DT880 vs DT990 | Comparison & Review
Dec 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #136 of 169
So I have both the DT990-250 and DT880-600 for about a week now.  With stock pads, I like the DT880 better.  It's smoother through the entire FR. 

However, DT990 sounds better with a set of Shure earpads that DT880.  They take on a totally different characteristic after the pad change.  Sound is now even more smooth than the DT880 in fact a bit over-smoothed.  It takes maybe about 30 seconds after putting headphone on to get used to the sound because the highs are a bit muted and the mids are a bit muffly.  But, the rewarding part is the sound is much more musical and organic. 

I read about how people describe the Audeze LCD2 in the same way.  So, I ordered a pair of LCD2

Jan 15, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #138 of 169
  Hey Viggen did your LCD 2 arrive?

Im really curious about how dt990 sounds compared to lcd2 thanks

I am glad you asked.  I had completely written off the Beyer cans after I received the LCD2s that they've been sitting on my shelf untouched for about two weeks now and about to be returned to amazon.  After reading your question, I decided to give them a listen again.

I purchased a new dac/headamp, and it just arrived today.  It's a RWA HPA Pro.  With the LCD2 plugged in, the LCD2 sounds more neutral/flat/real.  I miss a bit of that rounded bass and darkish highs it had with other dac/amp pairings.  Not bad sound but the flavor is less.

Now, with the Beyers, first the 990, the grating treble is smoooooth and detailed.  Air air air.  The bass is no longer muddled but is merely present without calling attention to itself.  The mids are not recessed anymore.  The phones sound very balanced while still retaining it's own flavor/personality. 

With the 880, though you didn't ask, the sound is similar to the 990.  It still retains it's own flavor but with more emphasis in smoothness in the mids.  Soundstage is a tad small but mids is a bit thicker.

Both the Beyers sounds are to die for with the RWA.  They both took 5 or 6 steps forwards compared to when plugged into my other dac/amps.  The LCD2 still sounds good but only stepped maybe 1 or 2 steps forward when powered by RWA.

Perhaps it's the Beyers that demand better source/amps more so than the LCD2s?  I always thought it's the other way around based on what's written on these threads.

If I bought the RWA before the LCDs, I probably wouldn't have purchased the LCDs because I am completely satisifed with the RWA/Beyer pairing.

Yes, the LCD2 still sounds "better".  But, it's not $800 better than the 990 when either is plugged into the RWA.  In terms of just pure musical enjoyment, I can be perfectly happy with the Beyers when they are plugged into the RWA whereas it's the LCD2 that's sounding slightly bit analytical atm.

Caveat, the RWA is new and will burn in a bit I suppose.  I also got some NOS tubes that's supposed to improve the RWA further. 

Other caveat.  Maybe I need to run balanced to get the most out of the LCD2s?

Jan 15, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #139 of 169
Thanks for the reply 

Im running lcd2 with the mjolnir and i just recently got the dt990 which im running from an aune t1 (this is a 140~ dollars dac amp)  from what you are experiencing i think dt990 have better scaling than the lcd 2. the dt 990 already sound amazing out of my aune t1 XD. I'll be getting an Asgard 2 hopefully they sound even better.

I honestly can't tell the difference between lcd2s running balanced from mjolnir and running single ended from my aune t1. also aune t1 out puts 1 watt where mjolnir does 8 watt (maybe because i have bad ears? lol) . 

Jan 15, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #140 of 169
  Thanks for the reply 

Im running lcd2 with the mjolnir and i just recently got the dt990 which im running from an aune t1 (this is a 140~ dollars dac amp)  from what you are experiencing i think dt990 have better scaling than the lcd 2. the dt 990 already sound amazing out of my aune t1 XD. I'll be getting an Asgard 2 hopefully they sound even better.

I honestly can't tell the difference between lcd2s running balanced from mjolnir and running single ended from my aune t1. also aune t1 out puts 1 watt where mjolnir does 8 watt (maybe because i have bad ears? lol) . 

Perhaps there isn't one... 
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #142 of 169
Just broke my DT 990 pros I've had for 6 years.
Loved em to death.My computer chair loved the coiled cable as well.
biggrin.gif

I remember when I first listened to them,I didn't like them.

Then after a few months loved them.

I just needed to run them in.

I played some louder music through them and left them for a while on the desk.

Then they sounded INCREDIBLE!

They are so comfortable to wear and built like a tank.

If they lasted 6 years for me,they will last forever with everyone else.

I listen to tons of older music like Little Feat,The Tubes,Genesis,Vangelis and I think the 990 Pros are perfect for  70s music to give it a bit of excitement.

Another thing.

Our ears are all different.

My ears naturally build up with wax alot so maybe I'm not hearing as much brightness as others.

How many people have different shaped ears and different levels of wax?

That is another factor in choosing the right sounding phones.

Maybe the OP has naturally pristinely clean ear drums.

I want to buy another set of DT 990 pros.

I love the way they sound.

P.S. My Original Master headphone amp is still purring along like a chesire cat.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:00 AM Post #143 of 169
  Good review. I had a pretty crazy time with Beyerdynamic headphones.

