DT880 Amp Choice
Dec 6, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #31 of 49
Quote:
Here's what I found:
When I used the 650's with the stock Crack (no Speedball), I found them to be a little too laid back.  I preferred the HD650's with the EF5.  The DT880's because they're brighter and more detailed to start with sounded very nice with the stock Crack - smoothed things out a bit.  Which I preferred would be a matter of mood and source material.

Thats interesting. I've never heard a crack but was always interested due to all the positive reviews. I would of expected a big difference over the EF-5, especially with the 600 Ohm phones. I'm guessing they don't distort when you raise the volume?

I also prefer a darker amp with bright headphones, synergy is very important.

Dec 6, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #32 of 49
Quote:

Thats interesting. I've never heard a crack but was always interested due to all the positive reviews. I would of expected a big difference over the EF-5, especially with the 600 Ohm phones. I'm guessing they don't distort when you raise the volume?

I also prefer a darker amp with bright headphones, synergy is very important.

The EF5 has impressed me - really nice hybrid amp.  Not that price is a great indicator, but it does MSRP for $499, so it's not positioned as a really cheap amp.  But yeah, with a SS output vs OTL for the Crack, I would have also expected Crack show a more significant difference.  But the bottom line is both are really good - the Crack does not disappoint at all, and both are significantly better than the HP out of my NFB-12 DAC/AMP.  I only have one more HP amp that I could try, but it's a old battery powered amp that actually adds more impedance (optimized for my ER-4P's to make them more like ER-4S's), so I didn't even enter that guy into any listening tests.  

It would be interesting to try a SS amp (Fiio E9, Asgard, etc) and see whether I could tell the difference between the Crack and those amps.  But I don't have access to any of those.

I normally listen to the EF5 at 10 o'clock or so - 11 o'clock is too loud for me.  At these volumes, no distortion at all.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #33 of 49
Captouch - thanks for the info.  Are you using the EF5 with the NFB-12's DAC, and if so, are you using the variable or fixed output (sorry for butting in Graphicism - I also have the NFB-12, and am looking for ideas on adding a tube amp).

I was originally thinking of adding a Valhalla via the NFB-12, as it suited my budget a little more.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:24 PM Post #34 of 49

Quote:
Captouch - thanks for the info.  Are you using the EF5 with the NFB-12's DAC, and if so, are you using the variable or fixed output (sorry for butting in Graphicism - I also have the NFB-12, and am looking for ideas on adding a tube amp).

I was originally thinking of adding a Valhalla via the NFB-12, as it suited my budget a little more.

It depends.  I've been buying and listening to more SACD's recently, so I have to use the RCA outs from my SACD player instead of going to the NFB-12.

When I do use the NFB-12, I normally use the fixed output unless I want to volume match to do DAC or HP comparisons, in which case I'll use variable.  AFAIK, the fixed output is equivalent to variable with volume knob at 12 o'clock, so using variable at values greater than 12 o'clock would give you the option to get higher output into your amp.  

There was some conversation on the NFB-12 thread, I believe, where someone said that the distortion didn't scale with volume, which made me wonder whether you'd get the least distortion going variable near max volume, but I don't know if that's the case or not.

I got my EF5 (new version) off eBay for $250 shipped, so it doesn't have to be more expensive than the Valhalla.  I'm pretty sure you could find one for the $349 that the Valhalla sells for (not that I have anything against the Valhalla - I haven't heard it).  I like the Crack as well, which is also about the same price if you didn't mind DIY.  Basically, if you want more flexibility in impedance, EF5 should be better, but if you're only looking for an amp to drive higher impedance cans, Crack would be a nice choice.

Dec 6, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #35 of 49
Many thanks.  Really appreciate the help!

