DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 19, 2019 at 12:57 PM Post #9,436 of 10,535
It depends what you are after, the Silver cotton that you are looking at is still copper but it is 6N occ which has been silver plated so it's not that expensive as opposed to the Neotech
silver which is very expensive even compared to other pure Silver wires, for an 8 core cable with the Silver cotton you would be looking at less than £110 for a 6ft cable, you should
probably go for 7ft per length, 7x8 = 56 x £1.90 =£106.40, not bad really as they are very nice headphones.

Dec 20, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #9,437 of 10,535
So I'm looking to make a cheap cable for my lz a4 since the previous cable is tapping out, and I'm interested in learning how to solder and make cables. I'm not looking to make a better than decent cable, and I don't want to waste money, since I'm probably going to screw it up.
Cheap connectors seem to be easy to find but not cheap cables.
I've been looking a lot in this thread but all your suggestions to others are very high end cables.
Anyone knows a cheap acceptable easily soldable cable that would be good for an iem?
Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #9,439 of 10,535
PortaPlug 3_5.jpg
I bought three pairs of this cheap 3.5mm braided cable to use with my porta pros. The cable is very soft and nice even in cold weather. It is stiff torsion wise so does not like to get spun around more than one or two revolutions before staring to twirl on itself.

Now to the case:
The first two cables broke in the plug. I thought nothing of it since I had backups. This third cable started to crackle yesterday and today the connection is so bad it's unusable and now I have no more back up.
Living in a remote area, no stores that sell plugs means that I am facing the holidays with only a pair of freebie scandinavian airlines earbuds. Unless there is a way to repair this little thing. I can't seem to figure out how to open it. Might be glued? Afraid I'm going to totally destroy it trying.
If you recognize this type of plug and have a procedure to salvage it, please let me know how you do it.

Happy holidays to you all. May santa bring you next level fidelity!

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #9,440 of 10,535
It's just a 3.5mm stereo trs jack, if it's glued you not open it without doing more damage chop it off and buy a new one from cosmic cables, they have some cheap ones, let me know
if you do and I'll let you know how to solder it.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #9,442 of 10,535
It's just a 3.5mm stereo trs jack, if it's glued you not open it without doing more damage chop it off and buy a new one from cosmic cables, they have some cheap ones, let me know
if you do and I'll let you know how to solder it.
''''''''''
Those look good! I will have to wait a good while before they drop in the mailbox but I'm placing an order right now. Any suggestion on a good cable? That is soft an pliable?

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #9,443 of 10,535
The plug looks like if it could be unscrewed, probably with some force.
It is not uncommon to use hot glue, you can try heating the plug to see if that causes it to come loose. Additional heat can cause the glue to drip away to allow resoldering.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #9,445 of 10,535
''''''''''
Those look good! I will have to wait a good while before they drop in the mailbox but I'm placing an order right now. Any suggestion on a good cable? That is soft an pliable?
Do mean their cables or their wire, I think all of their stuff is soft and pliable and good quality, I have used some of their wire and even bought a cable from the planet collection
and it is very good in all departments.

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #9,446 of 10,535
Do mean their cables or their wire, I think all of their stuff is soft and pliable and good quality, I have used some of their wire and even bought a cable from the planet collection
and it is very good in all departments.
Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not sure that my nomenclature is right. My understanding is that a "wire" is just that: One wire.
And by saying "Cable", one is referring to an array of wires, commonly used in a sleeve of some sort. Is that right?

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:06 PM Post #9,447 of 10,535
Sorry if I was unclear. I'm not sure that my nomenclature is right. My understanding is that a "wire" is just that: One wire.
And by saying "Cable", one is referring to an array of wires, commonly used in a sleeve of some sort. Is that right?

A cable is generally two or more wires with jacket, a single wire can have insulation or not and can be solid or stranded. Solid wire breaks more easily with repeated bending.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #9,448 of 10,535
PortaPlug 3_5 disass.jpg
A cable is generally two or more wires with jacket, a single wire can have insulation or not and can be solid or stranded. Solid wire breaks more easily with repeated bending.
Thanks, that was exactly what I was thinking. So I am looking for a cable with three wires that is somewhat pliable, even when cold.

Managed to get the plug disassembled by heating it up with a lighter and using two pliers. Needed to use a bit of force for it to come loose. I used some paper to protect the plug but unfortunately got some nicks there. Doesn't matter much since I doubt I can resolder anything in this glue blob :)

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #9,449 of 10,535

Thanks, that was exactly what I was thinking. So I am looking for a cable with three wires that is somewhat pliable, even when cold.

Managed to get the plug disassembled by heating it up with a lighter and using two pliers. Needed to use a bit of force for it to come loose. I used some paper to protect the plug but unfortunately got some nicks there. Doesn't matter much since I doubt I can resolder anything in this glue blob :)

yeah that appears to be some kind of potting material, it may not melt easily. PVC jackets are a little less pliable. I would look for a miniature, high flex microphone cable myself.

Dec 22, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #9,450 of 10,535
yeah that appears to be some kind of potting material, it may not melt easily. PVC jackets are a little less pliable. I would look for a miniature, high flex microphone cable myself.

Looking for that I am. It's a bit of a needle in a haystack. I'll read on the forum. I'm sure someone has some links to specific cables that are good for this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back