DT880 to what?
Dec 15, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #16 of 83
  Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 added. Still don't know which to pick lol.. Leaning towards the Philips Fidelio X2 or AKG K712 Pro.

The 712 reportedly was released to "correct" the perceived shortcomings of the K and Q 7xx headphones.
More specifically, a tendency towards edginess in the upper midrange and treble, and a thin-ness
to the bass.  While retaining the great sense of openness, broad soundstage, and ...precision,
of those other models, particularly the early "K" models.

It did correct those issues, in the opinion of many...(me included :))

But hey, they shrunk the soundstage!  Pro's and con's about that
since many thought it was too large. 

A little less treble, a bit more roundness to the bottom end,
a smoother upper midrange...and there's the K712, more or less.

But,
OP> Based on what you've mentioned here, that "added" bass
is not going to be sufficient for your wishes.

The X1 is an excellent headphone with some comfort issues,
unfortunately.  (Check the review in Inner Fidelity, among
others.)  The bass is terrific for an open headphone.

I've not heard the X2, but that's where I'd be leaning if I
were in your shoes.

Hope this helps

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #17 of 83

The 712 reportedly was released to "correct" the perceived shortcomings of the K and Q 7xx headphones.
More specifically, a tendency towards edginess in the upper midrange and treble, and a thin-ness
to the bass.  While retaining the great sense of openness, broad soundstage, and ...precision,
of those other models, particularly the early "K" models.

It did correct those issues, in the opinion of many...(me included :))

But hey, they shrunk the soundstage!  Pro's and con's about that
since many thought it was too large. 

A little less treble, a bit more roundness to the bottom end,
a smoother upper midrange...and there's the K712, more or less.

But,
OP> Based on what you've mentioned here, that "added" bass
is not going to be sufficient for your wishes.

The X1 is an excellent headphone with some comfort issues,
unfortunately.  (Check the review in Inner Fidelity, among
others.)  The bass is terrific for an open headphone.

I've not heard the X2, but that's where I'd be leaning if I
were in your shoes.

Hope this helps

The X2 i believe fixed most of X1's issues. Still cant decide.. they all look so good. The K712 sounds great but probably not as fun as the X2.

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #18 of 83
The K\702\1\Anne aren't for you, as they are lacking bass even more than 880. They are beautiful in their own area: those are analytical and detailed cans for a reference listening, rather than basshead and just won't do this whole "fun sound" thing. 

I would head to Ultrasone options, or Beyer 990 Pro.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 83
Just want to mention that the Beyer DT880's are exceptionally good
sounding headphones, and the others listed IMO are sideways moves at best -
excepting perhaps some of the Ultrasones, the Sony Z7, and the Philips X2.

Dec 16, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #20 of 83
  Just want to mention that the Beyer DT880's are exceptionally good
sounding headphones, and the others listed IMO are sideways moves at best -
excepting perhaps some of the Ultrasones, the Sony Z7, and the Philips X2.

So the X2 has more bass than the DT880 correct? The DT880 is known for its treble so I just wanted a different sounding headphone with more bass that's just as comfy. I hear the X2 has less bass than the X1 but there's so many fixes that they did with the X2 I'm leaning towards it. Also how comfy are the X2's?

Think I have it narrowed down to these:
Philips X2
Sony Z7
Beyer 990 or 990 Pro

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #21 of 83
  So the X2 has more bass than the DT880 correct? The DT880 is known for its treble so I just wanted a different sounding headphone with more bass that's just as comfy. I hear the X2 has less bass than the X1 but there's so many fixes that they did with the X2 I'm leaning towards it. Also how comfy are the X2's?

Think I have it narrowed down to these:
Philips X2
Sony Z7
Beyer 990 or 990 Pro

Well, time to read a bunch of reviews, listen to these if you can,
and then pull the trigger.  If you have access to a merchant who
permits returns, all the better.

:)

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #22 of 83
You should get more bass and overally less bright sound with the DT990 Pro, you can see hugh bass boost of +5dB in the 100Hz area:

graphCompare.php

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM Post #23 of 83
I compared the DT880 and DT990 when I was looking for a new set of cans. I found the DT990 more bassy but less detailed, and the mids were too recessed for my taste. You have to audition them yourself - they sound different than DT880's and you may like them, but they're not better, just different. I chose the DT880 even though I listen to a lot of bass-heavy music (trap, dubstep, rap).

