DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #1,366 of 2,381
Been testing my review set and I can say burn in is necessary for the Talos. I burn in everything anyways but. Much better coherency with better bass presence better note definition and treble smooths out a touch giving better balance to the Talos with burn in. Highly recommended. Out of the box they sounded a touch thin note wise, treble was separated and not in a good way, a bit more tizzy on open listen bass was anemic. Way better after burn in imo. Bass actually arrives after burn in. I got 200 hours on my set. It sounds great.

If you got the Talos, yes I would highly recommend it. A nice longer one.
Is that description with or without the BA switched on? If it is with it on, I can see that as I had similar "bad separation" issues with my IT-07 (which is a DD and 6 BAs)... Once burned-in this completely went away (to my ears).

P.S. BTW! Love your new avatar... :)

Nov 19, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #1,367 of 2,381
Ya old schoolers know what avatar that is. Lol. Grew up listening to the stuff.

What? There is a switch? I kid. This is without the switch on. First planar that has a switch to engage a potent dynamic in conjunction with the planar for bass to me anyways would have been more optimal. The treble switch has its uses. I did engage the switch for a bit of BA burn in but like most that have the Talos the treble switch I feel is not really necessary. Though it helps with poorly recorded stuff. I suppose folks with some hearing loss would appreciate that too. I am glad Dunu is trying something new here.

A bass switch though. Aha one can only wish. Talos bass edition? Even in limited quantities. I would buy in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #1,369 of 2,381
Been testing my review set and I can say burn in is necessary for the Talos. I burn in everything anyways but. Much better coherency with better bass presence better note definition and treble smooths out a touch giving better balance to the Talos with burn in. Highly recommended. Out of the box they sounded a touch thin note wise, treble was separated and not in a good way, a bit more tizzy on open listen bass was anemic. Way better after burn in imo. Bass actually arrives after burn in. I got 200 hours on my set. It sounds great.

Thanks, D

Nov 19, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #1,370 of 2,381
Ya old schoolers know what avatar that is. Lol. Grew up listening to the stuff.

What? There is a switch? I kid. This is without the switch on. First planar that has a switch to engage a potent dynamic in conjunction with the planar for bass to me anyways would have been more optimal. The treble switch has its uses. I did engage the switch for a bit of BA burn in but like most that have the Talos the treble switch I feel is not really necessary. Though it helps with poorly recorded stuff. I suppose folks with some hearing loss would appreciate that too. I am glad Dunu is trying something new here.

A bass switch though. Aha one can only wish. Talos bass edition? Even in limited quantities. I would buy in a heartbeat.

I’ve held off on the Talos due to this exact thing. I already have several planars and the treble isn’t the issue on any of them. Add to that the voluminous reports that the set sounds better with the BA turned off and what you’re left with is anothe single planar without something unique to spice it up.

I hope DUNU takes another swing at planar hybrid. They got the shells right but a “bass edition” like you describe would force my hand for sure.

Nov 20, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #1,371 of 2,381
So far for me, Spinfit cp145 have worked best on Talos. The supple, wide tip-bulb makes for a fuller fit and better seal. Also, the diameter of the tip aperture is slightly narrower than Talos’ nozzle. These two combined help balance the sound, decrease treble sharpness and increase bass presence. Too, go for high gain on the dap and plenty of copper in the cable.

Post facto edit: Copper appears to amplify Talos low end presence but it also increases sibilance. Silver does remedy most of the sibilance.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #1,372 of 2,381
Ah, Cleg, I hate watching videos. I’m sorry. But can you tell me if you ‘burned in’ Talos? Wondering if much sonic change results from 100 hours or so? Thanks

I've burned them in for 48 hours, and there were some changes during the first 10-12 hours. Not sure if 100+ hours will give anything (usually it doesn't), but I'm actively using them now, so if there will be some changes after 100 hours, I'll write an update here. So far, they have about 60 hours of work (including 48 h burn in), and I didn't hear any significant change

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,373 of 2,381
Totally different signature, how to compare?
You need to EQ them to a similar target.

@helloh3adfi - I encourage you to stop pushing this narrative on our products. Things do not work that way.

The internal configurations are different and you can not achieve one by simply EQing it to the other.

My video review about Talos. Interesting model that has a bunch of unique features

Thanks for the review!

I've burned them in for 48 hours, and there were some changes during the first 10-12 hours. Not sure if 100+ hours will give anything (usually it doesn't), but I'm actively using them now, so if there will be some changes after 100 hours, I'll write an update here. So far, they have about 60 hours of work (including 48 h burn in), and I didn't hear any significant change

The Talos do not need much burn-in. 10-12 hours is more than enough.

Nov 21, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #1,374 of 2,381
@helloh3adfi - I encourage you to stop pushing this narrative on our products. Things do not work that way.

The internal configurations are different and you can not achieve one by simply EQing it to the other.
He asked a question. I answered how it would be possible to do a better comparison. You probably thought I was going to say they'd sound the same if eq'd to the same target? Nope. I bet there will still be differences and also you'd need a professional measure rig, which I can't afford. :/

Anyway I'm looking forward to buy the Dunu S&S eartips. :) Plz soon.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #1,375 of 2,381
He asked a question. I answered how it would be possible to do a better comparison. You probably thought I was going to say they'd sound the same if eq'd to the same target? Nope. I bet there will still be differences and also you'd need a professional measure rig, which I can't afford. :/

Anyway I'm looking forward to buy the Dunu S&S eartips. :) Plz soon.

Thank you for clarifying, yes - I assumed you meaned that they would sound the same.

DUNU S&S TIPS are priced and will be available soon.

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #1,377 of 2,381
Sorry to go off subject but does anyone know weather the dunu zen pro improves with burn in.

After the first few minutes I doubt they’ll be any/if at all change to the sound, your ears, however, will become accustomed to the sound. It’s a tiny driver after all.

Nov 21, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #1,379 of 2,381
Ok thanks.

It’s true that “burn in” or “run in” can be a controversial topic. Some people believe it makes a big difference, others not so much.

Personally, I think it really varies from set to set. I’ve had some (the Hook-X comes to mind) that really changed a lot and others that stayed basically the same out of the box.

As a good rule of thumb, 10 hours of “run in” or “burn in” is a reasonable compromise. By 10 hours most sets will have worked out any stiffness in the drivers and will sound the way they’re going to sound.

My two cents.

Nov 21, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #1,380 of 2,381
It’s true that “burn in” or “run in” can be a controversial topic. Some people believe it makes a big difference, others not so much.

Personally, I think it really varies from set to set. I’ve had some (the Hook-X comes to mind) that really changed a lot and others that stayed basically the same out of the box.

As a good rule of thumb, 10 hours of “run in” or “burn in” is a reasonable compromise. By 10 hours most sets will have worked out any stiffness in the drivers and will sound the way they’re going to sound.

My two cents.
Ok thanks, my ie600s made a difference & they have a smaller driver than the dunu zen pro so though it may be worthwhile even though just listening to them over time will do the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back