DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Apr 7, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #1,877 of 2,381
Must be translation issue perhaps because "atmospheric" is literally opposite of extra bass. May it meant for option OFF.
Doesn't matter much really, was just curios. :relaxed:
Atmospheric definition from Webster dictionary
1680913419881.png

Extra bass does not make anything "airy".

BTW, how people feel about that switch, do you use mostly Off on On.
I found SA6 "cleaner" and tighter sounding with it off.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #1,878 of 2,381
1680913419881.png

I have to disagree with you here a bit. I find that pumping up the lower mid and bass to a certain degree (not too much, or you kill the air) can improve the sense of ambience or "atmospheric." For instance, if you boost the bass just right, the iconic bass drum opening of Hotel California can have the sense of resonance spreading across the stage, binding everything together and add depth to the recording.

Another example: the CFA Andromeda 2020: combination of imaging, treble extension, 8k peak, and borderline bloating lower midrange together creates that "holographic" stage.

I'm testing an R2R DAP at the moment. There is a noticeable level of boosted lower end and smoothened top end. Such a sound signature (along with other voodoos) brings a sense of ambience and depth to most IEMs, though you sacrifice the stage width and tack sharp clarity for that depth.

So yeah, I'm with Dunu on this one.

Whenever I get my hands on an OG SA6, I would always choose the atmospheric mode for a bit more depth to the stage. IMHO, the OG SA6 does not have noticeably wide soundstage anyway, so a bit of depth helps.

Apr 7, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #1,879 of 2,381
All it does is boost bass and lower mids, there is no air or extra depth from this, for that you need to boost treble.
Airy sound from head-fi glossary

Airy - Spacious. Open. Instruments sound like they are surrounded by a large reflective space full of air. Good reproduction of high frequency reflections. High frequency response extends to 15 or 20 kHz.

Doesn't matter really, it's named the way it's named, perhaps in native Mandarin it means something else and things got garbled in translation.

Thanks for trying to make sense out of it.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #1,882 of 2,381
All it does is boost bass and lower mids, there is no air or extra depth from this, for that you need to boost treble.
Airy sound from head-fi glossary

Doesn't matter really, it's named the way it's named, perhaps in native Mandarin it means something else and things got garbled in translation.

Thanks for trying to make sense out of it.
You are both right IMO. From a technical standpoint you are correct, but I think what is being offered is the perception of "airyness", rather than an absolute. I cannot be sure because I have not heard them, but I know that there are many "tricks" done in tuning that would give the perception of a type of tuning that you wouldn't think feasible by the frequencies used.

Apr 8, 2023 at 11:05 PM Post #1,883 of 2,381
Another question, anybody knows how that Boos work, is there some port getting opened or some electric circuity/impedance tweak.
Technically it's supers small almost moot change, like a dB or so.
DUNU-SA6-frequency-response_result.jpg

Apr 18, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,884 of 2,381
There is something about the way Zen Pro presents the bass that is oh-so satisfying. It's not just loud bass, but the physical sensation of it. And the shells are surprisingly small and well built as well.
Yeah I love the bass on the Zen Pro. It's a top performer in that area even among my full size headphones like the Clear MG and HE-500. In fact I reach for it more than the HE-500 nowadays.
And the driver is so well designed and capable that you can use as much EQ you want with no artifacts or distortion.

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #1,885 of 2,381
The Gods of Audiophilia have finally heed my call! This is it! DUNU SA6 Mk.II, Praise the Audio Messiah!

I really missed the DUNU SA6 that I've only managed to test it out for a short time last year and it was an accidental and unexpected moment. And after that I'm longing to test it out once again and here it is, its latest variation. As usual it has an incredible and superb midrange like its predecessor but it is somehow a bit smoother and it has even more airy on treble. DUNU delivers again.

Extraordinaire pairing on both sets as DUNU SA6 Mk.II along with Questyle Audio QP2R. With SA6 Mk.II's smooth, coherent and detail midrange and QP2R's balanced-neutral tuning with its AKM's velvety midrange make these match indeed made in heaven. This is probably my long term pause game on portable midrange + TOTL audio gears. I'm waiting for the HiBy R6 Mk.II (it even rhymes :D) with its newer AKM DAC.

Very Astounding! Exquisitely Tremendous!

20230419_161001.jpg

20230418_202128_HDR.jpg
20230418_203326.jpg
20230419_120831.jpg

Apr 19, 2023 at 4:39 AM Post #1,886 of 2,381
1680913419881.png

Both on and off, if I want to focus more on vocals, I'll turn it off.

Apr 19, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #1,887 of 2,381
The Gods of Audiophilia have finally heed my call! This is it! DUNU SA6 Mk.II, Praise the Audio Messiah!

I really missed the DUNU SA6 that I've only managed to test it out for a short time last year and it was an accidental and unexpected moment. And after that I'm longing to test it out once again and here it is, its latest variation. As usual it has an incredible and superb midrange like its predecessor but it is somehow a bit smoother and it has even more airy on treble. DUNU delivers again.

Extraordinaire pairing on both sets as DUNU SA6 Mk.II along with Questyle Audio QP2R. With SA6 Mk.II's smooth, coherent and detail midrange and QP2R's balanced-neutral tuning with its AKM's velvety midrange make these match indeed made in heaven. This is probably my long term pause game on portable midrange + TOTL audio gears. I'm waiting for the HiBy R6 Mk.II (it even rhymes :D) with its newer AKM DAC.

20230419_161001.jpg

20230418_202128_HDR.jpg20230418_203326.jpg20230419_120831.jpg
Congrats on your new shiny! :)

I am really digging the looks of those, plus I also really like the case for these...

Apr 19, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #1,888 of 2,381

20230419_161001.jpg

nice one!

Apr 19, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #1,890 of 2,381

20230419_161001.jpg

Is it Hulk Mini cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back