Does the Sennheiser HD 448 has good bass?
Jun 23, 2012 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
I listen to rap/hiphop and a lot of commentaries on Youtube, so vocals and bass are very important to me, does this can has enough bass for my taste? I'm no basshead, but I like atleast somewhat decent bass...

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 20
Quote:
I listen to rap/hiphop and a lot of commentaries on Youtube, so vocals and bass are very important to me, does this can has enough bass for my taste? I'm no basshead, but I like atleast somewhat decent bass...

Good bass as in accurate, tight and detailed? yes thats the HD 449. earshaking, bloated and overbearing bass? Nope. For  vocals the sennheiser HD 449 would be good. but for the genres you listed and and yor statement about bass the sennheiser HD 449 will not be for you.
if you are not a basshead Try the Sennheiser HD 439 or 429.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-439-headphones/reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614516/sennheiser-hd439-review

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 20
I'd look elsewhere, the build quality of the 448's is poor, they feel cheap. Try the Superlux Hd681 instead. 

Jun 24, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Good bass as in accurate, tight and detailed? yes thats the HD 449. earshaking, bloated and overbearing bass? Nope. For  vocals the sennheiser HD 449 would be good. but for the genres you listed and and yor statement about bass the sennheiser HD 449 will not be for you.
if you are not a basshead Try the Sennheiser HD 439 or 429.
http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd-439-headphones/reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/t/614516/sennheiser-hd439-review

How is the sennheiser hd 429 for vocals? Is it just as good as the 449 or slightly worse?

Jun 24, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #5 of 20
I own the HD448 with the bass mod (you can find it in this forum) and it has enough punchyness for modern style music aka Hiphop, Electro etc.

For the best audio experience i recommend you to buy an amp to unleash the full potential.

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 20
419 429 will be much more pleasant for that genres (bass quantity exist & impactful), laid back presentation. compared to 439 449 because the latter they focused on upfront vocal for audiophile, pop. 

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #9 of 20
Quote:
But the vocals are also good on the 429 right?

Let me try :
Mostly mids in Sennheisers tend to be good, thick bodied. Classic Sennheiser had laid-back presentation including vocal, while some types had upfront presentation.
Go for higher models if your genres only focused on female - male voice, slow jazz, jazz, audiophile, pop. They have good tight quantity bass (thin for hiphop R&B taste), but great clarity , mids, trebles.
But for mainstream including hiphop R&B with the need of bass quantity go for lower type like 419 with more punchy quantity bass impact (boomy)
429 has a bit controlled bass & a bit polite sounding but the earpad is pleather.

BOOMY quantity  bass              < ---------------------------------->  tight QUALITY bass 
Hip hop R&B and majority genres                                         hi-fi clarity, great mids, nice trebles details
Laid back sounding                                                                                                     Upfront sounding                                
419                                      429                                            439                                             449
velour                                 pleather                                      velour                                      pleather

I have no complaint about HD419 sound for fun all-arounder bassy headphone.

http://headphonesfordummies.blogspot.com/2012/02/sennheiser-hd419-review.html

HD419 

PROS

1. Punchy bass that should satisfy most bassheads
  2. Great soundstage
  3. REALLY LOUD! For those of you who enjoy abusing headphone drivers these things can go to speaker-like levels fairly easily.
  4. Sleek and streetwise looks
  5. Durable headband (See picture in review)
  6. Toned for more "mainstream" genres (pop, hiphop)

CONS 

1. Not analytical at all, if your goal is precision audio reproduction, look elsewhere
  2. Drivers are slow and lack separation for quicker songs
  3. Thin cable

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #10 of 20
Quote:

Let me try :
Mostly mids in Sennheisers tend to be good, thick bodied. Classic Sennheiser had laid-back presentation including vocal, while some types had upfront presentation.
Go for higher models if your genres only focused on female - male voice, slow jazz, jazz, audiophile, pop. They have good tight quantity bass (thin for hiphop R&B taste), but great clarity , mids, trebles.
But for mainstream including hiphop R&B with the need of bass quantity go for lower type like 419 with more punchy quantity bass impact (boomy)
429 has a bit controlled bass & a bit polite sounding but the earpad is pleather.

BOOMY quantity  bass              < ---------------------------------->  tight QUALITY bass 
Hip hop R&B and majority genres                                         hi-fi clarity, great mids, nice trebles details
Laid back sounding                                                                                                     Upfront sounding                                
419                                      429                                            439                                             449
velour                                 pleather                                      velour                                      pleather

I have no complaint about HD419 sound for fun all-arounder bassy headphone.

http://headphonesfordummies.blogspot.com/2012/02/sennheiser-hd419-review.html

HD419 

PROS

1. Punchy bass that should satisfy most bassheads
  2. Great soundstage
  3. REALLY LOUD! For those of you who enjoy abusing headphone drivers these things can go to speaker-like levels fairly easily.
  4. Sleek and streetwise looks
  5. Durable headband (See picture in review)
  6. Toned for more "mainstream" genres (pop, hiphop)

CONS 

1. Not analytical at all, if your goal is precision audio reproduction, look elsewhere
  2. Drivers are slow and lack separation for quicker songs
  3. Thin cable

I can't choose the 419, I can only choose between the 429 and the 448, and what I want is good bass and very good vocals.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:
I can't choose the 419, I can only choose between the 429 and the 448, and what I want is good bass and very good vocals.

According to your genre, I think 429 will perform overall better. Especially in bass region. 
448 lack of thump bass & more suitable to Kelly Clarkson like performances
The bass in 448 is tight & thin.

Jun 28, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

According to your genre, I think 429 will perform overall better. Especially in bass region. 
448 lack of thump bass & more suitable to Kelly Clarkson like performances
The bass in 448 is tight & thin.

I used to own an AKG K540 before, but man they suck bad. Mids and highs sound really thin and way too sharp and recessed, so that's why I wanna know sure that I'm getting a good product.

Jun 29, 2012 at 7:03 AM Post #13 of 20
Quote:
I used to own an AKG K540 before, but man they suck bad. Mids and highs sound really thin and way too sharp and recessed, so that's why I wanna know sure that I'm getting a good product.

Never tried it, some AKG really shine, some arent
Good product usually defined by what genre & personal sound preference (neutral/balanced, bassy, mid-centric, detail maniacs).

Jun 29, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #14 of 20
I am a basshead, but I do not think it is all there is to music. Umm, my mother purchased a sennheiser from bestbuy. It might have been the 448, it was $60, and I can tell you that the bass on it honestly sucks. it sounds kind of like laptop speakers and doesn't go very deep. The built quality and wire are rediculous for the price she paid. The wire was like floss. You are basically paying for the name slapped on the sides. I personally don't like sennheisers marketing for those reasons. For bass, you can check out the sony xb500s. I heard those were good for that reason without destroying the mids and highs too much. Do some more research.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:
I am a basshead, but I do not think it is all there is to music. Umm, my mother purchased a sennheiser from bestbuy. It might have been the 448, it was $60, and I can tell you that the bass on it honestly sucks. it sounds kind of like laptop speakers and doesn't go very deep. The built quality and wire are rediculous for the price she paid. The wire was like floss. You are basically paying for the name slapped on the sides. I personally don't like sennheisers marketing for those reasons. For bass, you can check out the sony xb500s. I heard those were good for that reason without destroying the mids and highs too much. Do some more research.

The xb500 doesnt have the clarity like the sennheiser and the bass is too boomy and they suck with games and movies, stick with the HD 429 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back