DT880 to what?
Dec 26, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #31 of 83
Thanks for the impressions! Which one is spacious or has bigger soundstage in your opinion? And which one renders vocals to your liking? I mean on which headphone do you like vocals more?

Dec 26, 2014 at 3:56 AM Post #32 of 83
Great review!  Very thorough and hit many points of interest,
especially comparisons with the DT880.

Thanks for taking the time.
beerchug.gif

Dec 26, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #33 of 83
Thanks for the impressions! Which one is spacious or has bigger soundstage in your opinion? And which one renders vocals to your liking? I mean on which headphone do you like vocals more?

I updated the review. As far as vocals I'd give the DT880's a slight nudge. I'll let you know if that changes after the burn in of the X2's.

Dec 26, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #34 of 83
I think the burn-in will definitely work this time, because of the gel that's inside the drive.

Jan 3, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #35 of 83
I have around 100 hours on my X2's now and I have to say they've really come into their own. They had a muffled sound when I first started using them but now they sound great. I still think my review is accurate imo. It's hard for me decide which headphone i like more as I love them both and will use them for different purposes. The X2 when I want more thumpy bass and the DT880 when I want a more analytical sound.

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #36 of 83
  I just got my Philips X2's and I will be doing a little comparison between them and my Beyerdynamic DT880's 600ohm. A few other headphones I've owned in the past are the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Sennheiser HD595 and Astro A40. I'm using a Asus Essence STX soundcard as my source and Matrix-m-stage amp. Keep in mind I just got the X2's and I'm still burning them in.

BUILD:
The X2 are very nice looking headphones and have that nice black sleek look while the DT880's has its classic Beyer look. The build quality is top notch and they feel like they can take more of a beating compared to the DT880's. This all depends on how you take care of the headphones. Like the DT880's I actually like that the cable only comes out from the left phone, I find that the cable gets less in the way like this. The cable on the X2's is a braided cable while the DT880's use a rubber housing. The ear cushions on both headphones are velour padded, the X2 has memory foam inside the padding while the DT880's have more of a regular type of foam.

COMFORT:
Comfort is a big deal to me as I do long music listening and gaming sessions and the X2's do not disappoint. Compared to the DT880's I found the X2's clamp down more around my head so I'll be working on widening them and you can also bend the headband to help with this. Other than that they feel on par with the DT880's comfort wise and that's saying a lot, the ear cushions are deeper on the X2's and the memory foam inside feels very comfortable. Everything from the headband design, slightly stronger clamp and ear cushions make the X2's a snug but well conformed fit around my head where the DT880's feel more loose and airy. The X2 and DT880 are two of THE most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

SOUND:
From listening to both the DT880 and X2 i finally understand what people mean when they say that some headphones "let you see the music"(DT880) while others "let you feel it"(X2). The X2 was exactly the headphone I was looking for with its fun and punchy sound with a touch of warmth. It has a great bass heavy thump that is lacking in the DT880. The highs of the X2 are smooth and the mids are neither recessed or up front, they stay very much intact considering the bass it has, it is very well rounded. The DT880 does have a more refined detailed analytical sound, distinct bass and delicious treble that it's known for and I find myself switching back and forth between the two headphones depending on what I'm doing. Both headphones do have a large and open sound stage, from my previous experience with the ATH-AD700 which is king in this area I'd say the DT880's have a slightly wider and deeper sound stage but the X2's for being a open bassy headphone are definitely no slouch.

I also tried Dolby Headphone mode in Xonar Audio Center for both headphones using the headphone output on the soundcard which uses the soundcard's internal amp. I found Dolby mode made the bass muddy and made the sound hollow. I'm sure I can play around with equalizing that in foobar to make it work.

FINAL WORDS:
Overall I'm very happy with my purchase of the X2's. They have that fun warm sound, thumpy bass and are very well rounded. The build quality is top notch and they're as comfortable as the DT880's while looking awesome. I feel the X2's complement the DT880's and I'll be switching back and forth between them a lot. I'll probably use the X2's for more gaming, movie watching and head bobbing edm listening and the DT880's for more relaxed music listening but who knows as I just started using the X2's. I wish I had the HD650 to compare with these two but I have owned the HD595 in the past and while they have that great Sennheiser warm sound signature I just don't remember them being as comfortable as the DT880 and X2. I don't see myself buying any new headphones for a while as I'm really happy with this combo.