Dec 7, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #36 of 49

Quote:
Quote:

The EF5 has impressed me - really nice hybrid amp.  Not that price is a great indicator, but it does MSRP for $499, so it's not positioned as a really cheap amp.  But yeah, with a SS output vs OTL for the Crack, I would have also expected Crack show a more significant difference.  But the bottom line is both are really good - the Crack does not disappoint at all, and both are significantly better than the HP out of my NFB-12 DAC/AMP.  I only have one more HP amp that I could try, but it's a old battery powered amp that actually adds more impedance (optimized for my ER-4P's to make them more like ER-4S's), so I didn't even enter that guy into any listening tests.  

It would be interesting to try a SS amp (Fiio E9, Asgard, etc) and see whether I could tell the difference between the Crack and those amps.  But I don't have access to any of those.

I normally listen to the EF5 at 10 o'clock or so - 11 o'clock is too loud for me.  At these volumes, no distortion at all.

Graphicism, I listened more tonight and at higher volumes using the same DAC.  I didn't try to equalize volume though.

But from an overall sound signature standpoint, I would say the EF5 is more detailed and clinical sounding, while the Crack warms and smooths things up more.  I thought the bass was more defined/distinct on the EF5, but carried more weight on the Crack.

The first pairing I had (when I first started into headphone and headphone amps) was the DT880 and EF5, so that was my initial frame of reference.  Once I got my HD650's and Crack and had 2 cans and two amps, my overall impression was (and still is) that the Crack makes the DT880's sound more like the HD650 (less clinical, detailed but less detailed, more weighty but less distinct bass).

So the two amps are not really the same or indistinguishable - but both do still sound good to me.  If I had to pick only one, I'd take the Crack because it'd be less fatiguing with either for long listening sessions.  Of course if I had low impedance cans, it wouldn't be a good match.

Ultimately, I'm finding that what I have now is good enough for me.  I am curious about what the LCD2, HD800, T1 and Zana Deux, Peak/Volcano, and B22 sound like. . .but I don't spend enough time critically listening or feel that what I have is lacking to the point of really wanting any of those - at least not for the price.  I've always been a bang-for-the-buck guy, and am pretty happy that what I have now gives me enough options to be happy for quite a while.

Dec 20, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #37 of 49
Just picked up a pair of 600 ohm DT880s a few days ago.
Very smooth, very neutral, very balanced.
They sound real nice thru a La Figaro 336C head amp.
This is an OTL vacuum tube amp.
I'm using a Svetlana 6AS7 and a Tungsol re-issue 6SN7.

Jan 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #38 of 49
'hoping thread is not totally dead'...

irishsammy, how do you find the maverick a1 compares to your WA6 with your 880s?  I'm in the market for a new amp and am considering the a1 among others

Feb 17, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #39 of 49
for those of you with DT880 (250ohm) and amps....you don't need the amp for volume right?  what am i missing if my laptop/ipad2 and DT880 sound plenty loud enough?  PSP and phone could maybe use a hair more volume...

I'm already having an eargasm with the headphones (burn in time so far like 3 hours).....  what can i possibly be missing out on?   thanks!

btw, I was planning on getting a fiio e17 portable amp/dac...but since my laptop/ipad2 give me plenty of volume I might go down to the e11 portable amp

thanks!

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 49
I have the 600 ohm version but I had a few days between when they arrived and when my Xonar Essence ST came. Volume for me got loud enough but the bass sounded extremely muffled. Aside from that they sounded pretty good (coming from marginal headphones) but bass obviously wasn't working as intended. I am not sure how much the same would apply to the 250 ohms.

Feb 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM Post #41 of 49
ok, I have heard the difference.

can someone comment on how these are for DT880?  and if the fiio E11 or E17 will be at least as good as this?  (hopefully)

This is the amp I listened through today at a hifi shop.  Pro-Ject Headbox II for $155..  really livened up the sony v6's and grado sr60 and 225i.  they didn't have a good selection of phones, but the amplification was my first experience.....I felt like the voices were ALIVE in my head.  pitter patter raindrops turned into a shower of thousands of needles...in a good way.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-S7w1YRerUoX/p_252HEDBX2B/Pro-Ject-Head-Box-II-Black.html#details-tab

Specifications

Headphone Jack: 3-pole, 1/4"

Gain: 11dB

Power Output: 330mV / 30-ohms, 60mV / 300-ohms

Input Impedance: 47 kOhms

Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 94 ref. full output (112dB-A weighted), 3W power consumption max.

