DIY Earbuds
Jul 15, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #976 of 4,707
my experiments will continue, even electronic tinkering
Just want to share you guys the link of my yet best 150 ohms 15.4mm drivers (they are the ones that equip my best MX500 shells mod) : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32983256142.html
I really enjoy the warm side, resolution, bass impact, mids, details, soundstage. Everything is there. Highly recommended, moreover for the price!

*edit* : oh well.. just ordered the 130 ohm 15.4mm beryllium drivers (with your 35 ohm PET drivers) ! lol
couldn't resist.... :D

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019 at 4:04 AM Post #977 of 4,707
So, as promised, here are my quick impressions of these drivers.
I tried many shells tips, but unfortunately I don't recommend them at all. They sound dull and veiled overall. While the soundstage is large enough end enjoyable, this is more a mid-centric driver before all. Lacking details, and average bass (almost no subbass). Highs are very softened, so it is good for long period listening.

Btw, here is a little pic how it looks on Yuin shells with these drivers. Looking good, but too bad for the sound then.

IMG_20190715_204506_2.jpg

Jul 17, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #979 of 4,707
Just received today my new 15.4mm 150 ohm variant drivers!
I stay you guys tuned for the first try with them tonight :)

And as promised, here are my quick impressions of these drivers.
There is for sure much enjoyment in the mids and highs, but bass feels lacking punch and dynamic, does not rumble at all (almost no subbass). Slightly sounding "congested", not very natural and transparent.
Soundstage is average but coherent and intimate.
I tried some MX500 shell modding to see but unfortunately drivers does not respond well and remains the same sounding. I tried also to remove the white coton tuning (that we can easily find on ali), and put another more common but same sound. I tried without anything and same sound too.
I recommend them for musics that don't requires much bass, better for vocals or instrumental I would say.
I decided to remove them to solder again my previous 150 ohm reference drivers (that I shared recently).

From my DIY experience I remarked that the sound is altered by drivers which makes 80% of the overall sound (approx), other 20% are : 10% on tuning shells tune, and 10% in the quality wires used (copper/silver).
When a driver sound bad from the beginning, no need to let it burn for so many hours to expect any changement, as it will already sound at least 90% of their best. That is why I dont spend much time keeping the driver units I don't like (don't worry so much, as I don't throw them after that :D)

I'm currently experimenting some various "coton" tuning (or other materials), into yuin shells, we can do incredible changements which affects the sound to perfectly match our tastes.
Next step: can't wait to receive my 130 ohm beryllium drivers, and the 32 ohm PET recommended by @HungryPanda ! :)
I expect a lot from these and competition between my reference 150 ohm will be hard I guess.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #983 of 4,707
I actually listen to a lot of my builds, but my favourite drivers are 32 ohm carbon, 400 ohm beryllium and some old 30 ohm drivers that someone got for me that cannot be bought

Jul 17, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #984 of 4,707
A also like and use other earbuds I have, but the 400 ohm beryllium graphene are my favorites, the ones I use most of the time.
I don't have the carbon you mention.
Anyone tried the 500 ohm ?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back