Dec 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #25 of 83
OP, have you tried Beyer pleather pads on your 880s? I'm asking, because they really bring out the bass.

I like to keep my headphones open/airy because its more comfortable.

Dec 18, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #26 of 83
So I ended up going with the Philips X2. I'll let you know what I think about them compared to the DT880's.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #28 of 83
  So I ended up going with the Philips X2. I'll let you know what I think about them compared to the DT880's.

Waiting for your thoughts on the X2. Can you compare the treble and midrange of both headphones. Thanks!

I'll also be watching this thread for a comparison of the two;
the DT880 is one of my favorite headphones and has been
for a long time.

Dec 24, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #29 of 83

Waiting for your thoughts on the X2. Can you compare the treble and midrange of both headphones. Thanks!

I'll also be watching this thread for a comparison of the two;
the DT880 is one of my favorite headphones and has been
for a long time.

+1

Dec 25, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #30 of 83
I just got my Philips X2's and I will be doing a little comparison between them and my Beyerdynamic DT880's 600ohm. A few other headphones I've owned in the past are the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, Sennheiser HD595 and Astro A40. I'm using a Asus Essence STX soundcard as my source and Matrix-m-stage amp. Keep in mind I just got the X2's and I'm still burning them in.

BUILD:
The X2 are very nice looking headphones and have that nice black sleek look while the DT880's has its classic Beyer look. The build quality is top notch and they feel like they can take more of a beating compared to the DT880's. This all depends on how you take care of the headphones. Like the DT880's I actually like that the cable only comes out from the left phone, I find that the cable gets less in the way like this. The cable on the X2's is a braided cable while the DT880's use a rubber housing. The ear cushions on both headphones are velour padded, the X2 has memory foam inside the padding while the DT880's have more of a regular type of foam.

COMFORT:
Comfort is a big deal to me as I do long music listening and gaming sessions and the X2's do not disappoint. Compared to the DT880's I found the X2's clamp down more around my head so I'll be working on widening them and you can also bend the headband to help with this. Other than that they feel on par with the DT880's comfort wise and that's saying a lot, the ear cushions are deeper on the X2's and the memory foam inside feels very comfortable. Everything from the headband design, slightly stronger clamp and ear cushions make the X2's a snug but well conformed fit around my head where the DT880's feel more loose and airy. The X2 and DT880 are two of THE most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.

SOUND:
From listening to both the DT880 and X2 i finally understand what people mean when they say that some headphones "let you see the music"(DT880) while others "let you feel it"(X2). The X2 was exactly the headphone I was looking for with its fun and punchy sound with a touch of warmth. It has a great bass heavy thump that is lacking in the DT880. The highs of the X2 are smooth and the mids are neither recessed or up front, they stay very much intact considering the bass it has, it is very well rounded. The DT880 does have a more refined detailed analytical sound, distinct bass and delicious treble that it's known for and I find myself switching back and forth between the two headphones depending on what I'm doing. Both headphones do have a large and open sound stage, from my previous experience with the ATH-AD700 which is king in this area I'd say the DT880's have a slightly wider and deeper sound stage but the X2's for being a open bassy headphone are definitely no slouch.

I also tried Dolby Headphone mode in Xonar Audio Center for both headphones using the headphone output on the soundcard which uses the soundcard's internal amp. I found Dolby mode made the bass muddy and made the sound hollow. I'm sure I can play around with equalizing that in foobar to make it work.

FINAL WORDS:
Overall I'm very happy with my purchase of the X2's. They have that fun warm sound, thumpy bass and are very well rounded. The build quality is top notch and they're as comfortable as the DT880's while looking awesome. I feel the X2's complement the DT880's and I'll be switching back and forth between them a lot. I'll probably use the X2's for more gaming, movie watching and head bobbing edm listening and the DT880's for more relaxed music listening but who knows as I just started using the X2's. I wish I had the HD650 to compare with these two but I have owned the HD595 in the past and while they have that great Sennheiser warm sound signature I just don't remember them being as comfortable as the DT880 and X2. I don't see myself buying any new headphones for a while as I'm really happy with this combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back