DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Nov 1, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #1,261 of 2,483
Has anybody received or had their order shipped for any of the other color combos apart from blue/red?

Nov 1, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #1,263 of 2,483
The DUNU Talos is an excellent entrant to the ultra-competitive midFI planar market.

DUNU.jpeg

It is well accessorized and of good build. Like most planars, the Talos scales better with amplification, but weak sources should be able to drive it decently.

Eartips.jpeg

Comes with some new eartips I've not seen before (top left)!

Switches.jpeg

The selling point are the tuning switches, which allows one to convert it to a planar + BA hybrid on the go. The switches are very easy to manipulate, you don't even need a toothpick or pin card to flip it, I managed to flip those with a finger (not the middle finger though).

DUNU_Talos.jpg

In the pure planar mode, I daresay, this is the best tuned planar offering I've tried, as an overall package blending timbre, tonality and technicalities. It gives a U shaped tuning in this config, great balanced tonality that is suitable for most music genres.

Timbre is usually an issue on planars, compared to pure single DD types; there's still a tinge of planar timbre heard on the Talos, but the Talos is one of the better planars for timbral accuracy (perhaps only the Tangzu Zetian Wu has better timbre among the current planar brethren, but the Zetian Wu has inferior technicalities compared to most of the other planars).

Technicalities are a highlight on the Talos, even in pure planar mode. Clarity, imaging, micro-details, transients and instrument separation are top notch. Soundstage is a bit intimate though, but the other areas of technical performance are almost class-leading among the planars; the Talos beats the Timeless and S12 Pro in these departments. The Moondrop Stellaris has better technicalities, but it is practically unlistenable due to a severely boosted treble/upper mids that gives fatigue and harshness after a few minutes (I had to mod it to make it useful).

The BA + planar mode adds significant treble as per the graphs, and increases resolution. On this BA + planar mode, it even beats the Moondrop Stellaris in technicalities; however, treble sensitive folk will likely find it sibilant and fatiguing, and it seems from forums, the general consensus is that most folk prefer the pure planar switch. Nevertheless, it is very useful to have this BA switch option in the pocket, as trebleheads may want that, or certain music genres may call for it.

So in a nutshell, the Talos in pure planar mode is my favourite of the 8 or so planars I've tried so far. Great melding of timbre, tonality and technicalities. Will do more testing and report back!

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #1,264 of 2,483
The DUNU Talos is an excellent entrant to the ultra-competitive midFI planar market.

DUNU.jpeg

It is well accessorized and of good build. Like most planars, the Talos scales better with amplification, but weak sources should be able to drive it decently.

Eartips.jpeg

Switches.jpeg
The selling point are the tuning switches, which allows one to convert it to a planar + BA hybrid on the go. The switches are very easy to manipulate, you don't even need a toothpick or pin card to flip it, I managed to flip those with a finger (not the middle finger though).

DUNU_Talos.jpg
In the pure planar mode, I daresay, this is the best tuned planar offering I've tried, as an overall package blending timbre, tonality and technicalities. It gives a U shaped tuning in this config, great balanced tonality that is suitable for most music genres.

Timbre is usually an issue on planars, compared to pure single DD types; there's still a tinge of planar timbre heard on the Talos, but the Talos is one of the better planars for timbral accuracy (perhaps only the Tangzu Zetian Wu has better timbre among the current planar brethren, but the Zetian Wu has inferior technicalities compared to most of the other planars).

Technicalities are a highlight on the Talos, even in pure planar mode. Clarity, imaging, micro-details, transients and instrument separation are top notch. Soundstage is a bit intimate though, but the other areas of technical performance are almost class-leading among the planars; the Talos beats the Timeless and S12 Pro in these departments. The Moondrop Stellaris has better technicalities, but it is practically unlistenable due to a severely boosted treble/upper mids that gives fatigue and harshness after a few minutes (I had to mod it to make it useful).

The BA + planar mode adds significant treble as per the graphs, and increases resolution. On this BA + planar mode, it even beats the Moondrop Stellaris in technicalities; however, treble sensitive folk will likely find it sibilant and fatiguing, and it seems from forums, the general consensus is that most folk prefer the pure planar switch. Nevertheless, it is very useful to have this BA switch option in the pocket, as trebleheads may want that, or certain music genres may call for it.

So in a nutshell, the Talos in pure planar mode is my favourite of the 8 or so planars I've tried so far. Great melding of timbre, tonality and technicalities. Will do more testing and report back!
Is it wrong to say that I am curious about those strange looking ear tips even more than the IEMs themselves?

The ear-gain is more or less 10dB, isn't it? Bass seems 6 - 8 dB above midrange and focused but not detached from the mid. Seems pretty solid with daring treble tuning. I'm quite curious as I'm troubled by 5k more than 3k and 8k. I might be able to tolerate the mid-treble peak and enjoy all of that glorious "micro-details" :dt880smile:

Is there any spiky harshness like S12?

