DIY Earbuds
Aug 26, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #706 of 4,718
Does those shoe horse tuning foam actually have different densities at all? People say tune all the time on FB pages but does it really?

I ordered some white foam said to be used with common earbud driver. It does change the sound of my ty32. But it's obvious because different color and material from normal foams that pre-applied.

Anybody experiment with more seller on Aliexpress?

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #707 of 4,718
Does those shoe horse tuning foam actually have different densities at all? People say tune all the time on FB pages but does it really?

I ordered some white foam said to be used with common earbud driver. It does change the sound of my ty32. But it's obvious because different color and material from normal foams that pre-applied.

Anybody experiment with more seller on Aliexpress?
Yes there are different thickness and density and yes they drastically change the sound presentation in different ways.

The foam on my shozy bk has deteriorated and thus I started modding it, currently going with some cloth + paper filter and very sparse tunning cotton to fill the cavity to increase the soundstage. Excellent results so far removing all the low mid bloat making them sound more neutral and with a more spacious airy soundstage.

15353114479635568136649025100383.jpg

Yes I was worried to mod the BK but at the end if the day curiousity got to me. It's easily reversable if i buy new tuning foam of standard density.

15353116213668375085726798455959.jpg

Easy to spot :p

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #708 of 4,718
Yes there are different thickness and density and yes they drastically change the sound presentation in different ways.

The foam on my shozy bk has deteriorated and thus I started modding it, currently going with some cloth + paper filter and very sparse tunning cotton to fill the cavity to increase the soundstage. Excellent results so far removing all the low mid bloat making them sound more neutral and with a more spacious airy soundstage.

Yes I was worried to mod the BK but at the end if the day curiousity got to me. It's easily reversable if i buy new tuning foam of standard density.

Some stores on AliExpress call it tuning cotton as well.

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #709 of 4,718

Sean, i believe you're looking for these;

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...ml?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.3.64063ebca6QMQC

but needs confirmation if they are adhesive or not..

Aug 26, 2018 at 5:27 PM Post #710 of 4,718
Aug 27, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #711 of 4,718
Truely open back will be difficult as most earbuds are tuned to work with a semi open back design.

That's my favorite shell design of all I've used. It's similar in size to a PK shell, very comfortable and has a good cavity size. Also I feel that fully open or mostly open front grilles are superior to that of the mx500 which only vents around the edge. I feel the metal grilles that open the sides and the middle for example give a more balanced sound positioning and respond better to foam changes.

Thanks a lot, do you have any link or info of that shell? I like it more over the yuin pk2 shell. And any driver I could attach to it that you recommend?

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #713 of 4,718
Some people use a concentrated (focused) hot air gun - but you need to be careful not to get the plastic diaphragm of the drivers too hot.

Aug 27, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #714 of 4,718
Some people use a concentrated (focused) hot air gun - but you need to be careful not to get the plastic diaphragm of the drivers too hot.
Yes I think that method may be too risky...I tried using rubbing alcohol on a cheaper pair - with no joy. Been watching a You Tube video where n-hexane is used as a solvent to open the shells - however, apparently it's uber strong! So great care is needed when applying, in order to avoid dissolving the glue that attaches the membrane to the coil anchor.....

Aug 27, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #715 of 4,718
Oh nice didn't realise you could do it yourself, ill take 5 pairs!

I'll be trying the new 16ohm SR driver recommend by jogawag in it, i have a spare cygnus driver which ill try too.

Thx mate!

Actually before you pull the trigger let me quickly search something on taobao i was interested in that you can include in the order (back vent foam filters).

Much appreciated. Definitely gonna try these out :)

They dont ship out of china sadly :/ but I will try to think of a solution

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #716 of 4,718
Anyone with any tips regarding opening glued earbud housings? (with minimum damage obvs!)
I used the "bladed" section of my wire strippers to pry out the drivers. Will scratch the plastic driver covers if you're not careful. If you're not careful with a heat gun you'll risk warping the plastic of the earbud shell, damaging or making it uncomfortable to wear. Front covers are extremely difficult to replace once it's warped.

Aug 27, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #718 of 4,718
I used the "bladed" section of my wire strippers to pry out the drivers. Will scratch the plastic driver covers if you're not careful. If you're not careful with a heat gun you'll risk warping the plastic of the earbud shell, damaging or making it uncomfortable to wear. Front covers are extremely difficult to replace once it's warped.
Thanks, I think I'll put the upgrade on hold for now (until I can find a way to avoid damage) - as the buds I was considering re-cabling are my cherished CampFred 1's!:)

Aug 28, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #719 of 4,718
Thanks a lot, do you have any link or info of that shell? I like it more over the yuin pk2 shell. And any driver I could attach to it that you recommend?
Sadly it's not pk drivers. I think it's for 14.5mm driver its my K's Ling earbud. If you want shell's for 14.8mm pk drivers type then the link Golov posted above is the one you want. It's the same design as the Moondrop Liebesleid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back