DT880 vs DT990 | Comparison & Review
Jun 4, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #151 of 169
I recently posted a review of the DT 880 Pro. I also own the DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm. I agree with your findings. However, after experimenting with EQ a bit I did get the 990 to be quite enjoyable. A simple -2db at 6khz, -6db at 8khz, and -3db at 10khz worked wonders for me.

Aug 11, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #152 of 169
I've had the 880/250 for awhile now. When I got them I had a ODAC and a O2 amp to run them. Everything I tried to run through them just sounded wrong. So I put them up and moved on to other cans. Well this week I sent both my grados out to be modded and my he-400s are in the bedroom so I was like why not try them again now that I have a bifrost and asguard2. All I can say is WOW. They have come alive like I would have never believed. So yes these cans depend very much on your source and amp but they can sound wonderful.

Feb 10, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #153 of 169
Very nice write up, and great comparison, thanks for putting in the time. Although I agree with many of your remarks, I tend to disagree with some of your conclusions.

I agree that the DT990 does have a u-shape sound signature: emphasis on lows, recessed mids, emphasis on treble. Although the recessed mids may remove from a full bodied sound, I wouldn't characterize the DT990 as lacking body.

Here is my experience with the two headphones to present another opinion:
While auditioning headphones to determine which ones I should purchase, I was able to compare both the DT990 250 Ohm and DT880. When comparing them I immediately noticed the difference described by Katun: more bass and more treble. I must admit that the treble on the DT990 was even harsh on the ones I listened too, and I much preferred the treble of the DT880. Yet when switching back and forth, I couldn't help but favor the sound of the DT990. The DT880 has a more analytical sound than the DT990: less bass, more present mids, and less treble. All of these were very detailed and quite enjoyable. When listening to the DT990, the bass would always blow me away: it was powerful, had strong impact, was detailed and clean. I was surprised that an open ear headphone could deliver such good bass. Yet the harsh treble prevented me from appreciating everything I was hearing. So I left the store with quite a problem: I wanted the bass of the DT990s, with the smoother treble of the DT880s. After reading tons of post here I settled for the DT990 600 Ohm version. Paired with the LD MK III they sound amazing. The treble is no longer harsh and the bass is even tighter than before.
I think that these two headphones are really aimed at different audiences: the DT880 is a more analytical headphone with a slight emphasis on treble which make it a very revealing headphone; the DT990 is a more fun headphone with an emphasis on bass. In the end the DT990 just suited me better. Although its sound signature will not be everyones cup of tee, its the headphone that allowed me to appreciate and enjoy my music.

That is what i did and think same. At the end, got the dt990, pair it with LD MK3, on my AW35 dap otg with XD-05 (LME49720 opamp).

Feb 13, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #154 of 169
Could I get some feedback on the amount of sound leakage on both the 880 and 990 from owners? Also, how would they compare with the srh1440 from Shure, and the Sennheiser hd599?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #155 of 169
Could I get some feedback on the amount of sound leakage on both the 880 and 990 from owners? Also, how would they compare with the srh1440 from Shure, and the Sennheiser hd599?
Cheers.

With regards to sound leakage, they are no worse than any other open-back can. Better than the 650... They really are more like a bass-reflex design, so the "slats" do block a bit of sound from escaping. I wouldn't be at all self-conscious about wearing them... Though the 770 will be best for a quiet office or library situation.

NK

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #156 of 169
Now I know what some mean when they mention "synergies." My DT880 (250 ohm) synergizes well with my Eitr > Modi > Vali 2 set-up. Especially with the Matsushita and Philips 7DJ8 tubes. It has accompanied me on many long listening sessions lately.

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #157 of 169
This is really quite and old thread... but when all of you talk about the DT990, are you talking about the PRO or the Edition (Premium) model?

Just to clarify, as some say the 990 PRO hás more bass than the Edition/Premium...

Mar 10, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #158 of 169
This is really quite and old thread... but when all of you talk about the DT990, are you talking about the PRO or the Edition (Premium) model?

Just to clarify, as some say the 990 PRO hás more bass than the Edition/Premium...
bro some of these or probably most dont even post here, but im betting most are talking about the premiums and OP is talking about the 600ohm which is premiums if you get the DT990 buy the $10 hifiman velour earpads and put them on the DT990 fixes the treble and adds better/more bass I have the DT990 600 ohm premium modded but it's a hackjob with $50 focuspad-a so I won't recommend it but the velours are like 85%-90% as good

Apr 7, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #159 of 169
Hello people, need an advice. I want to finally buy one of these Beyers, which one do you recommend?
Can't test them IRL, i can always send them back tho and try another one.

I listen mainly to pop, hip hop and little to metal. I want to enjoy them, warm sound, no flat sound like AH M50x, everyone was recommending them, but they sounded terrible to me. Thank you

(For a reference, i had cheap Grado SR60e and i quite liked their sound, looking for something better.)

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #160 of 169
Hello people, need an advice. I want to finally buy one of these Beyers, which one do you recommend?
Can't test them IRL, i can always send them back tho and try another one.

I listen mainly to pop, hip hop and little to metal. I want to enjoy them, warm sound, no flat sound like AH M50x, everyone was recommending them, but they sounded terrible to me. Thank you
if you want one you can live with without changing pads get the DT880 if you don't mind changing pads and like bass and a bit of extra treble get the DT990 and $10 hifiman velour pads it will make Mt Treble bearable and increase the Bass feel and sub bass. but the DT880 is closer to neutral, both and every beyer I have heard is bright so either way get pads with fabric in the middle (beyer pads don't have this fabric in the middle which is why they are bright).

Apr 7, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #161 of 169
The two fitting styles are (and according to Beyerdynamic web site always have been) only Pro and Edition. Sound is identical but Pro has more clamping force and may come with coiled cable in the 250 Ω versions. Also (to my eye) the Edition has an uglier headband. The reason people sometimes refer to "Premium" is because they used that term on the boxes (they are all "premium" according to Beyerdynamic). The 990 and 880 high impedance versions (600 Ω) are currently only sold in Edition. They do periodically issue special editions e.g. an 80 Ω all black 990.

https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc...T-770-880-990-PRO-and-the-DT-880-990-Edition-
https://support.beyerdynamic.com/hc/en-us/articles/201058881-What-is-the-DT-880-990-Premium-

Apr 7, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #162 of 169
I see. Thank you
God i would like to test both, i will order 880 try them, then return them and get 990s, can always go back to 880.
250/600 ohm ? My Magni 3 should be able to drive even 600 ohm ones.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #163 of 169
I see. Thank you
God i would like to test both, i will order 880 try them, then return them and get 990s, can always go back to 880.
250/600 ohm ? My Magni 3 should be able to drive even 600 ohm ones.
People are going to tell me I am wrong but I am right in that you should just buy the Bas X A-100 if you want to drive 600 ohm headphones and actually enjoy pounding bass from them and anyone who tells you different I will pretend to listen to and put on ignore because I am right and did a whole write up on the subject so forget them.

Apr 8, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #165 of 169
Uuuh, that thing is not cheap, is it worth it ? I already got the Magni 3.
you will be fine and it's up to you to decide if it's worth spending that much for me it was but it's basically endgame as far as power goes so enjoy it for now and consider it for later my friend. (I Know it's a pain in the ass please don't think I will continue to try to goad you it was unfathomable for me at the time and now it is my singular amp, and as far as the difference magni 3 is more detailed, Bas X is great resolution and laid back)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back