DT990 600OHM (EX-) Owners Please Advice On DAC/Amp
May 21, 2011 at 5:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

triegh

New Head-Fier
I had read around and listened to a lot of headphones in the past week, decided on getting the Beyer Dynamic DT990 as my first real can yesterday. I like the airy and wide soundstage in the bright open headphone but those seem to disappear either without a DAC or amp. I'm not saying I dislike the headphone un-amp at all though.

Throughout the countless thread and posts in Head-Fi I had browsed,

1. There are words out there saying the FiiO E7/E9 combo is enough to drive the 600OHMs yet some deny.

2. There are minority who claim the Little Dot MK is not good enough to bring out the "correct" sound out of the can yet some deny.

3. There are case where one share they spent more than several thousands before they got the right and best sound out of the DT990 600OHMs yet some suggest the WA3 or any warm tube will do.

I do not want to restrict myself to a budget but I like to know what's the most common and best value (cheapest) DAC/amp that most of you DT990 owners are using. Thank you.

May 21, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 19
I can't offer too much other than I felt the Burson HA-160 was satisfactory to drive the DT880(600)s but I would hate to hear what something with less "guts" would sound like.  Well I guess I know the answer to that as I have also tried the DT880(600)s out of just a uDac2 and it was, in my opinion, inadequate.  It is, however, entirely possible that my preceptions will not be the same as yours. I'd be interested to hear what others recommend for 600 ohm Beyers.

May 22, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 19
Well, I can only offer a meager impression for my DT990 600s.  I own only a Headroom Airhead and a Bottlehead Crack. I can definitely tell you the Airhead wasn't really up to it, but that's hardly a surprise.  Crack is definitely doing a good job of driving them, and that's a steal at $219 + elbow grease (+99 with the Speedball option).

May 22, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 19
I did not think that the E9 was adequate for the DT's.  My Pioneer's hp jack was better.  I did not have the E7 though.  At that time I was using a Forte as the dac and went to my receiver.  I now have a TubeMagicD1 going to my receiver and am quite happy for now.

May 22, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #5 of 19
Hm it'd be interesting to hear more Little Dot feedback on them.  I think the little dot drives them rather well.  Wonder what they mean by not 'correct' sound though, it's generally advised to mix the overly bright treble of the DT990s with warm tubes.

May 22, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by triegh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

3. There are case where one share they spent more than several thousands before they got the right and best sound out of the DT990 600OHMs yet some suggest the WA3 or any warm tube will do.

I'm happy with the WA3 (and the Havana as source), which I don't consider a warm tube amp. The Earmax I used to own was clearly warmer and more tubey.

May 22, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #7 of 19
I am an DT990/600 ex-owner. I paired the DT990 with the way too expensive Beyerdynamic A1. Apparently the A1 makes the 600 Ohm versions sound like Beyer intended.
I also have the Zero DAC '09.

Let me tell you this: they sound identical. Don't waste your money on amps. The built in DAC of the Zero might be a bottleneck in the long run, but as far as amping goes, budget is all you need!

May 23, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
I am an DT990/600 ex-owner. I paired the DT990 with the way too expensive Beyerdynamic A1. Apparently the A1 makes the 600 Ohm versions sound like Beyer intended.
I also have the Zero DAC '09.

Let me tell you this: they sound identical. Don't waste your money on amps. The built in DAC of the Zero might be a bottleneck in the long run, but as far as amping goes, budget is all you need!

In my opinion the DT990/600 sounds different depending on the amp you use. I've compared it at meets and at home and so far a good OTL amp made it sound best. I haven't heard the amps you describe but I advise to get a good OTL amp like the WA3, 337, 339 or even a Bottlehead Crack, elekit or Ming Da if you're on a budget

May 23, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 19
Hm it'd be interesting to hear more Little Dot feedback on them.  I think the little dot drives them rather well.  Wonder what they mean by not 'correct' sound though, it's generally advised to mix the overly bright treble of the DT990s with warm tubes.

I never copy down nor bookmark the thread with the exact post in it but I'm sure I did saw rebutting comment on the Little Dot amp. I think an indirect proof will be Ultrainferno comment.. He recommended 6 amps but none says about LDMK.

Is HRT Music Streamer II the DAC used for your DT990 600OHMs? Can you briefly describe the improvement or differences with the setup you owned?
In my opinion the DT990/600 sounds different depending on the amp you use. I've compared it at meets and at home and so far a good OTL amp made it sound best. I haven't heard the amps you describe but I advise to get a good OTL amp like the WA3, 337, 339 or even a Bottlehead Crack, elekit or Ming Da if you're on a budget

Do you mind giving me a link to Ming Da products? Google search result on my browser came back with $700+ pricetag but you did mentioned 'budget'. I believe Bottlehead Crack is only around $200+?

I'll be trying several DAC and amps which my friend own (e.g Darkvoice. He's using this to drive his T1 and HD650) sometime this week. Please keep your suggestion or opinion coming. Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 19
Bottlehead Crack: http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=224&rn=442&action=show_detail (don't forget to look at the speedball upgrade)
Ming Da MC84 C07: http://www.pacificvalve.us/MDMC84C07.html The Meixing site doesn't display this one
I think some other sites even sell it cheaper (or the FS boards), don't know if you're in the US or europe

I forgot the AudioTailor Jade, a good amp as well

Don't forget to look at Skylab's amps review: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/402585/review-summary-a-ranking-of-31-tube-and-tube-hybrid-headphone-amps

May 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

Is HRT Music Streamer II the DAC used for your DT990 600OHMs? Can you briefly describe the improvement or differences with the setup you owned?

The music streamer gave the music some thicker mids and overall gave everything a tiny bit more weight and punch.  I couldn't notice much of a difference in soundstage or detail.  Biggest advantage is just not having your computer give jitter or static to your music when under stress.

May 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #14 of 19
Both the same 600 Ohm, why not? 
If we concern too much about price mismatch, then upgrade the phone lol 
L3000.gif

Ps I found a great match for Woo WA6 + 880 (250 Ohm) but not 880 (600 Ohm). So, minute EL34 will be worth considering. There is binding post to connect to speaker as well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back