DUNU - Discussion/Impressions Master Thread
Mar 2, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #1,756 of 2,571
Also, something very strange that I noticed on my unit of Zen:

The upper-midrange has noticeably lowered compared to when I first got them a couple years ago. I did an A/B with someone who has a relatively new unit of Zen, and we noticed this difference right away. Later, at home, I decided to measure my unit, and I compared to some existing graphs.

Now, to visualize the differences, all I did was normalize all the graphs to 1000Hz, zoom into the mids, and use the "Inspect" tool to check the SPL near 2370Hz or so (that's where Zen's upper-mids peak). I took the graphs of three other popular reviewers: Crin, Precog, and Super*.

The result:

1677713907716.png

It appears that mine has the lowest upper-midrange among these four, followed by Super*'s unit. Rest of the frequencies are very close between all four units, only the upper-mids are so noticeably different.

I am not sure what caused this change. I am using the Spinfit CP-500 tips, which might be a reason.

Nonetheless, an interesting observation for me and kind of explains why I do not hear the "shout" that some have attributed to the OG Zen.
coupler difference + unit matching.

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #1,758 of 2,571
To wrap out our teaser schedule, I'm excited to share a bit of a roadmap we have for this year.

Please note, a lot of things are up in the air from shells, tuning, and other releases that have not been announced yet + will not be until proper announcement are made.

I wanted to clear this up as there has been a bit of confusion about what's confirmed and what hasn't, as well as comments about other topics that I'd like to address.

We will be bringing some of these releases to shows and meets as we can. We are looking at attending both Canjam SoCal and Dallas this year, but none of that is confirmed. I will update shows we are attending in China and the rest of the world as we hear more information from our mainland team.

Currently, we have confirmed the following:
  • A first release sometime in April to May that sets the standard for this year.
  • SA6 Mk2 - Nothing final about this release outside of driver count that will remain the same.
  • SA16 - Nothing is final about this release outside of driver count and TOTL status (12 BA + 4 EST).
  • SA10 - Nothing is final about this release outside of driver count (6BA + 4 EST).
  • A single DD successor to the Luna and Zen Pro. Nothing is final about this release. When it's done, it's done.
  • A few other releases that will be announced as they are ready to be launched as more traditional products.
  • More™ soon™...cables...accessories, you know how we du don't nu?
As always, things can change. Things get pushed back, moved around, and other surprises get bumped forward. It's just the nature of the industry we're in! We will do our best to communicate that to you through our thread here and other official social platforms.

We also have begun discussions around a dealer in the EU to provide a little more access to DUNU products, and we will hopefully be able to share more info on that soon if negotiations work out. So the brand is aware, if you'd support this dealer and purchase our products through them, please quote this post so we can get some sort of aheadcount.

Headphones.com ran by @TaronL and Andrew will continue to serve as our major dealer in North America, and we are excited to continue growing the relationship with them in many ways.

The theme of this year for the company is "future" and with that in mind, we are very excited about what's coming soon™.

Until then, happy listening and discussing our current products! Want us to consider making a product? Drop a reply with an idea. You never know where it could go :)

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,759 of 2,571
To wrap out our teaser schedule, I'm excited to share a bit of a roadmap we have for this year.

Please note, a lot of things are up in the air from shells, tuning, and other releases that have not been announced yet + will not be until proper announcement are made.

I wanted to clear this up as there has been a bit of confusion about what's confirmed and what hasn't, as well as comments about other topics that I'd like to address.

We will be bringing some of these releases to shows and meets as we can. We are looking at attending both Canjam SoCal and Dallas this year, but none of that is confirmed. I will update shows we are attending in China and the rest of the world as we hear more information from our mainland team.

• A first release sometime in April to May that sets the standard for this year.
  • SA6 Mk2 - Nothing final about this release outside of driver count that will remain the same.
  • SA16 - Nothing is final about this release outside of driver count and TOTL status (12 BA + 4 EST).
  • SA10 - Nothing is final about this release outside of driver count (6BA + 4 EST).
  • A single DD successor to the Luna and Zen Pro. Nothing is final about this release. When it's done, it's done.
  • A few other releases that will be announced as they are ready to be launched as more traditional products.
As always, things can change. Things get pushed back, moved around, and other surprises get bumped forward. It's just the nature of the industry we're in! We will do our best to communicate that to you through our thread here and other official social platforms.

