DIY Earbuds
Jul 19, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #991 of 4,725
My first ever wood build is born today !

xood_1.jpg

Sans titre-1.jpg

Those shells that we can easily find aliexpress are really cool. The wood is good quality and they are well finished. Sound is very good overall, but my only issue with them is that they only fit big ears (which I don't have..), unless wearing them without any foam at all, but strangely they don't sound so bad at all foamless (which is a good thing depending on the drivers used) !

Jul 20, 2019 at 5:26 PM Post #993 of 4,725
Jul 20, 2019 at 7:06 PM Post #995 of 4,725
I ordered those mmcx connectors and the wood shells, do you have an idea if they will fit?
About those metal shells being conical near the driver and the wood shells being round in the same part, does wood take too much more space in the ear or it's +- the same?

What about the shell material, metal vs wood vs plastic, are there differences that you can point out, like is there a warm/bright shell type?
What about stage and voice image based on those shell shapes, any conclusion or comments?

Jul 21, 2019 at 6:12 AM Post #999 of 4,725
I ordered those mmcx connectors and the wood shells, do you have an idea if they will fit?
This is the first thing I tried to see once received, but unfortunately the cavity is very small due to wood thickness, so the usual mmcx connectors we can find does not fit as the main wire hole is too big, so the only sort of mmcx connectors that should fit are those ones, but the included nuts does not enter in the cavity to be screwed. We can always try with some kind of glues but on wood, its always a bit special and I doubt it will be securly fixed forever. I think those already made wood shells are better to be used with thin wires only.
On my metal build, I perforated the main wire hole to let enter freely the mmcx connectors that I quoted, which are better fit than the ones included because thicker and shorter.

About those metal shells being conical near the driver and the wood shells being round in the same part, does wood take too much more space in the ear or it's +- the same?
The wood shells will only fit big ears with usual MX500 drivers plastic covers, while the metal ones are more standard, I can have the same (if not better) fit than plastic shells.
My only cons in those both metal and wood shells is that drivers need some glue to be fixed and stay in place. Otherwise on the metal ones (especially) drivers rotate freely and does not "snap" like we can see on standard plastic shells.

What about the shell material, metal vs wood vs plastic, are there differences that you can point out, like is there a warm/bright shell type?
After experimenting that, I can say that I returned back to standard plastic shells, because metal sounds (typical) slightly metallic and slightlmy less natural, otherwise it was very close to plastic, so I rank them in my second best choice. I did not spend too much time with wood, but it here also has the characteristics we can wait from wood, so everything is a bit tamed and bass a bit more bolded due to other freqs tamed.

What about stage and voice image based on those shell shapes, any conclusion or comments?
Those shells sounds VERY different from each other, best way is to experiment (price is very acceptable anyway), but beware of the metal that is extremely fragile around the drivers "snap" part. Also the included grids to cover the holes are not correctly glued to the metal part better use custom filters.
They are both recommended for fun experimentations, but I personally prefer standard plastic shells for now (easier and funnier to make holes mods, mainly).

My builds from yesterday

Very nice builds,
Does the shells you used in your "old reclaimed drivers" build, is snapping well without glue generic MX500 drivers ? (15.4mm) // I recognize the RY4S shells type
Also, how is the fit and comfort compared to most commons MX500 shells ?
I'm looking for a shell between comfort of MX500 and yuin PK :)

What are these shells
Where did you find them
Here is the links of the shells I used :

Jul 21, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #1,000 of 4,725
I got the connectors (B) from here, acceptable price for only 1 pair:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33035633031.html

mmcx1.jpg

mmcx2.jpg

I also have these taps, useful to make several screw thread sizes, other sizes can be bought:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32834979916.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32320148126.html

If the wood wall was thick I could only screw the connector, but I don't know if it's that thick to hold, I'll see when it arrives.
From the photo the nut can't be much smaller.

I had bought several of these cables to cut the mmcx connector and use only the wire and jack in my projects, but they are so good, I couldn't cut them yet:
(I don't have many different to compare, but I liked this model the best for it's price and quality, so I bought more of these)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32971728152.html
They are very good and were around 5 eur with coupons at the time, search for the better price, many sellers have them.
They also have the 16 core version, but I don't think 8 wires can fit 1 shell, but they must be good to use with mmcx.
I got the 8 cores version to cut the mmcx, but I liked them so much that I bought more to also use them with mmcx. I think 4 wires could fit the shell.
I used a x-acto knife to cut the stiff transparent sleeve only leaving like 4mm out of the mmcx connector, then I trimmed the sleeve edge with a nail clipper.

cut.jpg
Transparent sleeve length cut (photo wire color is bad light reflection, real wire color is all copper with no oxidation)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #1,005 of 4,725
Hi! :)
I would really like to build an earbud with smooth natural sound in an mx760 shell. I've found this DIY set which seems nice, but this would be my first project and I'm not sure if it's any good. Has anyone tried this before?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32960995932.html
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back