does anyone still love their ps1000?
Jul 7, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #241 of 292

Quote:
that's one thing i would never do with my ps1000 - balancing them. ii just don't have the guts to mess with the original - nondetachable - cable.  i'm no expert, but i wonder if that could be one possible area for improvement for the ps1000, and grados in general - that is, providing detachable cables (like with the hd-800)?  this would allow for more experimentation with cables and amps, if that's ones thing.  i'm sure there's a reason why john decided not to go that route, but i'm not sure why.  is it because detachable cables are inherently less reliable (because of the type of connection to the phonesthan  non-detachable ones?

Didn't someone ask Joe Grado if balancing his heaphones would be beneficial and he said no?

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #242 of 292

Quote:
that's one thing i would never do with my ps1000 - balancing them. i just don't have the guts to mess with the original - nondetachable - cable.  i'm no expert, but i wonder if that could be one possible area for improvement for the ps1000, and grados in general - that is, providing detachable cables (like with the hd-800)?  this would allow for more experimentation with cables and amps, if that's ones thing.  i'm sure there's a reason why john decided not to go that route, but i'm not sure why.  is it because detachable cables are inherently less reliable (because of the type of connection to the phones than non-detachable ones?

When my PS1000 was recabled with Moon's Silver Dragons, the headphones were not converted to a detachable cable type.  The stock wires were removed and replaced.  They fit, look and feel just as did the original.  I had the cable terminated with a 4 pin mini XLR so I could use either a final balanced or single ended adapter.  With my LCD2 and HD800, I think balancing improves them, the removable cable issues notwithstanding (but they're built that way).  Unfortunately, I can't yet say anything about whether the PS1000 is improved using the balanced final adapter because I don't want to use the unit with the HeadRoom BUDA until I have it tested (just to be sure - as said before - it works fine with my other phones).  Sticking it into a Woo 5 will prove nothing as it's only single ended.  I just wanted to address the issue of whether recabling somehow might degrade the PS1000's physical integrity.  I think not, if done correctly.  I would add that Grado did the recabling themselves so the attachment ought to meet the same standards as the stock cable.

Jul 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #243 of 292
my cable improved them slightly. honestly the stock cable is so good recabling it is a waste of money unless diy imo. i do have a xlr termination but i could not really tell any difference. so i have the 1/4" on the end of it. my cable is much more expensive for material than a black or silver dragon but i do not know if it is better. i don't think the dragon's make a large difference either. his stock cable is darn good for a stock cable. soldered cables are always better. i am saying this as an audio and electrical engineer. it is a simple fact of science. of course many things simply cannot have a soldered cable but headphones can. either way the difference between soldered and detachable is very maiginal at best. i suppose one could make a detachable cable for grado's. the phoenix is an awesome amp but i found the modded gcha was better. i am guessing the phoenix is better sound and better investment than the current gcha. the phoenix is an example of top quality gear made in china. you know people talk about large r&d etc. but i think what grado can do with their very limited in house resources is simply amazing. i think there are like 20 people in the whole company. it is no feat for sennheiser or sony to build a great headphone. they have many more resources at their disposal. i am guessing that certain amps could blow them. i think this might be the problem some people have had. you should have like 1 to 5 ohm output from the amp for these. btw, i wanted my cable to look fancy but i decided not to use techflex afterrall. my cable is so thick i think techflex would have just made it too stiff. the wires are also in a cotton sleeve so really the stock cable is at least much more durable. i kind of feel i wasted 7 hours making that since it made a rather small improvement. i wanted to mention that if the current gcha is the same plan on spending much more than the gcha on a power cable and vibration isolation. the one i have benefited a lot from an expensive cable and vibrapods. people argue if this stuff works. many times it makes little difference but on the gcha it is big. which makes me think the psu mr. mgowan brags about is not very good. if i had paid full price for my power cable on it i probably would not be using it now. it is a king cobra cx. when i had a $500 power cable it was not as good. quite frankly it is stupid that the power cable should be worth 4 times the amp but it seems to need it for the full performance.

