DIY Earbuds
Jul 5, 2019 at 8:59 AM Post #961 of 4,721
What you guys thinks about those shells? looks good!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33013205678.html

HTB1Tv3cVsfpK1RjSZFOq6y6nFXak.jpg

Jul 5, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #962 of 4,721
So guys I guess I asked this before as well but did not get any response so does k's k600 sounds exactly similar to Beryllium 600 ohm drivers
or is there a difference

I've got the K's K600, which is in a MX500 shell; and the Beryllium (600Ω) driver in a metal shell.
The Beryllium driver is a bit more efficient (louder) than the K600, when switching back-and-forth between them.
It may also have slightly more low Bass (or that could just be that it's a bit louder).
Otherwise, they do sound very similar.

Jul 6, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #963 of 4,721
I also have those diy 400 and 600 ohm, my expectations were too high because of the price, after arriving they sounded good but not spetacular and I was a bit disappointed. I need to try to tune them and see if I can get them closer to my taste.
I tuned the 400 to have a lot more detail, by cutting the paper filter and opening some of the holes in the drivers back. I use the mx500 shell from k64, because the mx500 shell sold with the drivers is different inside and I don't like the sound image, i couldn't locate voice or instruments precisely.
After some days experimenting with the paper and opening the vents, I got a brighter sound, with much more detail, but also a lot of punch, the only trade off is that it can be a bit more tiring to some. After a lot of burnin it's one of my favorites in zishan z2 with acoustic music, voices, bossa nova and jazz.

The 600 version as it arrived is a lot different, warmer, more bass, more difficult to drive. It sounded better in zishan dsd than in z2.
It took a lot of time to tune the 400 ohm to the z2, music type and my personal preference, so I think I'll need to invest some time to try to tune the 600 model.
I want to put the 600 in a mx500 shell with mmcx connectors, but when I did that, I lost the wire venting port and they sound worst.
I went and open the port next to the wire, only to learn I made a very big hole (1mm) and bass was uncontrolled. One side had a smaller hole and sounded good, the othe was just a tiny bigger and bass was uncontrolled there. It's going to be difficult to make same size and tune the right size. I also tried some dampning materials inside without good results.
I closed those holes and start playng with the driver paper venting ports. I didn't had time to finish it and tune to my linking, it's still a work in progress, as I think they are also promissing.
This reflects my personal preferences, music type and my dap, others will get different experience, but it's worth sharing.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #964 of 4,721
I also have those diy 400 and 600 ohm, my expectations were too high because of the price, after arriving they sounded good but not spetacular and I was a bit disappointed. I need to try to tune them and see if I can get them closer to my taste.
I tuned the 400 to have a lot more detail, by cutting the paper filter and opening some of the holes in the drivers back. I use the mx500 shell from k64, because the mx500 shell sold with the drivers is different inside and I don't like the sound image, i couldn't locate voice or instruments precisely.
After some days experimenting with the paper and opening the vents, I got a brighter sound, with much more detail, but also a lot of punch, the only trade off is that it can be a bit more tiring to some. After a lot of burnin it's one of my favorites in zishan z2 with acoustic music, voices, bossa nova and jazz.

The 600 version as it arrived is a lot different, warmer, more bass, more difficult to drive. It sounded better in zishan dsd than in z2.
It took a lot of time to tune the 400 ohm to the z2, music type and my personal preference, so I think I'll need to invest some time to try to tune the 600 model.
I want to put the 600 in a mx500 shell with mmcx connectors, but when I did that, I lost the wire venting port and they sound worst.
I went and open the port next to the wire, only to learn I made a very big hole (1mm) and bass was uncontrolled. One side had a smaller hole and sounded good, the othe was just a tiny bigger and bass was uncontrolled there. It's going to be difficult to make same size and tune the right size. I also tried some dampning materials inside without good results.
I closed those holes and start playng with the driver paper venting ports. I didn't had time to finish it and tune to my linking, it's still a work in progress, as I think they are also promissing.
This reflects my personal preferences, music type and my dap, others will get different experience, but it's worth sharing.
How did you @DBaldock9 tune it

Jul 6, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #965 of 4,721
How did you @DBaldock9 tune it

I haven't done any measuring, to see if the vent in the back of the metal shell that I used, is larger or smaller than the vents in the MX500 shell.
All I can say is - that after installing the unmodified 600Ω Beryllium drivers in the metal shells, I like the way they sound.

