DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 25, 2014 at 6:36 AM Post #1,787 of 4,424
It was just a freak chance.  The AMR DP-777 DAC has a Pre amp built in and a guy on another forum recommended using the DAC output's to run the headphones directly.  If he hadn't of told me to try this I never would have thought of it on my own.

I bought some cheap adapters to convert the RCA cables to a headphone socket to test it out.  It seemed to work well so I had a cable made up by Trevor at Norne Audio (ex Norse Audio) to run the LCD-3's directly from the balanced output on my DAC.

Without the amp, the LCD-3's sound a bit leaner and quicker, more open and with better lef to right imaging - but they loose a bit of "3D" in the soundstage depth.  I am right on the top of the volume dial however, ok with modern music (with dynamic range compression), but only just enough loudness for dynamic classical recordings.

I also tried running a friends HD800 and the UM Miracles directly from the output of the AMR, however neither matched very well - both too aggressive in the upper mid / treble region for my taste and with the miracles missing a lot of bass.  I guess as the LCD-3's are a darker more laid-back headphone the extra treble and midrange energy has good synergy.

The Stratus is a great amp.  I was tempted to keep it and get some HD800's just for classical as the Stratus - AMR - HD800 - Classical music combo is amazing, but I'm still happy with the Audeze cans.

Just tried out Gavtorn's method of connecting the LCD-3 directly to the RCA outputs of my DP-777 DAC. The LCD-3 sounded very much like what he described, so I can understand why he prefers this method than using the Stratus amplifier, especially when the amplifier costs an extra $3000 to $3500 including the upgraded tubes, in the chain. Unfortunately for my case, I still prefer driving the LCD-3 using the Stratus. To me, the Stratus is able to impart the DHT signature to the music, making the music richer with a little more emotions. The music also has more body. Overall, I simply feel more involved with the music with the Stratus in the chain.

By the way, has anyone compared the balanced and SE outputs of the Stratus in driving LCD-3 and find any differences? I wonder if the slightly lower impedance of SE output (can go to 3 ohm) could be a better match to the 45 ohm LCD-3?

May 25, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #1,788 of 4,424
just bought a WA5... but now I'm thinking of saving up for a Stratus so i have both an endgame 300B amp and a 2A3 amp 
evil_smiley.gif

May 25, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #1,789 of 4,424
  just bought a WA5... but now I'm thinking of saving up for a Stratus so i have both an endgame 300B amp and a 2A3 amp 
evil_smiley.gif

Ah here - leave some room for the rest of us. 
wink.gif

Just ask them in work to pay you in tube amps instead of cash! Try it for 6 months. 
biggrin.gif

May 25, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #1,791 of 4,424

TRAITOR!!  
very_evil_smiley.gif

Congrats, DSG.  
redface.gif
   I guess DNA couldn't woo you away from your good 'ole tube days/roots, eh?

nah, I just figured the WA5 would be better since it can drive HE-6 and I've heard alot of good things about it from friends. But yeah would be nice to see how good the top woo is. I still want a DNA someday, but reading up on 2A3 vs 300B, wasn't sure what to get.

May 26, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #1,792 of 4,424
Here you go: a picture of one of them, a picture of the inside (yes, it is a 2-stage (DC) amp), and I have replaced the OPT on each with a larger MQ model with more windings in the secondary.  My Stratus sits by my bed.  The headphone amp is BC SBH with a custom cap pack and also has a pre-amp. I've recently replaced the preamp part with a custom BC preamp that uses the SBH power supply and cap pack, but has 3 output boards for the preamp.

and a picture of them in my Christmas system, taken in 2013.

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

Very nice. Can I ask what the audio note box on the bottom shelf is? Thanks

May 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #1,793 of 4,424
Very nice. Can I ask what the audio note box on the bottom shelf is? Thanks

It's a Meishu Silver, a Level 3, AN integrated 300B amp. The S denotes HiB dual C-core OPTs.  They make a big difference. AN also makes a power amp with the same circuit sans the preamp stage and power supply for the preamp.  

May 26, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #1,794 of 4,424
Just tried out Gavtorn's method of connecting the LCD-3 directly to the RCA outputs of my DP-777 DAC. The LCD-3 sounded very much like what he described, so I can understand why he prefers this method than using the Stratus amplifier, especially when the amplifier costs an extra $3000 to $3500 including the upgraded tubes, in the chain. Unfortunately for my case, I still prefer driving the LCD-3 using the Stratus. To me, the Stratus is able to impart the DHT signature to the music, making the music richer with a little more emotions. The music also has more body. Overall, I simply feel more involved with the music with the Stratus in the chain.

By the way, has anyone compared the balanced and SE outputs of the Stratus in driving LCD-3 and find any differences? I wonder if the slightly lower impedance of SE output (can go to 3 ohm) could be a better match to the 45 ohm LCD-3?

Did Gavtorn hook his LCD-3s up to the RCAs or the XLRs?

May 26, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #1,795 of 4,424
It's a Meishu Silver, a Level 3, AN integrated 300B amp. The S denotes HiB dual C-core OPTs.  They make a big difference. AN also makes a power amp with the same circuit sans the preamp stage and power supply for the preamp.  

Thanks. I did not see it in your profile. I had a soros a long while ago. Always wanted to try a meishu, I have heard it at the local shop, but my speakers are not quite efficient enough

May 26, 2014 at 5:56 PM Post #1,796 of 4,424

Hi Froger,

Thanks for your impressions :)  I have just sent my 3's back to Audeze for the Fazor upgrade.  It will be interesting to see how they pair with the AMR now.

I have a cable for the 3's that has a 4 pin balanced plug and a connector for SE, for me there was only a very slight improvement using the balanced connector.

May 26, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #1,798 of 4,424
  Hi Froger,

Thanks for your impressions :)  I have just sent my 3's back to Audeze for the Fazor upgrade.  It will be interesting to see how they pair with the AMR now.

I have a cable for the 3's that has a 4 pin balanced plug and a connector for SE, for me there was only a very slight improvement using the balanced connector.

Look forward to your impression on the Fazor upgrade. I am thinking about the upgrade, but I really enjoy the creamy mid that my non-Fazor LCD-3 is having now. 

I compared the stock SE and balanced Audeze cables and I thought the SE cable gave the sound slightly better imaging and sound a little more dynamic. I prefer listening using the SE output overall and thus I just ordered a 4 pins XLR to TRS adaptor/plug from Trevor for my balanced Reign 4 cable.

May 26, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #1,799 of 4,424
  Look forward to your impression on the Fazor upgrade. I am thinking about the upgrade, but I really enjoy the creamy mid that my non-Fazor LCD-3 is having now. 

I compared the stock SE and balanced Audeze cables and I thought the SE cable gave the sound slightly better imaging and sound a little more dynamic. I prefer listening using the SE output overall and thus I just ordered a 4 pins XLR to TRS adaptor/plug from Trevor for my balanced Reign 4 cable.

The upgrade came to a fair bit more than I expected given the cost of shipping and a bad paypal conversion rate.  So I'm hoping it's a worthwhile upgrade too :)  Will let you know how it goes.

May 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #1,800 of 4,424

The signal is the same single and balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back