DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jun 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,816 of 4,457
Yesterday was spent with EML 2A3-meshplates, EML 5U4G mesh and the stock 6N1P.  And I will be frank with you, sacrilegious as it may sound, I was about to jump off the Audez'e band-wagon.  Until now.  I was never fully satisfied with my LCD-2s so I eagerly bought a pair of LCD-3s hoping for the horizon to broaden and the wax to wane, only to discover that same "humidity" that coated the previous iteration.  "Humidity" was the best word I could come up with since it's like a veil, to be sure, but not exactly a textile one, to my ears; it has a somewhat thick, summer morning aspect to it, covering everything in the sonic landscape, making edges less distinct, blanketing the sound with pre-storm silence.

This, I had to assume, was part of the Audez'e house sound.  T-1s, HD800s do not do this, at least not on my amps.  They both have their own frequency signature but they are not humid, not with my WA-6SE (with the magical EML 274B mesh) and my Wright 215i (with NOS Siemens EL84s); with these, they both reach for the stars.  The D7000s do not do this either.  They are tough to find the right amp for but my SAA-modded Phonitor has allowed them to sprout wings.  The closest I came to being able to see through to the music of the LCD-3s has been using the ECC35 driver with KR PX4s in the ECBA.  The extra oomph of the 6SL7 variant clears a lot of the humidity away - for the LCD-3s as well as for the HE-6s and K1000s...

Until now.  The the Stratus has brought out THE BEST I have ever heard from the LCD-2s and 3s, the K1000s and the HE6s -- AS WELL AS the T-1s and HD800s, which is where the ECBA cannot compete - at least at early blush.  The dynamic punch of the Stratus is like a hot desert wind at sunrise, drying the dew upon contact.  The deep extended bass actually shakes my body and the sparkly treble bites into me, creating a kind of sonic harmony and rightness I have been in search of since I started this, ahem, hobby, a while ago. 

Well done, Donald!

I quote the above post from fejnomit because it just described so well how LCD-3 sounds out of EML 2A3. I was previously using the Sophia Princess with the LCD-3 and I thought it already sounded very good, but the EML Mesh just brought a higher level of clarity, which brings you closer to the music. In my case, the EML tube has brought the LCD-3 to the same level of enjoyment as HD800 driven by Stratus. I have also swapped my EML 5U4G to U52 as I thought the EML rectifier together with 2A3 sounded a bit too clean (solid state amp) sounding to my liking. This is purely my preference for the tone as both rectifiers are technically on the same level IMO, so I won't be surprised others prefer the EML 5U4G. It could be be new toy syndrome, but I find myself grabbing the LCD-3 most of the time nowadays listening to my pop songs. My LCD-3 set up surprises me all the time making these supposedly ordinarily mastered pop songs sound like well recorded high res music. As LCD-3 is more forgiving than the HD800, I also find myself listening to more songs in my collection.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,817 of 4,457
I quote the above post from fejnomit because it just described so well how LCD-3 sounds out of EML 2A3. I was previously using the Sophia Princess with the LCD-3 and I thought it already sounded very good, but the EML Mesh just brought a higher level of clarity, which brings you closer to the music. In my case, the EML tube has brought the LCD-3 to the same level of enjoyment as HD800 driven by Stratus. I have also swapped my EML 5U4G to U52 as I thought the EML rectifier together with 2A3 sounded a bit too clean (solid state amp) sounding to my liking. This is purely my preference for the tone as both rectifiers are technically on the same level IMO, so I won't be surprised others prefer the EML 5U4G. It could be be new toy syndrome, but I find myself grabbing the LCD-3 most of the time nowadays listening to my pop songs. My LCD-3 set up surprises me all the time making these supposedly ordinarily mastered pop songs sound like well recorded high res music. As LCD-3 is more forgiving than the HD800, I also find myself listening to more songs in my collection.

although not an Audeze fan per se here, I have to say that I really liked LCD3 when I heard it on the Stratus. Anyone looking for a tube amp for the 3 or 2 should def give the Stratus some serious thought and/or listen  

Glad you are still liking you Stratus Froger! 

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:50 AM Post #1,819 of 4,457
  Would the XC pair well with the Stratus?

Good question - I have asked this before but today I am very forgetful. Someone on here has tried the Combo and really liked it. I think most people like EML 2A3's with the Audeze cans and I think the same would apply for the LCD XC. 

I think the general consensus is to find a tube set that is a bit brighter because it seems to suit the planar's that way with the stratus. 

Jun 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #1,820 of 4,457
  Good question - I have asked this before but today I am very forgetful. Someone on here has tried the Combo and really liked it. I think most people like EML 2A3's with the Audeze cans and I think the same would apply for the LCD XC. 

I think the general consensus is to find a tube set that is a bit brighter because it seems to suit the planar's that way with the stratus. 

Thanks for that. The search continues for an upgraded amp to pair with the XCs.

