DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
May 16, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #1,951 of 2,571

Thanks for sharing!

I hope we'll be able to buy them on Aliexpress soon. Unfortunately you can't select XL there yet.

We are working on adding them to AliExpress!

Appreciate your great reviews as always bro!

Howdy folks, my review of Dunu SA6II is online on both head-fi and my blog. (No video review this time).

If you have read my previous reviews of Talos and Vulkan, you would notice that I tend to find that whilst those IEMs are good, they can't stand up to the hype that I built up in my head. Not this time. SA6II is everything that I expected but I couldn't find when auditioning the original SA6. Highly recommend the SA6II.

Just a few comments for Dunu:
  • I don't think pushing the region between1kHz and 1.5kHz up is a good idea. Luckily, I didn't hear honkiness or boxiness in the midrange, but the way this region pushes the midrange forward does make the soundstage a bit odd. I highly recommend keeping flat midrange all the way to 1kHz, and then going to up the same 2kHz plateau that you have right now.
  • Maybe 2dB boost at 3kHz would be helpful (similar tuning approach of Vulkan). This would likely address the perceived lack of detail in the midrange instruments that I mentioned.
  • Bass is perfect, don't change.
  • Treble tuning is perfect, don't change.
  • A bit extra nuances and details in the treble region would be very beneficial to bring SA6II to the level of kilobuck IEMs. Perhaps that's what the upcoming SA10 with 4EST going to provide? Very curious to hear a more refined version of SA6II with EST treble.

Thanks for the great review and excellent feedback!

What I can say on the SA10 is the ESTs will deinfetly apply that treble feedback as far as where it's now.

Yeah, I’ll back this up. The XL S&S tips shot to the top of my default tip list, but DUNU’s shipping is a killer.

I’d imagine they’ll show up on Ali soon. The originals were only on the DUNU site for a short time before showing up there so I’d expect the same thing with the new size.

Yep!
Nice review, I know I would have liked this one. Seems to fix my problems with the original SA6, also the more I see the design the more I like it.
Would be fun to review it, have feel it would compare good against my NP even with less drivers.

Thanks!

May 17, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #1,953 of 2,571
May 17, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #1,954 of 2,571
Fantastic news! Thanks very much.

These will be available on AliExpress after May 21st.

@Sebastien Chiu will Dunu present SA10 this weekend at MOC? Is flagship model ready too? :)
https://www.highendsociety.de/high-end-44.html

No, we will not be presenting at all this year at High End Munich. It is not a show we usually attend.

The flagship model - likely no longer called SA16 has gone through a few more iterations since it was last shown in China. You all can still call it the 16 until we give it a proper name.

In regards to the SA10, that will still come out after the SA16, likely in September or October. We hope to push what comes from the SA16 out over summer.

We still have one big release coming up first sometime in June that you all have intentionally heard nothing about yet. I can't wait to share more on that one around when the new month hits sometime soon.

Keep in mind, our more budget friendly releases will be still be coming out through this time. We should have more information on the next one coming soon as well in June.

The next show we will be at officially presenting these models is CanJam SoCal. I will be likely be at CanJam Chicago just on my own.

Last edited:
May 17, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #1,955 of 2,571
The flagship model - likely no longer called SA16 has gone through a few more iterations since it was last shown in China. You all can still call it the 16 until we give it a proper name.

We still have one big release coming up first sometime in June that you all have intentionally heard nothing about yet. I can't wait to share more on that one around when the new month hits sometime soon.
Interesting developments here. Is this new surprise release coming before the SA16?

2023 is shaping up to be a big year for Dunu.

May 17, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #1,956 of 2,571
Interesting developments here. Is this new surprise release coming before the SA16?

2023 is shaping up to be a big year for Dunu.

Yes, it will be before the the SA16.

It really is - this isn't even mentioning the new single DD that will succeed the Zen Pro and Luna. That one is planned for Q4 2023/Q1 2024. When it's done it's done.

May 17, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #1,958 of 2,571
These will be available on AliExpress after May 21st.

No, we will not be presenting at all this year at High End Munich. It is not a show we usually attend.

In regards to the SA10, that will still come out after the SA16, likely in September or October. We hope to push what comes from the SA16 out over summer.

Keep in mind, our more budget friendly releases will be still be coming out through this time. We should have more information on the next one coming soon as well in June.

The next show we will be at officially presenting these models is CanJam SoCal. I will be likely be at CanJam Chicago just on my own.
Sounds interesting! Looking forward for more info.

May 18, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #1,959 of 2,571
I've had the SA6 mkII for a couple of weeks now. At first I thought vocals were a little bit held back compared to my other IEMs (Blessing 2 for example).

The sound is very addictive and I hear details I haven't heard before. I can listen for hours. The design and build quality is also great and there is just something special about them.

May 18, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,960 of 2,571
I had been using alza XELASTEC tips on the dunu sa6 mk2 for about a week when the collar of one tip split. I think this is down to the slight tapering of the nozzle and the nozzle width. I have read that these tips are known for splitting.

I have also used spinfit tips, but these keep sliding off and staying in my ear, again I think due to the tapering.

Any solutions? The supplied s&s XL tips work well but I cannot get a seal with any of the other supplied tips.

Considering the final type e tips. But will they stay attached?

May 18, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #1,961 of 2,571
I had been using alza XELASTEC tips on the dunu sa6 mk2 for about a week when the collar of one tip split. I think this is down to the slight tapering of the nozzle and the nozzle width. I have read that these tips are known for splitting.

I have also used spinfit tips, but these keep sliding off and staying in my ear, again I think due to the tapering.

Any solutions? The supplied s&s XL tips work well but I cannot get a seal with any of the other supplied tips.

Considering the final type e tips. But will they stay attached?
I used SpinFit W1 with my SA6II. The sticky plastic of these tips ensure they stay on the nozzles.

Final Type E tips wouldn’t work, both sonically and fit, because their core is quite small comparing to SA6II nozzles. Maybe you can use SpinFit CP155 (the larger stem)?

May 18, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #1,962 of 2,571
I used SpinFit W1 with my SA6II. The sticky plastic of these tips ensure they stay on the nozzles.

Final Type E tips wouldn’t work, both sonically and fit, because their core is quite small comparing to SA6II nozzles. Maybe you can use SpinFit CP155 (the larger stem)?
Thanks for the reply. I have used spinfit 100s, which are not new, but they do slip off when the iem is taken out of my ear.

Is the stickiness of the W1 something that wears off? They are quite expensive.

May 18, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #1,963 of 2,571
Is the stickiness of the W1 something that wears off? They are quite expensive.

Likely, though not for a long time. I borrowed an old IEM with W1 tips recently. They were still sticky.

The part that matters in your use case is the stem. Because it does not touch your skin, it’s likely they would remain sticky for years.

May 18, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,964 of 2,571
Likely, though not for a long time. I borrowed an old IEM with W1 tips recently. They were still sticky.

The part that matters in your use case is the stem. Because it does not touch your skin, it’s likely they would remain sticky for years.
Thanks again. I have ordered some from Amazon. I don't know why they are only sold in a s/m/l pack. Guaranteed that 2 sets will go unused. :rolling_eyes:

May 18, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #1,965 of 2,571
Thanks again. I have ordered some from Amazon. I don't know why they are only sold in a s/m/l pack. Guaranteed that 2 sets will go unused. :rolling_eyes:
You can use the large one for shallow fitting IEMs. I use the M for SA6II and L for Andromeda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back