DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
May 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #1,756 of 4,456

That's a great question. I've only listened to the upgraded Stratus with my regular tube complement (Sophia Princess 2A3's, RCA 5U4G, RCA 6BQ7A). I'll try 2 things this weekend, first listening to the upgraded Stratus with stock tubes, and then going back to my original Stratus with the upgraded tubes. Off the top of my head, I think upgrading the original Stratus tubes will have a bigger impact but can't say for sure.

That's the exact same tubes I have purchased while waiting for the Stratus to be built by Donald, with the exception of one Cryoset Voshod 6N1P-EV. But will probably stick to stock tubes first while burning and fully understand how it sounds before changing to the NOS tubes.

According to Donald, the -EB/EV versions of the 6N1P are suppose to sound one of the best and even the regular 6N1P and -BU version sounds good as well.

May 16, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,757 of 4,456

I don't think either the WA5 or the Stratus will best your Forte with the HE6's...  You need to get the Stratus and a pair of HD800's again because they are totally different than the HE6 or the TH-900.  It would give you some outstanding options.

1A -> HE6
GSX -> TH-900
DNA -> HD800

Woah!
beerchug.gif

IDK, but it looks like you have quite a good HE6 amp already. I don't know that WA5 could best it. If I were you I would get the stratus, and start saving to a PASS power amp or something like that. That's just my opinion. Either way you go, please let us know how it works out. 

oh I know the WA5 won't beat the Forte, but its another amp I can use the HE-6 with.

I am planning HD 800 repurchase, and I feel like the WA5 would be great with it, though the Stratus as well. That's why I'm decided. The fact that the WA5 has that speaker output for HE-6 is a plus though, also u can use that 4 pin XLR and get like 9 watts out of it.

I would also slowly over time rebuy some of the other flagships I've owned like T1, Audeze, Grado, etc... Just need to get my endgame tube amp in, buy some tubes, and be done. Would be nice if the WA5 could be compared side-by-side to the Stratus, 2A3 vs. 300B, both amps considered to be amongst the best. I just don't know which will suit me better. Both will drive just about any other headphone. HD 800 and T1 are the most important for me to find synergy with (and I've heard great things about WA5 and T1 as well as Stratus and T1) as I would use tubes the most with it, my GSX would be for Th-900 and Planars as I'm quite convinced there is nothing better for an Audeze than the GS-X.

May 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #1,758 of 4,456
No LCDX, sorry.

In terms of planars, the Audeze and Hifiman are very different...  The LCD-3s are much more versatile but obviously benefit from something that opens up their top end, like dual flat plate Sylvania.  They also like EML rectifier.

With the HE-6, for tubes I like the Ken Rad box plates with the U52 rectifier.  But it's more a question of source.  My high gain phono stage just rips through the Stratus into the HE-6s.  They are very very much alive.  Having higher gain - or variable gain - on the source side is helpful...

What tube compliment are you using with the HD800’s?

May 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM Post #1,759 of 4,456
Just got a pair of 8 month old LCD-3 in great condition. Swapped in the Sophia princess 2A3 and EML rectifier in the Stratus, and wow, the LCD-3 sounds really nice with the Stratus. Took my brain a while to burn in to the Audeze house sound, coming from HD800, but once my ears adjusted to the sound, the Audeze voicing is just so seductive and soothing. It made me realize how much I have missed the Audeze sound since I sold my LCD2.2 last year. I have been thinking for some time whether to get the new HE-560, but in end, decide that the LCD-3 should be a better compliment to my HD800.

I also tried the Sophia 2A3 together with my GEC U52 and I thought it was a very nice combi too, more romantic sounding than the EML 5U4G. In the end, I opted for the EML as it is slightly more engaging to my ears, and gives a slightly tighter bass.

May 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #1,760 of 4,456
I know there is at least one guy on here that prefers the DNA Stratus to the zana and had both at one stage. 

I think zana is ok but BA is garbage imo, especially at its asking price

May 18, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,763 of 4,456
No LCDX, sorry.

