Drop + JVC HA-FDX1 Dual Carbon IEM...available in the US!
Sep 5, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #136 of 1,383
I just received my loaner sample for review, thanks go out to @CEE TEE for including me on the preview list. I’ve been a big fan of JVC woodies going all the way back to the FX500, JVC’s first woodie.

The FDX1 is a different sounding beast compared to the JVC HA-FW01, so after a full burn-in of 100 hours, I’ll report back my observations with a link to my review.

@james444 is right about the speed/clarity being exceptional.

I did find the final E series tips worked better for me in terms of seal, and they helped a bit with taming the bright nature of the standard nozzle.

Sep 5, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #137 of 1,383
I've been looking for an end game single DD IEM and this looks very interesting.
I love the tonality and resolution of DD, especially a DD bass.
For those that have heard the FDX1 or modded their FD01, how is the bass (quantity and quality)? I'm a bit of a basshead, so would prefer if there is some oomph/air movement for the bass.
Thanks in advance for any input!!

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 1:39 AM Post #138 of 1,383
That’s my concern as well. I love good bass, but sometimes I feel like I could with a bit less than my current crop of bassy IEMs. Crin’s graph puts the bass right on par with the Moondrop Kxxs. I wonder if the slightly lower mid-to-treble response mitigates that lower bass somewhat, so that everything sounds full-ish.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #141 of 1,383
The modded FD01 is quite neutral. I would not recommend it for a basshead.

The FDX1 are a tad fuller sounding than my modded FD01. With the blue filters, they're definitely on the bassy side of neutral.

But it's still well-controlled and not overbearing bass. Those who want bone-rattling bass should indeed look elsewhere.

Sep 6, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #145 of 1,383
Sep 6, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #146 of 1,383
This is a long shot, but if If appreciate if anyone who has heard both the Toneking NineTail (my current favorite DD) and the FDX1 can weigh in.

My other DDs that I like are the Pioneer CH9T and the iBasso IT01.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #147 of 1,383
A few photos of the fabulous JVC HA-FDX1 on the grey blog.

LZt875um.jpg

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:43 PM Post #148 of 1,383
I am at a bit of a conundrum. So I was planning on getting a pair of the FDX1 but I have a real good idea of their abilities. I don't doubt the sound qualities or the build of the earphones but I have an earphone I feel that will be very close to the niche that the FDX1 will fill for many. My IT01s. The FDX1 will be a bit more neutral in presentation vs the IT01S but I have a feeling resolution and clarity will be very similar with the IT01S beating it out on stage. So while I am very tempted to throw up the $250 to get one. I don't necessarily feel the FDX1 will be an honest to goodness upgrade on my IT01s. I read just about every single take on them with the history n all

But none of these guys have owned the IT01S so there for. I might have to skip on this one. I am leaning more toward spending that money for the new Shanling M6 instead.

But then again once I see that 400 pair of them have sold. I might just get one. Lol.

Sep 6, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #149 of 1,383
I am at a bit of a conundrum. So I was planning on getting a pair of the FDX1 but I have a real good idea of their abilities. I don't doubt the sound qualities or the build of the earphones but I have an earphone I feel that will be very close to the niche that the FDX1 will fill for many. My IT01s. The FDX1 will be a bit more neutral in presentation vs the IT01S but I have a feeling resolution and clarity will be very similar with the IT01S beating it out on stage. So while I am very tempted to throw up the $250 to get one. I don't necessarily feel the FDX1 will be an honest to goodness upgrade on my IT01s. I read just about every single take on them with the history n all

But none of these guys have owned the IT01S so there for. I might have to skip on this one. I am leaning more toward spending that money for the new Shanling M6 instead.

But then again once I see that 400 pair of them have sold. I might just get one. Lol.
The IT01s appear to have a boosted upper end, the JVCs appear pretty tame up there with the green filters to my ears (and presumably even tamer with the blue filters). I speculate, these two models are quite different sounding.

Sep 6, 2019 at 5:07 PM Post #150 of 1,383

Get the FDX1 and try them out, Worst case you sell them and I'm sure they'll go quick.

After the Drop ends price for them goes to $280. You never know until you hear em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back