DT880 vs DT990 | Comparison & Review
May 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM Post #121 of 169
Thanks for your comments.

I felt I was kind of rude toward the Beyers in this review, especially the DT990. But I in now way want to attack DT990 owners and say what they like is trash. Many viewed my conclusion to the DT990 very harsh, and I really didn't intend it that way, hence I added a note in which one should read it with a sense of humor. My first two comparisons I made the losing headphone seem like the bad guy, but I realize it's all about preference, and that many users love the headphone that I didn't appreciate. That's the exact reason I took a turn in my next two comparisons and I didn't raid on the headphone I found inferior. But I'm glad people are still enjoying my first few comparisons even though they are more harsh than my others. I'm only reviewing the headphone, not the users that use that headphone.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #122 of 169
Thank you for the review and highly informative thread! I was wondering about the differences between the DT880 being semi-open and the DT990 being fully open. Do the DT880s attenuate outside noise better than the DT990s (and have less leaking to the outside)? Does it effect the sound quality, or perhaps be the reason for the difference between the DT880 and DT990? Or is it a very subtle difference between semi-open and open? I'd like to know if semi-open is really "the best of both worlds" between open and closed, as claimed on the manufacturer's website.

Jan 22, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #123 of 169
Quote:
Thank you for the review and highly informative thread! I was wondering about the differences between the DT880 being semi-open and the DT990 being fully open. Do the DT880s attenuate outside noise better than the DT990s (and have less leaking to the outside)? Does it effect the sound quality, or perhaps be the reason for the difference between the DT880 and DT990? Or is it a very subtle difference between semi-open and open? I'd like to know if semi-open is really "the best of both worlds" between open and closed, as claimed on the manufacturer's website.

I believe the DT 880 is pretty much open in terms of isolation from outside noise (ie not much isolation at all),  but in terms of sound signature, they sound quite different from the 990.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:15 AM Post #124 of 169
Let's set the record straight on this - the 770,880 and 990 phones were developed for the professional studio - their primary purpose is not domestic and it is in that latter environment that you have concentrated. In the the recording studio the Beyers have proven themselves far superior in all respects, rugged construction, comfort, zero-maintenance costs and much longer lasting than any competitor I've ever experienced.
As for that all important sound signature, you are in disagreement with those who record and mix the music you and other consumers of music end up listening to. If you don't like the sound that the mix and mastering engineers created then it is your perogative to use equipment that subverts the intended sound to your preferred aesthetic. However, having said that I should be quick to defend you on this last point to the extent that Hi-Fi equipment itself has a sound-print that is often UN-sympathetic to acurate, professional speakers and headphones - it's deliberately designed to have sound signature that works well with other domestic equipment and to flatter the aesthetic proclivities of their customers. I actually tend to agree that these headphones may not suit a Hi-Fi situation, and I believe it was a mistake for Beyer to suggest that HI-Fi users could invest in them too - they're not designed for that market. BUT PLEASE do not rubbish them in this way - they are staple studio headphones for a very good reason! They are damn good and easy to get a great mix with and for long hours of tireless studio recording - that is a track record that is very hard to fight.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #125 of 169
"aesthetic proclivities", eh? I'm very much into aesthetic proclivities.

Your post makes some good points, though I'm not sure it takes into account Beyer's marketing strategy or profit margin. However, we ought not to get too worked up one way or the other, as a) the OP was clearly being at least partly tongue-in-cheek, and b) the original section of this thread is so old the posters are probably in nursing homes by now, or else deaf, and thus no longer capable of hearing how bright Beyer phones really are. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #126 of 169
Great review and bold opinion.

As always it is sometimes difficult to tell how much of a reviewer's opinion is due to his preference and predilection, and the DT880 seem to have attracted much diverse opinion may be different people's tolerance of the brighter signature. Last time I heard it, I thought it was a great set of cans. I have owned some Grado which I cannot handle the piercing treble, but DT880 still do fine with me.

In DavidMahler's review of the 50 flagship phones, the DT 880 is one of only four headphones on his list that I have awarded an A+ value rating (the other three being the Audio-Technica ATH-AD900, the Sennheiser HD600, and the HifiMan HE-500). That may be telling.

Dec 9, 2012 at 4:20 AM Post #127 of 169
After listening to both the DT 990 and DT 880 a good amount, I firmly believe the DT 990 is the superior headphone in basically every way other than the DT 880 having a flatter frequency response. I don't find the DT 990s treble offensive except on poor recordings or poor system synergy, and the DT 880 is also offensive under the same conditions, just not as offensive. I'm actually very sensitive to treble and sibilance. I think many people just prefer a warmer and darker sound is all, and I can't blame them because of how poorly songs are mastered now. If all songs were mastered well then the DT 990s or DT 880s and many other brighter headphones would almost never be harsh.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:43 AM Post #128 of 169
Not sure if this thread is dead yet or not, but I have a question.  I owned the DT880-600ohm model for almost a month.  I got a good buy on it new ... $242.   I ended up returning it within the 30 day return window to fund another purchase (A Little Dot MKIV SE, on its way).  I thought it was a tad bright (not much, though), and the bass a tad light (more problematic than the treble, and ultimately the fatal blow).   This is driven by an Asgard and a Lyr.  I'm now entertaining trying the DT990's but I'm not sure if this is a prudent move on my part.  My favorite phones so far are the HE-500.  I don't really care for the SennHD650 as I find the sub-bass unextended, and the mid-bass bloated (this is what worries me about the DT990s.... that they may be guilty of the same thing), and the highs rolled off undesirably. 

If money were no object, I'd go right to the T1 .... but this is not in the cards at the moment.

Should I try the DT990 ?