We also have begun discussions around a dealer in the EU to provide a little more access to DUNU products, and we will hopefully be able to share more info on that soon if negotiations work out. So the brand is aware, if you'd support this dealer and purchase our products through them, please quote this post so we can get some sort of aheadcount.

Headphones.com ran by @TaronL and Andrew will continue to serve as our major dealer in North America, and we are excited to continue growing the relationship with them in many ways.

The theme of this year for the company is "future" and with that in mind, we are very excited about what's coming soon™.

Until then, happy listening and discussing our current products! Want us to consider making a product? Drop a reply with an idea. You never know where it go :)
Big line-up for 2023, will be fun seeing where the different sets land in price. Thanks for info.

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:49 PM Post #1,760 of 2,571
Whatever DUNU has planned, I know many are watching. DUNU was really helpful to me as a sort of gauge regarding how far Chi-fi had come since my audio "hiatus" when I first came back to head-fi almost 3 years ago.

It was looking at DUNU that made me step back and realize I was sooooo far behind the curve about how far personal audio had come since I more or less left the hobby ~2014/2015. I have much respect for DUNU and I'll be watching with interest for any totl DD or DD-hybrids that may be coming.

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #1,761 of 2,571

Until then, happy listening and discussing our current products! Want us to consider making a product? Drop a reply with an idea. You never know where it could go :)
Definitely looking forward to the Luna/Zen successor. And yes, would love an EU storefront.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:15 PM Post #1,762 of 2,571

Hyped to see and listen to those multi driver iems when they come along. Would love to see you guys expand to headphones cables (dual 3.5mm and such). I have the Blanche for iems, would love to see a longer version but for my Hifiman Aryas and perhaps with a purple sleeving like iBasso's cb16 cable. Try to spice things up like you guys did with the green Dunu Viridian.

Mar 5, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #1,763 of 2,571
I can confirm we will have a release in Spring, but it is not what any of you all are expecting. I look forward to your reactions when it gets announced, as no one has an idea :).
if you knew...😅

Mar 6, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,764 of 2,571
Big line-up for 2023, will be fun seeing where the different sets land in price. Thanks for info.

Of course!

Whatever DUNU has planned, I know many are watching. DUNU was really helpful to me as a sort of gauge regarding how far Chi-fi had come since my audio "hiatus" when I first came back to head-fi almost 3 years ago.

It was looking at DUNU that made me step back and realize I was sooooo far behind the curve about how far personal audio had come since I more or less left the hobby ~2014/2015. I have much respect for DUNU and I'll be watching with interest for any totl DD or DD-hybrids that may be coming.

We appreciate this so much! This is why we do this!

Definitely looking forward to the Luna/Zen successor. And yes, would love an EU storefront.

Great to hear, noted.

Hyped to see and listen to those multi driver iems when they come along. Would love to see you guys expand to headphones cables (dual 3.5mm and such). I have the Blanche for iems, would love to see a longer version but for my Hifiman Aryas and perhaps with a purple sleeving like iBasso's cb16 cable. Try to spice things up like you guys did with the green Dunu Viridian.

Yes, more cables is absolutely something you can get excited for this year.

if you knew...😅

I dunu, do I nu?

Mar 6, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #1,765 of 2,571

I remember in an interview video, Dunu chief engineer mentioned that EST112 is only a lower end product of that tribrid line. Would be interesting to hear further development on that front.

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #1,768 of 2,571
The search is already underway for an EU dealer as we know you guys need one. I'll provide updates when we have them.

Let me know if you need a liaison in Portugal. We may work together to bring these to Europe.

Great job DUNU... I hope you get some good access to those that really want a great DUNU product... :)

Yes!

Mar 7, 2023 at 12:36 PM Post #1,769 of 2,571

Amazing news. Keep it up. And keep us posted.
Thank you @Sebastien Chiu

Mar 7, 2023 at 1:43 PM Post #1,770 of 2,571
I remember in an interview video, Dunu chief engineer mentioned that EST112 is only a lower end product of that tribrid line. Would be interesting to hear further development on that front.

I have no comment on that since I am not aware of any more tribids coming to the line-up this year. I will ask around and see if there's anything I can share on that end.

This is great, if also cryptic, news... :)
Maybe with all the new stuff constantly being worked on the company slogan should be something like:

DUNU
We DU it NU just for you!

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :thumbsup:

We du dunu it just for you :wink:

Let me know if you need a liaison in Portugal. We may work together to bring these to Europe.

Yes!
Amazing news. Keep it up. And keep us posted.
Thank you @Sebastien Chiu

Sure thing. Will do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back