DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 23, 2019 at 11:27 AM Post #9,301 of 10,535
Any suggestions for a under 10$ L-shape 3.5mm cable with a mic thats on aliexpress?

Oct 23, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #9,302 of 10,535
Anyone here have any idea on how to reterminate a 2.5mm TRRS female to 3.5mm TRS male? It's an 8-core adapter and I'm trying switch the 3.5mm TRS end to a 3.5mm TRRS plug (I'm pretty sure it needs to be wired Astell and Kern pinout). I have a good working multimeter, but the biggest issue for me is that every wire is the same color (silver-plated wire), and it looks like the replacement 3.5mm TRRS plug I purchased has the ground on the backside of the other 3 rings; never seen one like this before.

When I check it with a multimeter, I'm getting 2 L positive, 2 right positive, 2 ground positive, and 2 sleeve positive. Is this right? Should I go ahead and attach 2 of each to their corresponding rings / spots? I still haven't been able to find the Astell and Kern pinout for the part of the plug where I'll be soldering to. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the delay in replying to you on this, Slater! I ended up putting the adapter and soldering iron up for a while, because frustration lol. And now I've apparently decided to give it another go. As far as I know, it needs to be the A&K pin arrangement? It will be used with the Nano Black Label however; I may be wrong. I can figure out what's what with my multimeter, but I'm not sure about the ground and the sleeve wires. I purchased a 2.5mm TRRS balun thinking it might help some.
the 2.5mm TRRS balun will be a great help in your case, to distinguish the cores.

ifi nano black uses 3.5mm TRS/TRRS sockets. due to this dual option, the pins are probably L+, R+, L-, R- (TRRS).
your 2.5mm TRRS socket is probably R-, R+, R-, L- (TRRS), most standard type.
balun 2.5mm TRRS is labeled L,R,V,Gnd (TRRS).

to identify the signals carried by each wire, plug the balun into the 2.5mm TRRS socket of your adapter. with the multimeter, one lead into a balun contact, the other touching a wire:
balun V label is ring2, so L+ signal. locate the 2 matching wires. they have to be soldered to tip of 3.5mm TRRS plug, which is the last tiny contact, far from the jack (L+).
balun R label is ring1, so R+ signal. locate the 2 matching wires. they have to be soldered to ring1 of 3.5mm TRRS plug, which is the middle contact (R+).
balun Gnd label is sleeve, so L- signal. locate the 2 matching wires. they have to be soldered to ring2 of 3.5mm TRRS plug, which is the first contact, nearest to the jack (L-).
balun L label is tip, so R- signal. locate the 2 matching wires. they have to be soldered to sleeve of 3.5mm TRRS plug (R-).

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:14 AM Post #9,303 of 10,535
Does anyone have an ebay source for Sennheiser HD600 connectors? There was a white pair posted a while back, but those appear to be out of stock. There are a lot but not sure of quality. Not sure I want to buy the sennheiser cable and steal those plugs. If I do go that route, would you leave a strand of wire soldered and connect it to the new cable, or would complete desoldering be required?

Oct 24, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #9,305 of 10,535
https://www.cosmic-cables.co.uk/product-page/furutech-ft-2ps-hd6xx-series

Message Ian, he probably has some cheaper ones that are not showing on the site

@imas69 sorry i've been meaning to thank you for a while for putting me on to cosmic. I've bought quite a bit of neotech cable and various connectors from them and Ian has been fantastic, first off they're cheaper which is always good and the postage is always super quick but the customer service in terms of advice on build techniques and products is 2nd to none, so thanks again and i can highly recommend them to anyone else how needs DIY bits in UK and europe :)

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:14 AM Post #9,306 of 10,535
Oct 24, 2019 at 8:55 AM Post #9,307 of 10,535
Thank you! I'll ask him. Prices seem fair, and nice to know customer service is from an individual rather than company. I am in the US, so will need to see with shipping.

i dont want to do Cosmic out of any business, but if you're in the US, have you tried Norne, Double helix of plussound? they all sell connectors at about the same price :)

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #9,308 of 10,535
Hi all, I want to mod my TH X00 using SMC 2963 connector as pictured below.

I want to know if there are adapters readily available to convert this to a 3.5mm female so I can use with some of my existing cables? Or if there is a guide on how to create a short adapter/cable myself?

large_1475_SMC-2963.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #9,310 of 10,535
@teknorob23, not a problem at all, I have used them a few times and found the service to be great, which is why I plug them when I get a chance, I hadn't seen that you were in the USA noverbeck, apologies, if I were you I would
go to Trevor at Norne audio and steer well clear of double helix.
many thanks, I'll check in with Trevor or Plussound

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #9,312 of 10,535

Users who are viewing this thread

Back