Nov 2, 2022 at 1:53 AM Post #1,265 of 2,483
Is it wrong to say that I am curious about those strange looking ear tips even more than the IEMs themselves?

The ear-gain is more or less 10dB, isn't it? Bass seems 6 - 8 dB above midrange and focused but not detached from the mid. Seems pretty solid with daring treble tuning. I'm quite curious as I'm troubled by 5k more than 3k and 8k. I might be able to tolerate the mid-treble peak and enjoy all of that glorious "micro-details" :dt880smile:

Yeah those eartips are very interesting in shape and design, haven't used it before.

The Talos in pure planar mode is indeed a bit bright in the treble, but I'm treble sensitive and can tolerate it. A good mix of being forward in the treble to push resolution thru, without veering overtly into harshness. If you have tried the DUNU Titan S, the Talos is like a bigger brother in every way, with similar tonality but better technicalities.

The 8khz peak is actually a coupler peak superimposed on a peak in the actual tuning. On the pure planar mode, there is mild sibilance, but the treble isn't as sibilant or harsh as the S12 or Stellaris. But if you do activate the BA switch, then yes, it is brighter than the S12, and about comparable with the Stellaris in terms of treble extension and quantity.

The ear gain isn't that shouty yes.

I think of the planars, the Talos (pure planar mode) and Tangzu Zetian Wu probably have the most balanced tonality and authentic timbre, though the Zetian Wu is a few steps behind in technicalities (Zetian Wu has better soundstage only but has weaker imaging, instrument separation, clarity, transients, micro-details).

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #1,266 of 2,483
Yeah those eartips are very interesting in shape and design, haven't used it before.

The Talos in pure planar mode is indeed a bit bright in the treble, but I'm treble sensitive and can tolerate it. A good mix of being forward in the treble to push resolution thru, without veering overtly into harshness. If you have tried the DUNU Titan S, the Talos is like a bigger brother in every way, with similar tonality but better technicalities.

The 8khz peak is actually a coupler peak superimposed on a peak in the actual tuning. On the pure planar mode, there is mild sibilance, but the treble isn't as sibilant or harsh as the S12 or Stellaris. But if you do activate the BA switch, then yes, it is brighter than the S12, and about comparable with the Stellaris in terms of treble extension and quantity.

The ear gain isn't that shouty yes.

I think of the planars, the Talos (pure planar mode) and Tangzu Zetian Wu probably have the most balanced tonality and authentic timbre, though the Zetian Wu is a few steps behind in technicalities (Zetian Wu has better soundstage only but has weaker imaging, instrument separation, clarity, transients, micro-details).

Sounds like a good alternative to stock S12. There is something about the stock tuning of S12 that feels like a drill or ice pick in my head. I don't think it's ear-gain. Modded S12 might fare better, but modding is not very consistent anyway.

Looking forward for your further impressions.

Nov 2, 2022 at 2:12 AM Post #1,267 of 2,483
Nov 2, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #1,268 of 2,483

Bro, not just those flat-tubed ones even the Black Oval shaped ones are pretty solid. I got some extra sets from HiFiGo with my SA6 Ultra shipment. I liked them so much that I just asked for them hehe. I got 2-3 sets of S&S and 3-4 sets of those oval ones.
S&S are good, although I have to use a size bigger than what I personally use on other sets. Like for most other tips I am usually on S or M, but for S&S I get a good seal with L size.

Also, Talos is one of my favorite Planars out there. It trumps S12 with a better-bodied presentation of vocals and instruments. Although S12 still has an upper hand with its powerful slamming bass hehe.

Nov 2, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #1,269 of 2,483
Nov 2, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #1,270 of 2,483
Nov 2, 2022 at 5:09 AM Post #1,271 of 2,483

DUNU.jpeg

Eartips.jpeg

Switches.jpeg

DUNU_Talos.jpg

Thanks Maestro, been waiting for this post :wink:
Screenshot_20221102-090331~2.png

Dunu #4 incoming!

Nov 2, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #1,272 of 2,483
Nov 2, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #1,273 of 2,483
Wow is that the 11/11 price?? Good deal
This is pretty lame, I expect free standard shipping if my order is at least 150.

Because what's the point of discounts if you're charging 15 bucks for shipping?

Nov 2, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #1,274 of 2,483
is that from the Chi-Fi group? I can't see it as I am blocked by my dear friend xD
Yes, indeed it is. What have you done? 😅

@WAON303
This is pretty lame, I expect free standard shipping if my order is at least 150.
Because what's the point of discounts if you're charging 15 bucks for shipping?
_______
Better than 40-50$ and really fast shipping on top. Right? Pretty fair to me.

Standard shipping is free btw. 😉

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back