Jun 9, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,821 of 4,457
The Stratus should pair well with just about any headphones especially the XCs. With my LCD3s (with fazor upgrade) I enjoyed the EML Mesphlates but find the Shuguang Nature Sound tubes have a bigger bottom end and more extended top end. The Psvane WR2A3s are still the best I've ever heard with LCD3s and Stratus BUT I've posted before all the trouble I've had with Psvane tubes. To my ears the Shuguang Nature Sounds come close after a little burn-in. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #1,822 of 4,457
Well, my deposit is in and now the wait begins :) Donald is projecting about 3 months from now. I plan to keep my Auralic Taurus Mk.II and see how the two amps fare against one another. I am extremely excited and will have to try and pass the time by stocking up on tubes :D

Jun 11, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,823 of 4,457
Well, my deposit is in and now the wait begins
smily_headphones1.gif
Donald is projecting about 3 months from now. I plan to keep my Auralic Taurus Mk.II and see how the two amps fare against one another. I am extremely excited and will have to try and pass the time by stocking up on tubes
biggrin.gif

looks like we will have ours around the same time 
biggrin.gif

I have already begun my tube hunt

Jun 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #1,824 of 4,457
Well, my deposit is in and now the wait begins
smily_headphones1.gif
Donald is projecting about 3 months from now. I plan to keep my Auralic Taurus Mk.II and see how the two amps fare against one another. I am extremely excited and will have to try and pass the time by stocking up on tubes
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Congrats! I'm still eagerly waiting for mine and should be arriving sometime next month! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #1,825 of 4,457
Congrats to the new Stratus owners or soon to be owners! You made a great choice.

My favorite tubes on the Stratus at the moment: Sylvania Double-Flat Plate 2A3 + RCA 5U4G + Westinghouse 6BQ7A => HD650.

If you're going NOS 2A3 on the Stratus, def go Sylvania. I'm getting killer soundstage and beautiful midrange on this setup. Enjoying it so much I've sold my HE500 and LCD3(!). (It's also nice to have the SR009 as backup :wink:

Thank you Dubstep Girl for that rectifier list. Will def try out some of those tubes.

Heads up! I'm putting up my EML 5U4G tube and other rectifier and driver tubes for sale. Check out the ad and PM if interest.

Jun 12, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #1,826 of 4,457
My congrats to new Stratus owners too. After more than a year and lots of tube rolling my current set-up is Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3s, cryo pearl 6N1P and Marconi U52 rectifier. I find the Shuguang's to have a fuller bottom end, a more extended top end and more separation than the EML meshplates - surprisingly. I'm listening through LCD-3 with fazor upgrade.

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #1,827 of 4,457
biggrin.gif

Congrats to the new Stratus owners or soon to be owners! You made a great choice.

My favorite tubes on the Stratus at the moment: Sylvania Double-Flat Plate 2A3 + RCA 5U4G + Westinghouse 6BQ7A => HD650.

If you're going NOS 2A3 on the Stratus, def go Sylvania. I'm getting killer soundstage and beautiful midrange on this setup. Enjoying it so much I've sold my HE500 and LCD3(!). (It's also nice to have the SR009 as backup :wink:

Thank you Dubstep Girl for that rectifier list. Will def try out some of those tubes.

Heads up! I'm putting up my EML 5U4G tube and other rectifier and driver tubes for sale. Check out the ad and PM if interest.

Very interesting thoughts! My understanding is that RCA made the 2A3 for Sylvania so I would not imagine much (if any) difference. But I look forward to hearing for myself :)

Current Tubes that I have to try are:
2A3 - RCA dual plate, grey plates
5U4G - British Brimar
5U4G - RCA Military 

I tend to prefer NOS tubes to current production but will likely experience with at least 1 new production tube at some point to hear them

Jun 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,828 of 4,457
I'm no tube historian but I'm pretty sure Sylvania was the OEM of most of its own tubes and tubes of other companies. I've seen old RCA monoplate 2A3's with Sylvania markings on the bottom base. Even the similar looking RCA and Sylvania biplate 2A3's from the same period sound different; Sylvania with the sweeter midrange and top extension; the RCA with the thicker mid to bottom. But again I'm no historian.

Either way I prefer the Sylvania 2A3 to the RCA due to its more linear sound which is the idea sound signature to match with just about any headphone.

Jun 12, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,829 of 4,457
This is contrary to everything I have heard from a few sources who making their livings in the valve industry but you have heard both sets and I have not

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #1,830 of 4,457
  My congrats to new Stratus owners too. After more than a year and lots of tube rolling my current set-up is Shuguang Nature Sound 2A3s, cryo pearl 6N1P and Marconi U52 rectifier. I find the Shuguang's to have a fuller bottom end, a more extended top end and more separation than the EML meshplates - surprisingly. I'm listening through LCD-3 with fazor upgrade.

This is my "standard" config as of now and it's working out very well also.  Sometimes I swap in some Sylvania 2A3's to switch things up (dual flat plates or spring tops), you should try this with the Audeze stuff as I've found it's a better match.  The Natural Sound is just perfect for the HD800.

Congrats to the new Stratus owners.....epic stuff awaits you truly.....Stratus has scratched my itch for upgrading equipment.  Got the GS-X coming (apples and oranges) so I think I'll be good for a long time with my equipment for head fi.   Will post some impressions to compare down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back