pair of MKII in today! They've been in my ears for two hours now, and I'm having an absolute blast so far. I wanted to share some amateurish thoughts :)

IMG_2286.jpeg

First off, hats off to the packaging. The leather case feels very premium and closes with a satisfying snap. The included accessories are generous, probably the best I've seen during my short time in this hobby.

Onto the ergonomics, these fit cleanly into my ears, they're comfortable and stay on tight. This cable is the thickest I've owned, but it is quite flexible, and doesn't bother me when I wear them. I'm a sucker for cables with interchangeable connectors, and these are built very well.

Now onto my sonic impressions (so far, will need more time to really get to know them.) My chain was iPhone > Apple Music > BTD 600 > Dethonray Segasus SG1 > Dunu SA6 MKII in 4.4mm balanced connection. I used the large turquoise silicone candy tips.

Soundstage is fairly spacious; not quite as huge as my Helios, but still holographic.
Imaging is precise, I can accurately hear what direction different instruments are coming from. Instrument separation is good enough for me. On dense progressive and death metal tracks, I can still hear each instrument clearly. It never blends in together.

The treble is sparkly and airy. Almost too brilliant for me, to be honest, but not quite.

Instruments sound lovely, and I can make out the sound of guitar strings being plucked. Vocals sound lush and forward, though I did hear some sibilance with female vocals with the S&S tips (none with the candy tips, which is why I'm using them!)

Bass isn't as powerful as my previous IEMs (Helios, IE600, OH10) but is still punchy and has excellent texture. Drum hits feel impactful, and EDM still rumbles in my ears. I'd like to call myself a basshead, and while the quantity is a bit low for me (even with the atmospheric mode switched on), it is very well implemented, especially the midbass.

Overall, I really enjoy these, and I think they will be a nice compliment for my other IEMs and likely my go-to for vocal heavy tracks. I used to think the IE600 were the best value IEM under $800, but honestly, I think these take the cake. Excellent job overall, I highly recommend anyone who's on the fence to grab a pair!

May 10, 2023 at 4:09 AM Post #1,941 of 2,571
IMG_20230510_100735.jpg
What would be bad and harming using the Dunu Talos ""Open-backs""?

Any FR would be great to see. I mean, open It sounds way Better in many regards, they are very smooth and airy, the Attack Is Amazing, the sound Is very powerful and leakage Is the SAME (Not a great point the latter but i mean normally should leak much more than the same as closed, if you mind don't bothering anyone, this open easy method is still for you)
This Is like, to me, the endgame Talos, MKII Edition :) Just try It once, for fast paced electronica it's way Better. But even more brighter, and the treble gets hot and and the distortion quite noticeable, so goods but at a cost.
In the end, Better off closed, bass Is richer, vocals are smoother, It Is designer that way, plus closed It Is much Better looking and you don't risk nothing.

But not sure how Dangerous It Is. Anyone can open this very easily!

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 5:35 AM Post #1,942 of 2,571
Enjoying my SA6 Mk2. I find most IEMs too shouty due to pinna gain, so I really like the tuning of SA6 Mk2. I might write a review after spending more time with them.
The Hulk Pro Mini is probably the best stock cable I've ever gotten with IEMs. Modular connectors are very light (weight was my major gripe with modular connectors) and high quality. Strikes perfect balance between ergonomics and wire design too! Not flimsy like a string and not a garden hose either.
But not sure how Dangerous It Is. Anyone can open this very easily!
I don't think it's dangerous. But IEMs are exposed and can be broken/damaged much easier!

May 10, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #1,945 of 2,571
May 11, 2023 at 3:12 AM Post #1,946 of 2,571
Great review, mate! Kinda surprised that your hear stage depth with the atmospheric mode OFF. I personally can’t use the off mode. The soundstage is just odd.

Btw, Long time no see.

Hey man, great to see you as well. Sorry, had to take a break due to the birth of my daughter. Slowly crawling back from the restless dead 😂

It's probably HRTF related. Flat pinnas hit me real well (Ultra, Tea2, VX, Mahina, etc).

May 11, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #1,947 of 2,571
Hey man, great to see you as well. Sorry, had to take a break due to the birth of my daughter. Slowly crawling back from the restless dead 😂

It's probably HRTF related. Flat pinnas hit me real well (Ultra, Tea2, VX, Mahina, etc).
The 1.5kHz honk hits me like a truck with these IEMs :beyersmile:

Congrats on the baby!

