DIY Earbuds
Apr 4, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #648 of 4,721
For soft cable, I ever asked Rholupat, he said he could sell his VJC custom cable which is very low microphonics and soft flexibility (from what he said), or you might look at DIY TOXIC cable.

For Edifier H180, there are no H180 shell or driver sold as DIY parts. You need to buy a new one for it. You could find many sellers in Aliexpress. If you are interested H180 Modded version, Rholupat 'BEJO' might be your choice.

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:25 AM Post #649 of 4,721
Subscribed to this thread.

Been passively researching about how to DIY earbuds and stuff. I have a bit of experience in soldering and generally tinkering around with tiny speakers a while back. I'm more interested in the tuning of DIY earbud speaker units. Is there an ultimate guide somewhere or is this a trade secret? =)

I'm hoping to learn more in this thread. Also, currently back reading posts. :thinking:

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #650 of 4,721
My suggestion for the DIY starter is to play on re-solder with many soldering wire brands first. Try with cheap-price earbuds and figure out whether you hear SQ difference or not.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #651 of 4,721
Any idea where I can find Edifier H180 shells and drivers for DIY mod. Thanks!
They’re retailing at £7.99 on Amazon in UK or AliExpress store

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #652 of 4,721
My suggestion for the DIY starter is to play on re-solder with many soldering wire brands first. Try with cheap-price earbuds and figure out whether you hear SQ difference or not.

Yep, exactly what I had in mind. Ordered a couple of Vidos and EMX500s. I'll try to tinker on them as soon as they get on my doorsteps.

Any idea/suggestions on how to retune the speaker driver units?

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #653 of 4,721
Buy Soldering wire as many brand as possible. Mundorf Supreme SilverGold, Viablue, Oyaide, Wonder, Cardass, etc. Another retuning is changing damping filter.

Apr 4, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #654 of 4,721
Buy Soldering wire as many brand as possible. Mundorf Supreme SilverGold, Viablue, Oyaide, Wonder, Cardass, etc. Another retuning is changing damping filter.

Oh okay, wow I didn't know soldering wire would make a difference. I'll start researching on those brands.

Yes, I'll order some damping filters and try to experiment on those also. I've seen different kinds of damping filters, some like horse shoe shape, some are tiny circles to put on speaker holes and cotton. How will these different kinds of damping filters affect the sound?

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #655 of 4,721
Sorry, I have not much experience on damping filter. I ever buy metal filter to repair my Kinera Buds. Normally the thicker filter the more bass quantity.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #656 of 4,721
I have a question (since this all about DIY)...there are a lot of earbud makers coming out of Indonesia and the like. What drivers are they sourcing for their bud builds? I can’t imagine that they are thumbing through Ali and trying out all those untested options (like us HaHa). Do you think they are cannibalizing other earbuds and retuning them to their own shells? It seems the most logical answer to me, but it wouldn’t know. I don’t think that’s necessarily wrong or anything.

Apr 5, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #657 of 4,721
In my country, there are some DIY earbuds that are self-assembly by hand. For instance, Boutiquebuds and the another notable one called 'Miracle' earbuds. In indonesia, I guess Eli Audio might make OEM custom-order from the factory somewhere. Equinox in Rholupat is quite mystery and interesting. Any DIY earbuds maker who never give any info about how they make or source their drivers, I guess they just get instant drivers from Aliexpress, Taobao, etc.

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #658 of 4,721
In my country, there are some DIY earbuds that are self-assembly by hand. For instance, Boutiquebuds and the another notable one called 'Miracle' earbuds. In indonesia, I guess Eli Audio might make OEM custom-order from the factory somewhere. Equinox in Rholupat is quite mystery and interesting. Any DIY earbuds maker who never give any info about how they make or source their drivers, I guess they just get instant drivers from Aliexpress, Taobao, etc.
If builders are sourcing drivers from Ali, the question becomes, of course, which ones?

Apr 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #659 of 4,721
That's why they have never provided info cause this is their business secret otherwise many people will go to buy the same instant driver.

Apr 5, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #660 of 4,721
There are some that's really trying to redesign earbuds like Ryo of Uairekko Custom Earbuds. I wonder how this sounds. I looks like it has 2 drivers stacked into one housing. Much like the Rose Masya or Mojito design with awesome custom artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back