Dr Dre Beats Solo HD Headphones - Do I buy!?
Aug 28, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #46 of 75

Quote:
He writes that he can barely tell the difference between Skullcandy Aviators and Audeze LCD-2 out of a $600 amp. I think that pretty much speaks for itself. Even if he goes on to make distinctions, just putting that in written form is insane.

Hum ok, you thought he was paid by Skull Candy , to write such review ? Also with a "quick listen" I  guess everything sounds the same, depending of how "quick" you listen.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #50 of 75
A lot of crap posts here of late. Extrabigmehdi you should maybe read the review again to see if you can interpret it better? 

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #51 of 75

Quote:
Well if there is a better choice, at a similar price - tell me.

I really like good quality sound - and want to know why people are beats bashing...... - if there are bad things about them, tell me before I splash out!

I had the same Beats by Dre Solo HDs that you're looking into at the start of August. I gave them a 14 day demo (sort of speak) with over 80 hours of experience. Long story short, I ended up returning these to BB. These headphones have a pathetic soundstage, cut a lot of frequencies out of music, and sounded as if I was listening my music through a bad filter. About 33% of the time, I preferred my six year old Creative Fatal1ty phones over the Beats with certain Hip Hop/Rap/Electro songs. Even with the intense head shaking bass, a lot of dubstep songs didn't sound that great due to the frequencies being ignored in the high range. A few bass heavy hip hop and electro songs sounded like complete crap with the Solo HDs. I also found out that with bass booster activated in iTunes, the Creatives had a similar muddy, head wrenching bass as the Solos, but had better soundstage and clarity than the Beats. To make it sad, the Creatives were $50 at the time... nowadays you can probably find them around $20. 

Before I bought another pair of headphones, I demoed the HD25-1 ii, M50, and DT 770 Pro. The soundstage was massive with the HD25s compared to the Beats. For those of you who know about these Senns, that's saying a lot. The mids and highs were outstanding as well. But I couldn't really spot the bass unfortunately. I blame my ears being used to the Beats. When I played songs like Bass I Love You by Basstronics, Spaceship Remix by Benny Benassi, Litermeter by Flying Lotus, and Grove St. Party by Waka Flocka Flame, I just couldn't hear the bass much with the HD25s... granted that none of the demoed headphones were no where near burned in yet. 

The M50s sounded very similar to the HD25s. However, it had a much wider soundstage and more bass present than the Senns. Overall, I would say that the HD25-1 ii would be a nicer choice than the M50s. I tested the same songs on these and noticed the same "bass issues." I guess I'm a bass head lol. I didn't really spot the mids being recessed a lot, but again, probably because my ears being so used to the Beats sound signature. A main concern with the M50s was that the jack would not fit on my iPhone with the clear Belkin case. That would be a problem if I ever want to take them on the go. 

The last pair I heard was the DT 770 Pro 80. Although I was originally looking for a portable headphone to replace the Solos, these blew my mind. The soundstage is probably one of the largest for a closed can. These had everything that I was looking for. The bass was phenomenal... this is what bass should sound like. For bass heavy songs, the bass really shows. I can agree that the mids are recessed a bit, but the overall clarity, imo, is awesome, especially when your comparing these to the Beats. All the frequencies are there and can be used with any music genre. I ended up taking these home and I currently use the Creatives as my portables. 

I hope that helped a little in your search. There are so many options for the same price that are better than the Beats. I know a lot of people don't have much first hand experience with the Solo HDs, but these accounts are all first hand experience. I also demoed the Skullcandy Aviators at BB when I returned the Beats. They were alright compared to the other three that I demoed, but better than the Beats when you take into account clarity and soundstage. But I don't think I'll pitch out $130 or w/e they cost for them. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:11 AM Post #53 of 75

Quote:
He writes that he can barely tell the difference between Skullcandy Aviators and Audeze LCD-2 out of a $600 amp. I think that pretty much speaks for itself. Even if he goes on to make distinctions, just putting that in written form is insane. I hope he bought something nice with that check.

His exact words were, noting that he was at a noisy trade show with only a transportable (semi-portable) rig:

Quote:
I break out my gear, put it on the table, and fire up my reference tracks. I put on my LCD-2s and have a quick listen --- the DJ is still pretty loud, but I can hear how good they sound. I pull the plug and switch to the Aviators. Oh! My! Goodness! They sound great. I really couldn't tell the difference from my reference cans on the first quick listen. **** DJ.
Track after track, I switch back and forth. I'm listening hard now, and the differences start to appear --- the Aviators fell short in resolution, tight dynamics, and bass slam, but not far short. The tonal balance seemed excellent, and they were quick and articulate without harshness. Had a fair share of dynamic punch, too. Man, what's not to like. Seriously, that DJ must be louder than I think, or these headphones are surprisingly good. Surprisingly good!

I did have a listen to them myself in the local Apple Store. I didn't find them very resolving, but at least the tonal balance was about right and even jazz (which sounds awful on Beats and the like) was very listenable on the Aviators.

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:54 AM Post #54 of 75

Quote:
He writes that he can barely tell the difference between Skullcandy Aviators and Audeze LCD-2 out of a $600 amp. I think that pretty much speaks for itself. Even if he goes on to make distinctions, just putting that in written form is insane. I hope he bought something nice with that check.

Why? Because I should be a blow hard reviewer that's got some sort of magic pixie dust that gives me super human hearing? Dude, the DJ was LOUD ... and the Aviators are good. Good enough in that environment that I had to listen carefully. 

Quote:
The Aviators are pretty awesome?  What?  This is head-fi not ******* Best Buy

Tsk ... tsk ... tsk. Lots of people not wearing their thinking caps today. The Aviators are good ... it's that simple. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #55 of 75
Because it's obviously a quote written to be used by the manufacturer in company literature, whether it was your intent or not:

"Oh! My! Goodness! The Skullycandy Aviators sound great. I really couldn't tell the difference from my Audeze LCD-2 on the first quick listen."
--Tyll Hertsens, http://innerfidelity.com/

I can see it now....

Quote:
Why? Because I should be a blow hard reviewer that's got some sort of magic pixie dust that gives me super human hearing? Dude, the DJ was LOUD ... and the Aviators are good. Good enough in that environment that I had to listen carefully. 

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #56 of 75
^

Are you serious... come on. What skull-candy customer is going to have ever heard of the LCD-2 much less care about the comparison?

Maybe you were joking?

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #58 of 75

Quote:
Because it's obviously a quote written to be used by the manufacturer in company literature, whether it was your intent or not:

If it was not my intent, then it was not obviously a quote writent to be used as such. 

And, lemme know if you see Skullcandy use the quote.  I'd be quite surprised. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back