Dr Dre Beats Solo HD Headphones - Do I buy!?
Aug 27, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #16 of 75
I think from the theft standpoint alone, since people do buy them because they like the looks, I'd avoid them. If you listen to them, like them, go for it. But as recommended higher up, if you want bass, I've been told Ultrasone HFi-580 rock the house and still have good quality highs and mids.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #17 of 75
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=280;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=231108

The Sennheiser PX100 are the nicest headphones I found in the PureHMV shop that are small, lightweight, and folding. They have a much cleaner sound than the Beats (anything), but won't have as much bass impact. I'd say that's a feature, compared to the Beats.

And as far as the John Lewis store:

http://www.johnlewis.com/231273357/Product.aspx

The Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, while expensive, are arguably the best portable headphones on the market, especially considering how small they are. They're more expensive than the Beats but outclass them by a gigantic margin. They're also more comfortable and better-built. They will last a lot longer.

Sorry I couldn't find anything really worthwhile in the gap between 35 quid and 250 quid -- I looked.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #18 of 75
AH-D1100, if they're available at that store. Cheaper, and much higher fidelity. Same general sound signature. Bassy as hell, and with some EQing you can make them phenomenal. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #19 of 75
You could consider the sennheiser hd25. Good reputation, and for the bass too.
They are small & robust, so even if you can't fold them,   they are easily portable.
http://www.johnlewis.com/231273357/Product.aspx
Oh , they cost more here, because it's the adidas version (couldn't find the regular version on your store).
Personnally I  wouldn't bother with these store, unless you have a great coupon.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #20 of 75
Soundstige - the seinnheisers are really cheap! Only £35 - how can they compete against the beats?

As for the HD25s, thats out of my price range - the beats are at the very top i think of what I want to spend.

The AH-D1100 dont look that good physically - and dont look portable either.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:51 PM Post #21 of 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeandy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

As for the HD25s, thats out of my price range - the beats are at the very top i think of what I want to spend.

It's the adidas version, it's significantly more expensive than the regular version. They are blue instead of black, and you pay a premium price for that.
Seriously, you should look at an other store.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #22 of 75
Tell you what,

Get the Beats, they're the best option you got. And you seem to like them very much. 

If you like them, that's all that matters. Go for it. 

Quote:
Soundstige - the seinnheisers are really cheap! Only £35 - how can they compete against the beats?

The AH-D1100 dont look that good physically - and dont look portable either.

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #23 of 75
I wouldn't worry about the Pioneers not folding, you can still throw them into a bag and then throw that bag into a bag pretty quickly and trust they'll survive. The headband's magnesium core, despite how frail it might feel. It will snap if you decide to superheat/freeze it but...Who would do that to their headphones? The arms aren't exactly cheap plastic either unless they're HDJ1000's, the only part of concern is probably the sliders. Keep them closed, and they're fine. Cord is replaceable too. I'll bring up a picture quickly...

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:05 PM Post #25 of 75
They don't accentuate the bass response to a crazy degree like most Beats do. Their frequency response is more even-toned. They're also made by a company that focuses on sound quality for the price, not advertising and marketing and cosmetics. Even so, they're probably not as good as the Beats Solo HD at *something*, I just don't know what. But at only 35gbp, I think you'd be happy with them and the money you saved. They also come in white for 5gbp more, to look more "hip". 

Quote:

Aug 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #26 of 75
Aug 27, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #27 of 75
Hmm, you do have a point about those px-100 - I am kinda tempted due to the amount I would save - but they dont look as cool, but I am concerned I might feel like ive wasted a lot of money on the beats - they dont appear the best set I could get for the price. There are demo units in john lewis - and I am sure I could get a demo unit of the sennheisers in HMV if i speak nicely :wink: I really dont know what to do - is there perhaps an option around £100 which sits in the middle of everything in either of the 2 stores.?

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #29 of 75
I think you would love the D1100's. They are actually very portable, very comfortable/lightweight, and have more powerful bass than the Solos. The sound is also on another level compared to the Solos. I really don't think you should rule them out completely. 

If you don't like their styling, then the HD-25's would be my next recommendation. 

Aug 27, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #30 of 75

Quote:
I think you would love the D1100's. They are actually very portable, very comfortable/lightweight, and have more powerful bass than the Solos. The sound is also on another level compared to the Solos. I really don't think you should rule them out completely. 

If you don't like their styling, then the HD-25's would be my next recommendation. 

Don't forget the Aiaiai TMA-1s as well. There are plenty of headphones that are better than Beats at the same or similar price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back