DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Mar 17, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #1,787 of 2,539
I believe DUNU is the company that can deliver a Single TOTL DD. After all the failures from big brands like Sennheiser and all these tribrid driver models which I feel will have coherency problems, I patiently wait for the LUNA successor, with fixed tonality.

We hear ya. That's why this project is one of those projects that lives by "when it's done, it's done."

Mar 17, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,788 of 2,539
Revisited the Dunu Zen Pro today, but this time I ran them off of the Cayin C9.

I can only think of one adjective: breathtaking.

I previously ran the Zen Pro out of the Lotoo PAW 6000 but the C9 takes it to another level entirely. It's an experience that I think every Zen Pro owner should try once at least.

2X2A0714.jpeg
There is something about the way Zen Pro presents the bass that is oh-so satisfying. It's not just loud bass, but the physical sensation of it. And the shells are surprisingly small and well built as well.

Mar 17, 2023 at 8:37 PM Post #1,789 of 2,539
I miss ZEN PRO, definitely a silly move selling them… fantastic set.

Mar 18, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #1,790 of 2,539
There is something about the way Zen Pro presents the bass that is oh-so satisfying. It's not just loud bass, but the physical sensation of it. And the shells are surprisingly small and well built as well.
Maybe they are taking a page from the old school Skullcandy Crusher (haptic bass response).... ROFL

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #1,791 of 2,539
Mar 20, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #1,793 of 2,539
On the assumption this was released to promote discussion...I really hope this isn't the finalised tuning.

graph.png

Mar 20, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #1,795 of 2,539
Why? More sub and mid bass, a bit less upper mids and treble. Subtle changes, not big differences. Perfect in my humble opinion!
Admittedly it's an HBB graph, so unlikely to fully reflect anyone else's measurements, but I think overall balance has strayed into mudcannon territory :frowning2:

The mid treble shelf seems to have been replaced with a resonance peak, boosting the bass is just adding distortion and the mids have strayed so far from balanced I think it's lost sight of the original objective for the Studio line.

If the OG is going to continue in its present form then none of this matters, but the SA6 used to offer a very viable alternative to B2 variants for people who wanted a "balanced" & properly built iem in the sub $500 range. Now that market will likely go to Kiwi Ears & Shouer.

Mar 20, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,796 of 2,539
I am wondering why HifiGo releases pictures of actual shapes to choose and even the new case and not Dunu themselves.
Same thoughts about these announcements.

Anyway... I have been fully satisfied with the current SA6 model for months.
I don't plan to change anything in the next few years neither.
I just like it the way it is :wink:

Mar 20, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #1,797 of 2,539
I am wondering why HifiGo releases pictures of actual shapes to choose and even the new case and not Dunu themselves.
There has been many examples where HiFiGo would list the items before they're listed on manufacturer's website. Most recent being Letshuoer Cadenza 12. I couldn't find much on Letshuoer's website but HiFiGo listed them as UPCOMING well before they listed anywhere else.

Mar 20, 2023 at 5:05 PM Post #1,798 of 2,539
Upper mids is the part of SA6 being maybe to gentle for my taste, the MKII is having even less upper mids/lower treble. Also with a bass boost over OG and Ultra will make it sound more v shaped and less detailed in the mids. I do hope this is an early example of the tuning that appeared on HBBs squig.link.

Still we are all different and this this is maybe what people want.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #1,799 of 2,539
Upper mids is the part of SA6 being maybe to gentle for my taste, the MKII is having even less upper mids/lower treble. Also with a bass boost over OG and Ultra will make it sound more v shaped and less detailed in the mids. I do hope this is an early example of the tuning that appeared on HBBs squig.link.

Still we are all different and this this is maybe what people want.
I, for one am glad to see the "female poison" dialed down a notch. I agree that there needs to be a certain amount in the mix, but most companies nowadays overdo it to the point of pain (for my ears) when listening. This is a really tough area to tune just right for everyone IMO. Also some cheaper IEMs use this area instead of tuning the treble region to give the perception of clarity/airyness. While the DK2001 were a bit hot (in this area) in the beginning, after some conditioning, they calmed down enough to not be painful to my ears with some volume (Munsen's Curve in play).

I notice in your sig you have the Aur Audio Neon Pro. Are you fond of them? I just ordered (probably one of the last sets of) the Aure because I was told from a friend that I implicitly trust for sound quality, that they are some of the best sounding IEMs regardless of price.

Mar 21, 2023 at 6:53 AM Post #1,800 of 2,539
I, for one am glad to see the "female poison" dialed down a notch. I agree that there needs to be a certain amount in the mix, but most companies nowadays overdo it to the point of pain (for my ears) when listening. This is a really tough area to tune just right for everyone IMO. Also some cheaper IEMs use this area instead of tuning the treble region to give the perception of clarity/airyness. While the DK2001 were a bit hot (in this area) in the beginning, after some conditioning, they calmed down enough to not be painful to my ears with some volume (Munsen's Curve in play).

I notice in your sig you have the Aur Audio Neon Pro. Are you fond of them? I just ordered (probably one of the last sets of) the Aure because I was told from a friend that I implicitly trust for sound quality, that they are some of the best sounding IEMs regardless of price.
We all hear different. But if you find female vocals to much it will be the same. As they have same energy in the vocal range, only in the upper mids where some instruments are. Still I'm no sound engineer, only speculating from what I have heard.

But yeah upper mid energy is still within a relaxed aprouch on the OG SA6 and this is even more reduced.

The best part is that the peak of the treble is closer to 8k now, making it less sharp there.

Vocal range humans: 65 Hz for a male with a very deep bass voice to the highest note of a female coloratura soprano, just above at 1,280 Hz.
graph (1) (5).png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back