May 13, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #1,948 of 2,571
Howdy folks, my review of Dunu SA6II is online on both head-fi and my blog. (No video review this time).

If you have read my previous reviews of Talos and Vulkan, you would notice that I tend to find that whilst those IEMs are good, they can't stand up to the hype that I built up in my head. Not this time. SA6II is everything that I expected but I couldn't find when auditioning the original SA6. Highly recommend the SA6II.

Just a few comments for Dunu:
  • I don't think pushing the region between1kHz and 1.5kHz up is a good idea. Luckily, I didn't hear honkiness or boxiness in the midrange, but the way this region pushes the midrange forward does make the soundstage a bit odd. I highly recommend keeping flat midrange all the way to 1kHz, and then going to up the same 2kHz plateau that you have right now.
  • Maybe 2dB boost at 3kHz would be helpful (similar tuning approach of Vulkan). This would likely address the perceived lack of detail in the midrange instruments that I mentioned.
  • Bass is perfect, don't change.
  • Treble tuning is perfect, don't change.
  • A bit extra nuances and details in the treble region would be very beneficial to bring SA6II to the level of kilobuck IEMs. Perhaps that's what the upcoming SA10 with 4EST going to provide? Very curious to hear a more refined version of SA6II with EST treble.

Similar to its predecessor, the original SA6, the SA6II embodies a quintessential mid-fi IEM. It comes with high-quality accessories, boasts a beautiful design, and provides a comfortable fit. The tonality of the SA6II is natural and pleasant across various genres, offering a refreshing departure from the typical Harman target sound. It also delivers respectable resolution and soundstage performance to complement its tuning. The limitations of the SA6II become noticeable only when scrutinizing the soundstage and comparing it to much more expensive high-end IEMs.

Who is the SA6II suitable for? It may not be the ideal choice for those seeking the most detailed sonic presentation or a bass-heavy sound. It also falls short if one desires the holographic soundstage found in high-end IEMs like the Andromeda. However, the SA6II is a good option for those who desire a natural tonality, appreciate some bass presence without sacrificing midrange clarity, and seek a good level detail and clarity without sacrificing a smooth and pleasant listening experience. Ultimately, the SA6II is a solid choice for individuals looking for a high-end IEM that delivers both in looks and sound quality, without the exorbitant price tag.

Pros:
  • Beautiful design and comfortable fit
  • Excellent accessories
  • Natural and pleasant tonality
  • Good bass
  • Good resolution
  • Good soundstage and imaging
Cons:
  • The soundstage lacks a bit of depth
  • Smooth presentation can hide some details
SA6II_summary.jpg

May 14, 2023 at 1:00 AM Post #1,949 of 2,571
I hope we'll be able to buy them on Aliexpress soon. Unfortunately you can't select XL there yet.

Yeah, I’ll back this up. The XL S&S tips shot to the top of my default tip list, but DUNU’s shipping is a killer.

I’d imagine they’ll show up on Ali soon. The originals were only on the DUNU site for a short time before showing up there so I’d expect the same thing with the new size.

May 14, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #1,950 of 2,571
Howdy folks, my review of Dunu SA6II is online on both head-fi and my blog. (No video review this time).

If you have read my previous reviews of Talos and Vulkan, you would notice that I tend to find that whilst those IEMs are good, they can't stand up to the hype that I built up in my head. Not this time. SA6II is everything that I expected but I couldn't find when auditioning the original SA6. Highly recommend the SA6II.

Just a few comments for Dunu:
  • I don't think pushing the region between1kHz and 1.5kHz up is a good idea. Luckily, I didn't hear honkiness or boxiness in the midrange, but the way this region pushes the midrange forward does make the soundstage a bit odd. I highly recommend keeping flat midrange all the way to 1kHz, and then going to up the same 2kHz plateau that you have right now.
  • Maybe 2dB boost at 3kHz would be helpful (similar tuning approach of Vulkan). This would likely address the perceived lack of detail in the midrange instruments that I mentioned.
  • Bass is perfect, don't change.
  • Treble tuning is perfect, don't change.
  • A bit extra nuances and details in the treble region would be very beneficial to bring SA6II to the level of kilobuck IEMs. Perhaps that's what the upcoming SA10 with 4EST going to provide? Very curious to hear a more refined version of SA6II with EST treble.
Nice review, I know I would have liked this one. Seems to fix my problems with the original SA6, also the more I see the design the more I like it.
Would be fun to review it, have feel it would compare good against my NP even with less drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back