Tried the DT770... thought it was about half as good as my D2000s

Tried the DT990... fell in love instantly until a few hours later when I realized how recessed the midrange and is how awfully shrill the highs are

Tried the DT880... thought they were a great balanced pair of cans but nothing amazing to be honest. Was about to give up on Beyer until I...

Tried the Tesla T1s. Most amazing pair of headphones I've ever had. Trumps the HD800 and D7000 for me. They have a similar balanced signature to the DT880, but taken to a completely different level.

That's strange.I had the exact opposite feeling when I put on my dt 990 pros.
Thought they were shrill.
I was so disappointed that I spent money on them and ready to leave em on the shelf.
Then after burning em in,fell in true love.
atsmile.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #144 of 169
  NOTE: Both these were the 600ohm variant and were tested out of my MKIII through my P1260 using a large variety of music

Hi and thanks for the review. 
I do not understand which amp have you actually used in the test.  Brand and model i mean.
I am very interested in both HP indeed and i am trying to understand which would be a good way to drive them.
I am wating for the 880 old version and negotiating the buy of one 990 Premium. Both 600 ohm of course.
Thanks again and regards,  gino

Aug 26, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #145 of 169
I only have DT 880 600 ohm and they do have an overall bright and light tonal approach. What I mean is they do not have a very full, weighty or "warm" delivery. They do have a great coherence and an excellent amount of space and air, and a nice "soundstage". That is their stand out qualities to me. Despite their lack of added "warmth" they are surprisingly amazing with classical orchestral music because you get a you are in the hall thing going on. I like them pretty well on rock and pop vocal stuff too- voice reproduction is nice- and when there's lots of vocal tracks in the mix they really impress (try Fleetwood Mac "Sara"). They are indeed "bright", but it's a different kind of bright- very clean and clear- not a harsh distorted bright- for that reason I don't find their highs to be problematic. Relatively light and comfy- the 880's are staying in the stable.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:06 AM Post #146 of 169
I only have DT 880 600 ohm and they do have an overall bright and light tonal approach. What I mean is they do not have a very full, weighty or "warm" delivery. They do have a great coherence and an excellent amount of space and air, and a nice "soundstage". That is their stand out qualities to me. Despite their lack of added "warmth" they are surprisingly amazing with classical orchestral music because you get a you are in the hall thing going on. I like them pretty well on rock and pop vocal stuff too- voice reproduction is nice- and when there's lots of vocal tracks in the mix they really impress (try Fleetwood Mac "Sara"). They are indeed "bright", but it's a different kind of bright- very clean and clear- not a harsh distorted bright- for that reason I don't find their highs to be problematic. Relatively light and comfy- the 880's are staying in the stable.

Hi and thanks for the very valuable advice.
I find that sometimes the added warmth you mention can make the sound less real.  In particular i rate very highly the " to be there " feeling you describe very well.  Very very highly. This is for me the ultimate goal of any playback system.
If the HPs do their part they must be basically very very good indeed.

I have finally received my dt880 600 ohm (old version) that i like already as i like the akg 240 Monitor (600 ohm) and k501 (to explain my taste).
I think that i will focus on amp selection now (even if i have an interesting offer for a nice pair of q701 ... ).
May i ask you which amp are you using to drive them
rolleyes.gif

( sorry if you have already mentioned it in an older post
redface.gif
 )
I guess that the dt880 are basically very very good.
And also a very powerful tool to judge the sound quality of a set-up (i.e. source and amp)
A good amp is really mandatory.
The challenge is to find one at reasonable cost.
I have one possible candidate but i need more time to evaluate it.
But we have all the time in the world ... (really nice song).
Thanks a lot again
Kind regards,  gino

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #148 of 169
I just ordered the DT990 and going to be driving them with a Lyr 2.  Everything I have read about the DT990 premium 600ohm is that they need a good amp to shine.  Considering I have the LCD 2 and was able to run them off my Lyr 1 I can't imagine a Lyr not being able to do the job here.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #149 of 169
In answer to Genetto61. To drive the Beyer 880's I got the Schitt Vali 2. I have a Magni also but the Beyers sound better with the Vali. It makes a good pairing. The tubes bring that extra little bit of bass kick and tonal flesh to the music, but avoid the overly warm syrup sound some tube amps can have. There is a slight loss of clarity compared to magni. but the overall picture is better on the Beyer set.
I use the Magni with Denon ADH 5000 which is a good combo too- more than enough clean clear juice for those cans.

Aug 31, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #150 of 169

Quote:
  In answer to Genetto61. To drive the Beyer 880's I got the Schitt Vali 2. I have a Magni also but the Beyers sound better with the Vali. It makes a good pairing.
The tubes bring that extra little bit of bass kick and tonal flesh to the music, but avoid the overly warm syrup sound some tube amps can have.
There is a slight loss of clarity compared to magni. but the overall picture is better on the Beyer set.
I use the Magni with Denon ADH 5000 which is a good combo too- more than enough clean clear juice for those cans.

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful advice.  I have already a Magni 2 (not Uber version) and i like it.
The main problem that i find is that while getting a clean and low noise sound is feasible usually solid state amp have a hard and flat midrange. 
It is the midrange that instead can be very good with tubes. Instead i like without question the solid state bass so much more ... i like it powerful but in check. 
I will try again the Magni with the dt880 and listen.  
Thanks again,  gino   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back