Dr Dre Beats Solo HD Headphones - Do I buy!?
Aug 27, 2011 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 75

renegadeandy

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

I am a partial audiophile and arrive here to get your opinions of something I want - http://store.universal-music.co.uk/restofworld/beats-by-dre-solo-hd-black-high-definition-on-ear-headphones-with-controltalk/invt/78022702/

I like the look + comfort of these headphones, I can buy them for £149.99 in John Lewis UK - 2 year guarantee,

Do you guys think these headphones are worth the cash, if they are, why, if they arent why.

Help me to understand the product,

Cheers,

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 75
You mentioned you like the comfort of them.  Personally I say that if you've tried them on for a bit and really liked them, then get them.  There's some other alternatives like Ultrasone 580, but you won't be getting the Beats styling.  Would you be using them as portables?

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 75

Quote:
I love hip hop, old school, all dre stuff, all dangerdoom stuff - mostly mid / bass. However I have a wide interest + need something which can handle the highs too.

Heya,

If you want them, get them. It's that simple.

Search "Beats" and start reading. We have a zillion threads on the subject.

Oh, and get ready for the onslaught of...

Very best,

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #6 of 75
For the onslaught of what!!?!?!?

Yes, I will be taking them to Portugal on holiday in the next few days - and will be taking them to + from work each day - so the case is a must, and durable too...?

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 75
Onslaught of Beats bashing from the head-fi community.  Beats are looked down upon in the audiophile world, but really there's nothing wrong with Beats if that's what you like-- your ears are the final judgement afterall. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #9 of 75
Well if there is a better choice, at a similar price - tell me.

I really like good quality sound - and want to know why people are beats bashing...... - if there are bad things about them, tell me before I splash out!

Aug 27, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 75

Quote:
Well if there is a better choice, at a similar price - tell me.

I really like good quality sound - and want to know why people are beats bashing...... - if there are bad things about them, tell me before I splash out!

The Beats are popular because of its marketing, not sound quality.

They are also overpriced fashion items and not really meant for audiophiles.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #13 of 75
Maybe try the low end Pioneer HDJ's. Bassy sound signature with a treble spike, so it's somewhat "clear". Mids are a bit recessed, but not much to complain about if you stick it on a good eq. Do let them burn in though. Plus they're cheaper, maybe 80-100 quid. They look quite nice too, though the only flaw would be they don't fold at all. But then you can use your savings and get a bag.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 75
Hmm well to be honest the fold away is almost an essential feature - because I plan to travel with them quite a lot. As I said, i want to buy a set tomorrow and only have access to http://www.johnlewis.com/ and http://hmv.com/hmvweb/home.do in the actual stores..... so any of your supported choice in those stores? I agree Beats have been marketed well - however I am willing to overlook them if there is an equally solid set at same / cheaper price + it can be folded away - the purchase includes a bag etc. The dre ones seem to include all of what I have said thats why i looked at them.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 75
Ultrasone HFI-780 folds up, comes with a bag, and is about 160 on Amazon.co.uk 

Ultrasones are bass-kings. I think you should look into getting these. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back