DIY Earbuds
Jun 29, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #948 of 4,721
Umm guys it may sound stupid but can we use 2 drivers (dual drivers) on one side to make earbuds.
Just wanted to know
That's what my Rose Mojito is, a dual driver setup.

You need extra circuitry to make a crossover point where one driver cuts out and the other begins. (so one driver acts as the bass, the other as mids and highs).

I don't know the fine details of how it works but I do know it requires some extra knowledge and skill to create.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #952 of 4,721
Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #953 of 4,721
Jun 29, 2019 at 5:55 PM Post #955 of 4,721
Isobaric loudspeakers have been around since the 1950s - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isobaric_loudspeaker
Back in the '80s, I built a small pair of experimental Isobaric Transmission Line speakers.
They sounded pretty good, considering the small, inexpensive drivers I was using.

Jul 4, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #960 of 4,721
Instead of creating a new thread for mods, I think it makes most sense to put them here if that's alright with everyone.
I think it makes sense to keep the 'diy ideas' together.
So I've got two quite different things to present.

"Vido MDR-EX90LP"
I put vido drivers into an old counterfeit Sony MDR-EX90LP shell (very old counterfeit with shockingly good outer build quality)
Required double foaming for fit, which also adds a lot to sound tuning.

Sound is very warm, yet retains most of the detail in the mids.
Sub bass and treble are both rolled off. Lends itself to very relaxed, low fatigue listening.
20190704_071826.jpg Vido MDR-EX90LP.png

"Vido open-vent mod"
Simple opening of the infamous 'closed vent'.
I used a rotary tool with a small round engraving bit to open it from the inside.
Sound is much fuller/.thicker, and bass slams harder.
It's the bassiest bud I've heard yet, and honestly this is exactly what I was hoping the mod would achieve.
I think Kube v2 might be bassier, but IMO also has a very overbearing lower-midrange, which isn't V-shaped, more like it's just missing upper mids and treble... depends how you see it.
There is a slight overbearing quality to the upper bass, and some might describe it as getting boomy or slightly mushy, but overall it's quite good fun!
Separation between bass and mids is still very good, with little bleed into the mids.
20190704_194739.jpg

Red Vido ventmod.png mod vs original.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back