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #244 of 292
thanks for all the info on the gcha, music_man. i guess the gcha is not such a bargain if it needs the king cobra to sound right.
eek.gif

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #245 of 292
Monsieurs, allow me to thank you for your discussion of Grado high end (one certainly over my balding head). Threads do often morph into a wild Medusa on the loose. I am old man and going to buy my last set of headphones--either GS1000i because am Grado fan especially my 225i set.

But need to sell about three sets of cans do not like such as Beyer 880/32, ATH A900 ( to move on to options above and also invest in couple different amps (am loyal consumer of Channel Island Audio (web site q.v) before trying so hard to let go of my deep love and obsession with headphones and calm down and just focus on the music. As soon as I earn my posting stripes will try selling equipment to get what I am dreaming of.

This site is invaluable in so many ways! though hard to navigate--especially just for cruising because love the endless infinite shop talk except the indulgence in technical esoterica in the cryptic number spouting (shows you are true member of the club as must be), but as retired university English prof who worked 40 years @ 60 hours a week and every summer to survive I find the indifference to 2nd grade writing conventions is very hard on me as I spent my life trying to teach people to write effectively while using the conventions of our language for success in business world, like using caps correctly.

So much to learn but given the large number of people who won't even use caps start of sentence is so hard on sensitive soul like me. Don't beat me up--am old and half crippled, but so hard to respect what a person is saying if not even serious enough to use language at minimum in real world. Not trying to be superior, just an advocate of how correct writing is also effective writing for the small minority of us not raised on iPhones who have hard time reading such complete indifference to use of language as would be expected in government, business, and churches.

I pray my words not meant with ill will so don't beat me up--might hurt my Feeling. Or go ahead, beat me up. Common component of our culture as seen in adversarial TV or driving with middle finger always at the ready. Still, I like so many of the kind and gentle folk here who care to be part of our community.

Soon as sell some current cans, get the LCD-2 I hope, will go hide in woods and be heard no more this side of eternity.

Regards, A

Jul 8, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #246 of 292

Quote:
Monsieurs, allow me to thank you for your discussion of Grado high end (one certainly over my balding head). Threads do often morph into a wild Medusa on the loose. I am old man and going to buy my last set of headphones--either GS1000i because am Grado fan especially my 225i set.

But need to sell about three sets of cans do not like such as Beyer 880/32, ATH A900 ( to move on to options above and also invest in couple different amps (am loyal consumer of Channel Island Audio (web site q.v) before trying so hard to let go of my deep love and obsession with headphones and calm down and just focus on the music. As soon as I earn my posting stripes will try selling equipment to get what I am dreaming of.

This site is invaluable in so many ways! though hard to navigate--especially just for cruising because love the endless infinite shop talk except the indulgence in technical esoterica in the cryptic number spouting (shows you are true member of the club as must be), but as retired university English prof who worked 40 years @ 60 hours a week and every summer to survive I find the indifference to 2nd grade writing conventions is very hard on me as I spent my life trying to teach people to write effectively while using the conventions of our language for success in business world, like using caps correctly.

So much to learn but given the large number of people who won't even use caps start of sentence is so hard on sensitive soul like me. Don't beat me up--am old and half crippled, but so hard to respect what a person is saying if not even serious enough to use language at minimum in real world. Not trying to be superior, just an advocate of how correct writing is also effective writing for the small minority of us not raised on iPhones who have hard time reading such complete indifference to use of language as would be expected in government, business, and churches.

I pray my words not meant with ill will so don't beat me up--might hurt my Feeling. Or go ahead, beat me up. Common component of our culture as seen in adversarial TV or driving with middle finger always at the ready. Still, I like so many of the kind and gentle folk here who care to be part of our community.

Soon as sell some current cans, get the LCD-2 I hope, will go hide in woods and be heard no more this side of eternity.

Regards, A

Monsieurs, allow me to thank you for your discussion of Grado high end (one certainly over my balding head). Threads do often morph into a wild Medusa on the loose. I am old man and going to buy my last set of headphones--either GS1000i because I am Grado fan especially my 225i set. or?