Thanks for your impressions!

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:20 AM Post #37 of 83
I have around 100 hours on my X2's now and I have to say they've really come into their own. They had a muffled sound when I first started using them but now they sound great. I still think my review is accurate imo. It's hard for me decide which headphone i like more as I love them both and will use them for different purposes. The X2 when I want more thumpy bass and the DT880 when I want a more analytical sound.

I just got the X2 myself a couple of days ago and I agree 100% with both your description of them and the comparison to the 880's. Excellent compliment to each other!

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #38 of 83
Great thread, I've got approximately £500 to spend, I've been looking into the HiFiMAN HE-400i, Grado RS2e & Beyerdynamic T 90, as well as the usual suspects, AKG Q7/K7xx, Fidelio X2 and Sennheiser HD 650s. I'm a bit lost.

I'm going to audition the HiFiMAN, Grado & Beyers next week, hopelfully; but I can't easily get hold of the AKG's or the X2's. 

Jan 4, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #39 of 83
  Great thread, I've got approximately £500 to spend, I've been looking into the HiFiMAN HE-400i, Grado RS2e & Beyerdynamic T 90, as well as the usual suspects, AKG Q7/K7xx, Fidelio X2 and Sennheiser HD 650s. I'm a bit lost.

I'm going to audition the HiFiMAN, Grado & Beyers next week, hopelfully; but I can't easily get hold of the AKG's or the X2's. 

Nice I'm interested to know what you think about T90's sound and its comfort versus the Hifiman HE-400i.

Jan 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #40 of 83

I've read that Hifiman HE-4 is a solid upgrade over DT880s preserving a very similar sound signature. It's a quite weird model indeed, with magnets on one side (so much lighter than other planars). The only downfall is that they need a powerful amp to work properly, although not as much as HE-6. I guess something capable of 1W into 38 Ohms would be enough to drive them with ease. Here you can read about them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692229/he-400-vs-he-500-vs-he-4-comparison

Best Luck!

Jan 4, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #41 of 83

Nice I'm interested to know what you think about T90's sound and its comfort versus the Hifiman HE-400i.

There is so much for me to audition, I'm worried i might have to take up residence! What a place...

cca4d65b845313a42e536092c2410dc9.jpg

afe3d63f47f2403ebf2a04dbefc3682b.jpg

9c867f06ce57c48a3f558acb8c19c3d5.jpg

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #42 of 83

I picked up a used pair of HifiMan HE560s about a month ago for £500 delivered.  Now, if you could do that, you'd be up in another league entirely..

Jan 5, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #43 of 83
I picked up a used pair of HifiMan HE560s about a month ago for £500 delivered.  Now, if you could do that, you'd be up in another league entirely..

I'm already thinking of pushing my budget... I can't really afford to go much over £500 this month, which really sucks. I've still got my BiFrost to pay for. =/ Where did you source your 'phones for such a good price?

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #44 of 83
Lately, I've been doing a bit of research for an upgrade along the same lines, the only difference being I'm coming from the Sennheiser HD600. You are currently in upper-end Mid-Fi by today's Head-Fi standards. Your next step would be Hi-Fi or, if you have the cash which you don't, Summit-Fi. On the Hi-Fi front: I would say the HD700, HE-500 and T90 would be the next big noticeable upgrade, though I haven't heard any of them yet. I believe that based on your history with the DT880, the T90 would be your best bet. You can get a used or returned T90 for $400 if you look hard enough. I am also interested in the T90 and am looking forward to acquiring them in the coming months.

Jan 8, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #45 of 83

I'm already thinking of pushing my budget... I can't really afford to go much over £500 this month, which really sucks. I've still got my BiFrost to pay for. =/ Where did you source your 'phones for such a good price?

I got them on the for sale forums here just by chance.  I knew I was interested in these cans as a possible upgrade sometime in the next year then I saw that price and just jumped on it.  No regrets whatsoever.  Every time I listen to them, I am impressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back