Jul 12, 2019 at 7:38 PM Post #967 of 4,721
Hi, I'm looking for a android wire cable for my phillips earbuds. Could anyone recommend one? I'd like one that is 1.5 to 1.8m in length.

I've bought, and cut the 2.5mm plugs off of some of these cables, to solder the wires onto several earbuds.
The controls work well with my LG V30 Android phone.
(NOTE: Removing some of the clear outer sleeving from the wires, so they can be soldered to the drivers, is a bit tricky.)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32834725227.html

Jul 13, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #968 of 4,721
I've bought, and cut the 2.5mm plugs off of some of these cables, to solder the wires onto several earbuds.
The controls work well with my LG V30 Android phone.
(NOTE: Removing some of the clear outer sleeving from the wires, so they can be soldered to the drivers, is a bit tricky.)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32834725227.html

Thanks they look fairly good.

I'm also considering this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33005665484.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.42f16fe11I4Wwu&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10068_319_10059_10884_317_10887_10696_321_322_10084_453_10083_454_10103_10618_10304_10307_10820_10821_537_10302_536,searchweb201603_52,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=03227309-e9e9-4ce1-a826-0508994db058-0&algo_pvid=03227309-e9e9-4ce1-a826-0508994db058
or
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...hash=item2abed5acfc:m:m3IQHiM3lNRdQGOUFYR1hMA

I used the same LG one on my monks in the past. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ven...hat-taking-the-world-by-storm.783669/page-477 .
I quite like the look of the rocker style control on the akg as I just find the rocker style a better design than individual buttons.

Only thing is they are both 1.2m which I find a little on the short side.

Jul 15, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #969 of 4,721
Look what I finally received today :D

1.jpg

I measured them all at 77 ohm (almost 78), which is the right value claimed.
I remarked that it is also real 15mm, so it does not fit 15.4mm classic MX500 shells, but they almost fit Yuin shells with their 14.8mm (I guess I will fix them with some very slight glue)
I will try to do that tonight, as I can't resist how is the sound provided by these drivers!
'laters :)

Jul 15, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #972 of 4,721
Jul 15, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #973 of 4,721
Look what I finally received today :D

I measured them all at 77 ohm (almost 78), which is the right value claimed.
I remarked that it is also real 15mm, so it does not fit 15.4mm classic MX500 shells, but they almost fit Yuin shells with their 14.8mm (I guess I will fix them with some very slight glue)
I will try to do that tonight, as I can't resist how is the sound provided by these drivers!
'laters :)
So, as promised, here are my quick impressions of these drivers.
I tried many shells tips, but unfortunately I don't recommend them at all. They sound dull and veiled overall. While the soundstage is large enough end enjoyable, this is more a mid-centric driver before all. Lacking details, and average bass (almost no subbass). Highs are very softened, so it is good for long period listening.
I decided to remove them and put my still best red film PK1 drivers which are MUCH better in every area. I did some new tuning with new cottons and holes into my yuin shells. They are definitely now my best Yuin mod so far. Will take some pictures soon, I moved from black to white shells recently. They looks very good with their custom copper cable (same cable as Blox YIN/TM9) from Thailand.

Not sure if I understood correctly but do you mean that my quoted above "15.4mm beryllium (130 ohm) drivers" are not interesting? do you have them? do they sound bad?
Thanks for the discover, I will grab a pair of your recommended 15.4 PET film drivers. I stay you tuned :)

Jul 15, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #975 of 4,721
So, as promised, here are my quick impressions of these drivers.
I tried many shells tips, but unfortunately I don't recommend them at all. They sound dull and veiled overall. While the soundstage is large enough end enjoyable, this is more a mid-centric driver before all. Lacking details, and average bass (almost no subbass). Highs are very softened, so it is good for long period listening.
I decided to remove them and put my still best red film PK1 drivers which are MUCH better in every area. I did some new tuning with new cottons and holes into my yuin shells. They are definitely now my best Yuin mod so far. Will take some pictures soon, I moved from black to white shells recently. They looks very good with their custom copper cable (same cable as Blox YIN/TM9) from Thailand.

Not sure if I understood correctly but do you mean that my quoted above "15.4mm beryllium (130 ohm) drivers" are not interesting? do you have them? do they sound bad?
Thanks for the discover, I will grab a pair of your recommended 15.4 PET film drivers. I stay you tuned :)
my experiments will continue, even electronic tinkering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back