1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

DIY Earbuds

First

Back
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
Next

Last
  1. HungryPanda
    I have choices of drivers. Just not decided on which ones yet. A purchase has turned into totally different ones than I first ordered .

2. Jsingh4
    Umm guys it may sound stupid but can we use 2 drivers (dual drivers) on one side to make earbuds.
    Just wanted to know

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  3. seanc6441
    That's what my Rose Mojito is, a dual driver setup.

You need extra circuitry to make a crossover point where one driver cuts out and the other begins. (so one driver acts as the bass, the other as mids and highs).

I don't know the fine details of how it works but I do know it requires some extra knowledge and skill to create.

Jsingh4 likes this.
  4. Jsingh4
    So is three possible too just asking

seanc6441 likes this.
  5. HungryPanda
    Three is overkill but 2 can also be used as a push/pull setup

Jsingh4 likes this.
  6. seanc6441
    What do you mean by push pull? Never heard this phrase in driver tech.

DBaldock9 likes this.
  7. HungryPanda
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
    Rhino73, DBaldock9 and seanc6441 like this.
  8. seanc6441
    And this is a good idea? Seems like the margin for error in design is near zero or you'd have some weird sound issues.

Never thought this would be a thing, I've never seen it in any IEMS/headphones before.

DBaldock9 likes this.
  9. HungryPanda
    You are behind the times young man

Rhino73, seanc6441 and DBaldock9 like this.
  10. DBaldock9
    Isobaric loudspeakers have been around since the 1950s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker
    Back in the '80s, I built a small pair of experimental Isobaric Transmission Line speakers.
    They sounded pretty good, considering the small, inexpensive drivers I was using.

Rhino73 likes this.
  11. seanc6441
    I wonder why we don't see this tech in earbuds more often?

12. Jsingh4
    So Did anyone here made an earbud using 2 drivers at one side.

13. HungryPanda
    Not me

14. Jsingh4
    So guys I guess I asked this before as well but did not get any response so does k's k600 sounds exactly similar to Beryllium 600 ohm drivers
    or is there a difference

15. GREQ
    Instead of creating a new thread for mods, I think it makes most sense to put them here if that's alright with everyone.
    I think it makes sense to keep the 'diy ideas' together.
    So I've got two quite different things to present.

"Vido MDR-EX90LP"
    I put vido drivers into an old counterfeit Sony MDR-EX90LP shell (very old counterfeit with shockingly good outer build quality)
    Required double foaming for fit, which also adds a lot to sound tuning.

Sound is very warm, yet retains most of the detail in the mids.
    Sub bass and treble are both rolled off. Lends itself to very relaxed, low fatigue listening.
    20190704_071826.jpg Vido MDR-EX90LP.png

"Vido open-vent mod"
    Simple opening of the infamous 'closed vent'.
    I used a rotary tool with a small round engraving bit to open it from the inside.
    Sound is much fuller/.thicker, and bass slams harder.
    It's the bassiest bud I've heard yet, and honestly this is exactly what I was hoping the mod would achieve.
    I think Kube v2 might be bassier, but IMO also has a very overbearing lower-midrange, which isn't V-shaped, more like it's just missing upper mids and treble... depends how you see it.
    There is a slight overbearing quality to the upper bass, and some might describe it as getting boomy or slightly mushy, but overall it's quite good fun!
    Separation between bass and mids is still very good, with little bleed into the mids.
    20190704_194739.jpg

Red Vido ventmod.png mod vs original.png

nick n and Rhino73 like this.
First

Back
54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73
Next

Last