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #129 of 169
Quote:
Not sure if this thread is dead yet or not, but I have a question.  I owned the DT880-600ohm model for almost a month.  I got a good buy on it new ... $242.   I ended up returning it within the 30 day return window to fund another purchase (A Little Dot MKIV SE, on its way).  I thought it was a tad bright (not much, though), and the bass a tad light (more problematic than the treble, and ultimately the fatal blow).   This is driven by an Asgard and a Lyr.  I'm now entertaining trying the DT990's but I'm not sure if this is a prudent move on my part.  My favorite phones so far are the HE-500.  I don't really care for the SennHD650 as I find the sub-bass unextended, and the mid-bass bloated (this is what worries me about the DT990s.... that they may be guilty of the same thing), and the highs rolled off undesirably. 

If money were no object, I'd go right to the T1 .... but this is not in the cards at the moment.

Should I try the DT990 ?

The DT 990 has a good amount more bass than the DT 880. I never really found it bloated like the HD 650's bass rather I found it more controlled and precise, but it is more prominent in the bass region than the HD 650 though. It's been a little while since I compared the 990 and 650 though. The DT 990 has a little more treble energy than the DT 880, but a very simple EQ will make it tolerable if it bothers you. The mids are a tad distant on the DT 990 so an amp that is mid-oriented goes very well with them, if the amp tames the treble a little as well, even better. Other than that the DT 990 is more detailed and has a bigger and better soundstage than the DT 880. I personally found the DT 880 a bit boring and the DT 990 more fun and exciting. If you are worried about too much bass on the DT 990, the Pro version has the most bass. The DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm(haven't heard the 32 or 250 Ohm Premium so can't comment on them), I found to have a little tamer treble and less prominent bass than the Pro version I own. I hope this helps you some.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #130 of 169
Quote:

The DT 990 has a good amount more bass than the DT 880. I never really found it bloated like the HD 650's bass rather I found it more controlled and precise, but it is more prominent in the bass region than the HD 650 though. It's been a little while since I compared the 990 and 650 though. The DT 990 has a little more treble energy than the DT 880, but a very simple EQ will make it tolerable if it bothers you. The mids are a tad distant on the DT 990 so an amp that is mid-oriented goes very well with them, if the amp tames the treble a little as well, even better. Other than that the DT 990 is more detailed and has a bigger and better soundstage than the DT 880. I personally found the DT 880 a bit boring and the DT 990 more fun and exciting. If you are worried about too much bass on the DT 990, the Pro version has the most bass. The DT 990 Premium 600 Ohm(haven't heard the 32 or 250 Ohm Premium so can't comment on them), I found to have a little tamer treble and less prominent bass than the Pro version I own. I hope this helps you some.

It does, thanks!

May 4, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #131 of 169
I've owned my DT990 600 Ohm premium cans for around a month now one thing I have noticed is that low quality music gets very muddy sounding at high volumes, sub bass gets sloppy sounding mids fall rite off and highs aren't bright.

So I have had to upgrade all of my music to at least FLAC, as long as I am listening to FLAC or better these cans sound amazing and I love them. If I watch something on youtube I prefer my old 100$ cans because they actually sound better with low crap quality music. 

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #132 of 169
Thank you for the review!! I'm sitting here with both the DT 880s and DT 990s in front of me. I thought I was crazy in finding the 880s very uncomfortable! Glad to hear I'm sane in this respect. I was considering getting another pair just to make sure I didn't get a mis-shaped one. Yes, my ears definitely touch the inner foam of the cups, and I can't wear them for more than 10-15 minutes without having to take them off due to discomfort. My other headphones are much more comfortable, with the only caveat being that they're closed and the limiting factor is my ears getting too hot. (Zen Aurvana Live, ATH-A500)

So for me as well, the 990s are definitely more comfortable. Sound-wise, you'd think there's more of a difference based on what you read here, but when keeping perspective by comparing with other brands' sound signatures, the 880s and 990s are closer than you'd think. I can't really say which one I like more, especially since I'm no stranger to EQ (and as it turns out, I most often give slight boosts to the bass & treble anyways).

The deciding factor though is the comfort. I'm not going to be using a headphone that's uncomfortable, so that takes the 880s out. It's a shame, yet again, in some ways it ends up making my job in deciding easier.

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:02 AM Post #133 of 169
So, over Thanksgiving weekend, I bought a pair of DT990 pro and a pair of DT1350.  I think they finally settled down after a week of rather lifeless soundingness.  What I am reading about DT990 having V-shaped FR really mirrors my own observations.  In fact, I find the sound "more perfect" when I place my hand slightly over the cups where the model # is at.  This tones down the bass and focuses the mids more.  I like that.  Does this mean I will like the DT880 more?  The DT1350 has better mids but soundstage is completely different like from inside your head sounding.

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #134 of 169
Lol what a waste, looks like a child's temper tantrum hahah. If you didn't like them you could have sold them as used but in new condition. 

Btw mine don't have terrible highs, they are a bit bright but I adjust my E.Q. accordingly. Bass is nice and clean and punchy not overpowering. I agree on the recessed mids though. 

I wonder though if your cans might have been broke from the start? You might have also been able to bring them back and get different ones. 

Dec 20, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #135 of 169
I find the dt990 250ohm unbearably shrilly. If I could, I would like to tone down the treble and see if that will work by modding it by including a circular foam between the ears and the drivers, but do not know where to get the foam materials from.

Anyone have suggestions as to where to find materials for me to cut them out?
Thread for reference: http://www.head-fi.org/t/351227/how-to-convert-dt-880-into-dt-990-and-vice-versa-dt-770-info

(Didn't find any links or suggestions for materials)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back