DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 26, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,802 of 4,456
The signal is the same single and balanced.

Well, the impedence is not. The SE output can go lower to 3 ohm, that's why I am asking if anyone can hear any difference with the 45 ohm LCD-3. Have you heard and compared any Audeze hp on the SE and balanced outputs of the Stratus?

May 27, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #1,803 of 4,456
Thanks. I did not see it in your profile. I had a soros a long while ago. Always wanted to try a meishu, I have heard it at the local shop, but my speakers are not quite efficient enoug

I'm not sure I've ever changed my profile. I'll have to look into that.  In any event, my son has the amp, now.  I liked it very much, but i had too many amps and it was just to heavy for an old guy to move around.  By the way, all it requires is a high-impedance set of speakers.  Sensitivity isn't that important, it worked well with my LS3/5A speakers, even though they are only 83dB sensitive (but are generally above 8 Ohms throughout the frequency spectrum). 

May 28, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #1,804 of 4,456
A pair of new tubes just arrived... Burning-in right now. Have been loving my LCD-3 with the Sophia Princess tubes so far, wonder if these EML mesh are able to bring a different flavor to the table.

May 28, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,805 of 4,456
A pair of new tubes just arrived... Burning-in right now. Have been loving my LCD-3 with the Sophia Princess tubes so far, wonder if these EML mesh are able to bring a different flavor to the table.

Keep us updated I might go that route myself. 

May 28, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #1,807 of 4,456
Aren't the EML's over $600 for a matched pair? That's pushing the envelope for a new production tube for me. Please let us know your thoughts on them

May 28, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #1,808 of 4,456
Aren't the EML's over $600 for a matched pair? That's pushing the envelope for a new production tube for me. Please let us know your thoughts on them

It is a bit expensive, especially if they are a bit bright with HD800's in the stratus as some people have said. Some others rate them a good pairing with the LCD headphones but i wonder are they the best 2A3's for planar cans in the Stratus?

What other 2A3's would be good for planar headphones in the stratus?

May 28, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #1,809 of 4,456
I have EML mesh plates with LCD3 and they are very nice, rich and very smooth. Right now I am burning-in Shuguang Nature Sound (2A3C-T) tubes and, so far, I like them better than EMLs. More open. The EMLs sound more dense (not thick). So far, the best tube I have heard with the LCDs is the Psvane WR2A3 but I can't seem to purchase a Psvane 2A3 tube that doesn't have a lot of low level noise. I've posted before all the problems I have had. Maybe it is limited to their 2A3s. Out of like 9 different tubes (5-2A3T MkIIs and 4-WR2A3s) I have only had ONE tube that didn't sputter and tick and make strange humpback whale sounds. The Shuguang Nature Sounds come close but the Psvane WR2A3s sound better - or I should say they would sound better without the annoying noises.

May 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #1,810 of 4,456
I think I am on the other side. I don't like my LCD-3 with the Shuguang Nature sound tubes, a bit too smooth on the top and clarity does not seem as good when compared to Sophia Princess tubes. I thought the LCD-3 sounds a bit slower/muddier with the Shuguang tubes.

I do like my HD800 very much with the Shuguang Nature sound tubes. I think the Shuguang Nature sound tubes, in general, thickens the sound and smoothens the top, which makes it a good match with HD800. On top of that, it also provides a very nice soundstage.

May 29, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #1,811 of 4,456
  I have EML mesh plates with LCD3 and they are very nice, rich and very smooth. Right now I am burning-in Shuguang Nature Sound (2A3C-T) tubes and, so far, I like them better than EMLs. More open. The EMLs sound more dense (not thick). So far, the best tube I have heard with the LCDs is the Psvane WR2A3 but I can't seem to purchase a Psvane 2A3 tube that doesn't have a lot of low level noise. I've posted before all the problems I have had. Maybe it is limited to their 2A3s. Out of like 9 different tubes (5-2A3T MkIIs and 4-WR2A3s) I have only had ONE tube that didn't sputter and tick and make strange humpback whale sounds. The Shuguang Nature Sounds come close but the Psvane WR2A3s sound better - or I should say they would sound better without the annoying noises.

I agree. I tried two pair of WR2A3s. They both produced rich tone and superb voice differentiation, the best I've experienced on my Stratus. But all four began to spit-n-sizzle after 50 hrs or less. What a shame.

May 30, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #1,812 of 4,456
Can someone put the EML 5U4G beside their hand or a pen or something and take a picture of it so i can see the size?

May 30, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #1,814 of 4,456
May 31, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #1,815 of 4,456
I've pick-up a pair of TJ Fullmusic 2a3/SE from local used classified. The previous owner planned to use them for his preamp diy project. Apparently, these tubes had significant followers among diy. But, I was a bit reluctant as they were pricy and TJ had high failure rate for its 300B (according to local tube-maker).

I'm quite happy with my pair of sophia (with u52). Holographic soundstage, smooth, seductive mids, and extension on both end. However, I felt that I kind of miss the texture of vocal and instrument (I felt my system a bit too smooth, and miss that raw nuance of the music). So I decided to pick up that tubes a few days ago. Previous owner said he run about 25hrs. So far, I had about less than 25 hrs. And they do have the texture that I looking for. It still lose a bit of the soundstage of sophia (maybe still need more burn-in), a bit forward in vocal than sophia, but have the texture to die for. To compare with dac, IMO, sophia had that bit that I like from a good implementation of ess chip (soundstage, smoothness), and TJ 2a3/se had that texture from multi-bit dac. Hopefully, these pair will not have that failure issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back