Frequency Response: 30Hz-20kHz (+/-0.05dB), 10Hz-120kHz (-1dB)

THD: 0.005%

Power Consumption: 16V / 120mA AC

Here are specs for E17

Specification

● Output Power: >250mW (16Ω Loaded ); >30mW (300Ω Loaded)
● Headphone Impedance Range: 16 Ω ~ 300 Ω
● SNR:≥109dB(A weight)[AMP];≥104dB(A weight)[DAC]
● Distortion:<0.001%(10mW)(AMP);<0.007%(10mW)(DAC)
● Support sampling rate(Max):96K/24bit [USB] ; 192K/24bit [SPDIF]
● Frequency response:10Hz~100KHz[AMP]; 10Hz~20KHz[DAC]
● Battery capacity, charging time and using time:1500Mah/3.5H/15H[AUX]; 1500Mah/3.5H/15H[SPDIF]
● Size: 96mm x 55mm x 15.2mm
● Weight: 112g

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #42 of 49
For 600-ohm DT880's, 60mW is insufficient. It really depends on the track--some albums (Led Zep II & III especially) I just like to turn it up.

I borrowed a Head Box II for about 6 months total and AKG K702s for a month. Neither were really to my liking; the K702s were uncomfortable, the Head Box II (while certainly better than my computer output) was insufficient with my new 600ohm DT880s. I'm sure you've already guessed, but tube amps are generally recommended for these Beyers. For $175, the Little Dot MK II has been very well-received. If my choice was between the Head Box II & taking a risk with the MK II, I'd definitely go for the MK II.

Feb 17, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #43 of 49

Quote:
For 600-ohm DT880's, 60mW is insufficient. It really depends on the track--some albums (Led Zep II & III especially) I just like to turn it up.

I borrowed a Head Box II for about 6 months total and AKG K702s for a month. Neither were really to my liking; the K702s were uncomfortable, the Head Box II (while certainly better than my computer output) was insufficient with my new 600ohm DT880s. I'm sure you've already guessed, but tube amps are generally recommended for these Beyers. For $175, the Little Dot MK II has been very well-received. If my choice was between the Head Box II & taking a risk with the MK II, I'd definitely go for the MK II.

thank you.  I have the 250ohm pair.  hopefully the E17 will drive them... otherwise, I'll look into the little dot mk II :)  thanks for the suggestion

Feb 18, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #44 of 49
thank you.  I have the 250ohm pair.  hopefully the E17 will drive them... otherwise, I'll look into the little dot mk II :)  thanks for the suggestion

The 250ohm version is equally inefficient but the impedance obviously changes things a bit. The MK II promises 200mW into 120 ohms and 300mW into 300 ohms so you should be fine with power delivery.

Feb 18, 2012 at 11:40 AM Post #45 of 49
Fer wot it's worth:

I have a pair of DT880/600 ohm, a very neutral, slightly warm sounding 'phone with nicely defined bass.
beyersmile.png

I use a Matrix M Stage, works great if you are looking for maximum bass tightness, punch, impact, definition, etc.
I use it if I'm listening to Aerosmith, etc.
The nice thing about the Matrix is that it has enough voltage and current and has a low enough output impedance to drive just about any over ear 'phone, with the exception of crazy ineffiecient 'phones.

I also use a La Figaro 336C (basically same amp as Dark Voice 336i and 336SE),
works great if you want a bit of tube magic, ambience, lushness and all round voluptuous sound.
Great for female vocals, acoustic jazz.
Sylvania 6SN7 and RCA 6AS7 work quite nicely with DT880s.

Apparently the Dots are not in the same class as the 336 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back