But I need to sell about three sets of cans I do not like such as Beyer 880/32, ATH A900 ( to move on to options above and also invest in couple different amps (am loyal consumer of Channel Island Audio (web site q.v) before trying so hard to let go of my deep love and obsession with headphones and calm down and just focus on the music.(?) As soon as I earn my posting stripes I will try selling equipment to get what I am dreaming of.

This site is invaluable in so many ways! Though hard to navigate--especially just for cruising because love the endless infinite shop talk except the indulgence in technical esoterica in the cryptic number spouting (shows you are true member of the club as must be), but as retired university English prof who worked 40 years @ 60 hours a week and every summer to survive I find that the indifference to 2nd grade writing conventions is very hard on me as I spent my life trying to teach people to write effectively while using the conventions of our language for success in business world, like using caps correctly.

There is so much to learn but given the large number of people who won't even use caps start of sentence is so hard on a sensitive soul like me. Don't beat me up--am old and half crippled, but it is so hard to respect what a person is saying if they are not even serious enough to use language at minimum in real world. Not trying to be superior, just an advocate of how correct writing is also effective writing for the small minority of us not raised on iPhones who have a hard time reading such complete indifference to use of language as would be expected in government, business, and churches.

I pray my words are not meant received with ill will so don't beat me up--might hurt my feelings. Or go ahead, beat me up. A common component of our culture is seen on adversarial TV or driving with one's middle finger always at the ready. Still, I am like so many of the kind and gentle folk here who care to be part of our community.

As soon as I sell some current cans and get the LCD-2, I hope I will go hide in woods and be heard no more this side of eternity.

Well you only had two capitalization errors, but plenty of grammatical ones. Are you typing on a telephone or is English your second language?
wink_face.gif

Welcome to Head-fi Darwin, I hope you have a nice thick skin and sorry about your wallet!

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #248 of 292
thanks for the info music_man

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #249 of 292
interesting ... there's so much hype about cables - and so much money spent on them (think stefanart) or even moon audio, etc., it's nice to hear folks appreciate grado's stock cable.  i agree that it is absolutely amazing how such a small company can produce such good products - completely fascinating.  it would be great if someone could do an updated interview with john and hear what he might have up his sleeve - if anything - for the future.....

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #250 of 292
I don't want to start a debate over the merits of after market cables but I am ambivalent about their worth, and perhaps even sceptical. After investing in an expensive pair of headphones, I don't feel inclined to pay extra to replace what should be good quality stock cables. I'd rather put that money towards a quality amp, source or expanding my music collection. There goes whatever audiophile credibility I might have had.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #251 of 292
Depends on headphones+cable combo. I tried several headphones that were good/better/improved sounding with after market cables, but also some that didnt do it for me, so, think its pretty personal as well.

Jul 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #252 of 292
Mr Bumblingbooby

Thank you for the positive reply to my eccentric post and my anticipation about what it would bring out of the woods knowing full well the consequences of letting my eccentricities flare even if they rarely fly.

I have encountered your posts a number of time and felt encouraged to endure the uncomfortable aspects of the site--especially the one upsmanship that seems to get in way of pursuing our love the tech specs and performance. Your posts are always most positive and also read the one about after market cables and hits home because intend to buy the LCD-2 from 32 Ohm in Portland, Or. (have you seen their site with photos of the store?). They push after market cable but I do not have the money nor think like you I should need the extra component after spending so much. Your post just saved me $500 for adding to my skepticism by demonstrating I was not alone in my doubts and so gave me the guts to say heck no I am not spending more!

Your username also a classic--for me suggests the name need for myself, if you will pardon what it hints of for me, since it says ever so succinctly how I feel as a husband and father, mostly husband. Bumblingbooby, yup, sorta how my wife over and over keeps telling me to do certain things in how I live from hour to hour or is it minute to minute?

Regards!

Art

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #253 of 292
That's very kind of you Art. I'm sure that there are others here who would not characterise my contributions quite so positively. With regard to the value of after market cables, that's just my opinion, which is based on blind prejudice more than anything else. There are other HeadFi'ers who firmly believe that after market cables can and do improve the sound of headphones based on their own experience. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back