DIY Earbuds
May 1, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #676 of 4,718
Anyone know of a shell that could be used for something as thing / flat as this?

pia01RG.jpg

x51GknV.jpg

Jun 21, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #679 of 4,718
One heck of a mod, which can make IEM a monstrous thing.

You need a MU metal tape

Open your earbud....tape everything with this tape but keep all the vents open at the back..

Open up the front plastic part which cover the diaphragm and tape the inside and poke holes for audio to pass through.

You have shielded all the magnetic force for the earbud and this will increase total flux acting toward the coil....

Increasing sensitivity and bass response...

VE monk turned into Zen without ohm increase(lol, I did not do that..)

But theoretically you can turn your earbud more sensitive to signal and better tuned....with the annoying repulsive force gone...

It also dampens the harmful magnetic waves also..
Try it..

I am also going to try on VE monk +

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #680 of 4,718
One heck of a mod, which can make IEM a monstrous thing.

You need a MU metal tape

Open your earbud....tape everything with this tape but keep all the vents open at the back..

Open up the front plastic part which cover the diaphragm and tape the inside and poke holes for audio to pass through.

You have shielded all the magnetic force for the earbud and this will increase total flux acting toward the coil....

Increasing sensitivity and bass response...

VE monk turned into Zen without ohm increase(lol, I did not do that..)

But theoretically you can turn your earbud more sensitive to signal and better tuned....with the annoying repulsive force gone...

It also dampens the harmful magnetic waves also..
Try it..

I am also going to try on VE monk +
But...does it work? Let us know, show us some pics please. I'll give it whirl, just for kicks.

Jun 28, 2018 at 2:20 PM Post #681 of 4,718
Anybody ordered 300 ohms driver? I want to try make cheap 300 ohms and experiment. Seems that 300 ohms are quite generic but widely used.

Jun 28, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #682 of 4,718
Anybody ordered 300 ohms driver? I want to try make cheap 300 ohms and experiment. Seems that 300 ohms are quite generic but widely used.
I ordered two different types from a seller on taobao. One sounds neutral/bright, the other is warm. Have not gotten any recent mainstream popular earbuds such as the willsounds, emx500 or the dozens of FAAEL's out there, but i do have the vido's, graphenes and a butt load of other diy drivers to compare them to.

Edit: The warmer 300ohm pair is my current daily driver. They're the ones with the white front cover.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 12:43 AM Post #683 of 4,718
Bro. How much did you pay for those? I look into AE last right and the price for 300 ohm quite high. Even more than few ready made earbud like k's 300

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #685 of 4,718
Hello guys! I was seeing on Aliexpress which has a diy pk1 earbud models for a very low price. You recommend buying these diy models, the price of them is very low, but I am left with the doubt if they are really original
Sorry for my bad English kkkk

Jun 29, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #686 of 4,718
Hello guys! I was seeing on Aliexpress which has a diy pk1 earbud models for a very low price. You recommend buying these diy models, the price of them is very low, but I am left with the doubt if they are really original
Sorry for my bad English kkkk
They are not original. Can't comment on the sound though, I do not own any, except for a few 14.8mm drivers,

Jul 9, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #688 of 4,718
Considering one of these cables;

4 cores
6 cores
8 cores

Would anyone know how many of these "cores" can comfortably enter mx500 shell? I feel 8 is too much... :triportsad:

As far as I can see 4 cores must mean 1 wire up/1return per side, 8 cores 2up/2return per side, and 6 is maybe 2up/1return per side

Jul 14, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #689 of 4,718
@knudsen
Idk about what they mean by core but I believe all of them will fit nicely into mx500 shell . I believe the core are the wire inside the cable sheath. Someone should correct me if I'm wrong

@Niqeres could you help me with link to the driver you bought . I only found the pricier ones .

Aug 7, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #690 of 4,718
I've been on the lookout for bulk Copper Litz cable.
Found a shop on eBay, that has a lot of different configurations (# strands / AWG) - but they're mainly marketing it for making High Q Coils for Amateur Radio & Crystal Radio.

I believe that this particular cable is small enough (0.66mm OD), that 4 strands would fit into an earbud shell, allowing for an 8-strand braided cable to be assembled - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Litz-Wire-...Q-Coil-for-Amateur-Crystal-Radio/152965779451

Users who are viewing this thread

Back