In terms of planars, the Audeze and Hifiman are very different...  The LCD-3s are much more versatile but obviously benefit from something that opens up their top end, like dual flat plate Sylvania.  They also like EML rectifier.
How does the dual flat plate Sylvania compare to EML mesh 2A3 for LCD-3?

May 18, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,764 of 4,456
Anyone here give impressions of DNA Stratus/LCD XC ? I cant remember reading any. 

May 18, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #1,765 of 4,456
How does the dual flat plate Sylvania compare to EML mesh 2A3 for LCD-3?
More low end and top end extension on the EML tube as well as more detail and wider sound stage. The Sylvania tube's strength is midrange and is best suited for vocal music and light classical and acoustic. I also like the 2C4C tube with the LCD3, which is similar to the EML, just a little less detailed, smaller sound stage and maybe a bit stronger bass. Can't beat the EML and 2C4C for modern music.

May 19, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #1,766 of 4,456
Got a brand new pair of HD650s in Denmark for less than I would have paid in the US!  Got a silver cable from Moon-Audio to go with my old Cardas cable. To tell the truth, the sonic differences between these 2 cables and the stock cable are non-existent to small.  The mid-range and treble on these headphones is much better than the HD800 and somewhat better than on the Audeze LCD-2. (I am not a bass- or soundstage-head). I am running AVVT 2A3 meshplates+ stock driver + RCA military 5U4G, alternating between K-701 and HD650 headphones.  

As it has always been, it is the amp that dominates everything else...except the headphones.  In fact, I am thinking about getting another adapter from Blue Circle that will allow me to play my SET and PP speaker amps through headphones (from my existing adapter), plus with the new adapter allowing me to plug in the Stratus so I can play it over my moderately sensitive (95 dB) speakers. We'll see: nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

May 19, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #1,767 of 4,456
When connecting the HD800 or the LCD-3 with a balanced cable to the 4-pin XLR output, and switch between BAL / SE output I hear no difference in sound, to me it is of the same very high quality with ultra high resolution. Maybe I am still in my honeymoon mood with the Stratus. Does anybody hear a difference?

I am asking this because on the TRS output we can choose between IEC / Low impedance and 0/-6dB output. With the Sonett I prefer the IEC output for the HD800. Before I would build an XLR -> TRS adapter or put a 1/4" plug on the HD800 cable I am curious about your findings and which setting you prefer with the HD800.

May 19, 2014 at 4:05 PM Post #1,768 of 4,456
  When connecting the HD800 or the LCD-3 with a balanced cable to the 4-pin XLR output, and switch between BAL / SE output I hear no difference in sound, to me it is of the same very high quality with ultra high resolution. Maybe I am still in my honeymoon mood with the Stratus. Does anybody hear a difference?

I am asking this because on the TRS output we can choose between IEC / Low impedance and 0/-6dB output. With the Sonett I prefer the IEC output for the HD800. Before I would build an XLR -> TRS adapter or put a 1/4" plug on the HD800 cable I am curious about your findings and which setting you prefer with the HD800.

I hear no difference either, I don't think the switch affects anything. I greatly prefer running my HD800 with the 4 pin XLR.

May 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #1,769 of 4,456
  As it has always been, it is the amp that dominates everything else...except the headphones.  In fact, I am thinking about getting another adapter from Blue Circle that will allow me to play my SET and PP speaker amps through headphones (from my existing adapter), plus with the new adapter allowing me to plug in the Stratus so I can play it over my moderately sensitive (95 dB) speakers. We'll see: nothing ventured, nothing gained. 

Gilbert at BC made an adapter for you that will allow you to use your Stratus to drive your 95dB speakers? a step-down transformer, or a resistor bridge to match 8 Ohms?

I can't find such an adapter on bluecircle.com. Would you please describe what you have?

thanks

May 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM Post #1,770 of 4,456

Gilbert at BC made an adapter for you that will allow you to use your Stratus to drive your 95dB speakers? a step-down transformer, or a resistor bridge to match 8 Ohms?

I can't find such an adapter on bluecircle.com. Would you please describe what you have?

thanks

This is very interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back