DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 24, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #4,321 of 10,535
Hi - first post, pretty ignorant so apologies.

I have a pair of audio technica ATH-ES7s. I've been really happy with them. Then the right can stopped working.

I've opened up both cans, on the right side I connected a 3.5mm jack from an audio source onto the driver connects - sound comes back.

Conclusion: rhs wire is broken somewhere along the length of the cable.

The cable has 3 wires -  green / red / copper as left/right/ground respectively.

The driver end looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/XO1GCD7.jpg

Not an amazing pic - two wires are red and copper on the right can. I assume the copper splits as the ground and the other can has green and copper.

Ok onto the question - I figured this was an opportunity to improve my ES7s. I came up with 2 ideas:

1. replace the cable with a better one - where to buy a male split cable of good quality? Don't want to make my own

2. put jacks into the cans and have a detachable cable. I can see two challenges with this, first is getting a small enough jack into each can, second is getting a male to male split cable to plug into it. Does anyone know if such jacks hardware exists and if such cabling exists off the shelf?

Apologies for what are likely basic questions and if I've missed out information please tell me.

Oct 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #4,323 of 10,535
Hey guys, I made a new cable for my HD600s a few months back but the connector to one of the cardas connectors has come loose. I'm looking for a better way of adding in some strain relief than just heat shrink. I was looking through some old threads and saw a discussion on using a hot glue gun or even epoxy to seal the cable into the connector after soldering. Is this a good idea? any drawback other than the fact that it would be permanent! Any other good ideas?

Thanks for your help!

Oct 25, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #4,324 of 10,535
  Hey guys, I made a new cable for my HD600s a few months back but the connector to one of the cardas connectors has come loose. I'm looking for a better way of adding in some strain relief than just heat shrink. I was looking through some old threads and saw a discussion on using a hot glue gun or even epoxy to seal the cable into the connector after soldering. Is this a good idea? any drawback other than the fact that it would be permanent! Any other good ideas?

Thanks for your help!

I use hot glue as it is not permanent as epoxy would be. If a cable goes bad you can dig it out if you need to.

Oct 25, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4,325 of 10,535
Hi

I have a pair of audio technica ES7 broken right can cable somewhere along the cable. I can connect straight into the solder points on the driver and get output.

ES7 aren't big cans. Any comments on:

1. simply getting a replacement cable  like this: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5102. Any comments on quality / supplier?

2. putting jacks into the cans to allow for detachable cables

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #4,326 of 10,535
  Hi

I have a pair of audio technica ES7 broken right can cable somewhere along the cable. I can connect straight into the solder points on the driver and get output.

1. simply getting a replacement cable  like this: http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5102. Any comments on quality / supplier?

Your choice really, but either way you will have to open up the cans and desolder the joint.
I have modded my ESW9 to take in a mmcx jack, hop onto the ESW9 thread to see what's been happening

Oct 26, 2015 at 5:30 PM Post #4,327 of 10,535
  Hi

Can't comment on quality or supplier. What I will say it will be hard to buy the items yourself and build it much cheaper than that.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #4,330 of 10,535
What awg do you guys recommend for interconnects, like RCAs? I have leftover mogami w2534; would those conductors be up for the task? Also, do they need to be shielded?

Thanks!

18 to 26 is pretty typical. For general interconnects, 24 is a good size. Mogami w2534 will work just fine. You don't need to shield interconnects, but it can be helpful to reduce noise in areas with high RFI. 

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4,331 of 10,535
Greetings,

I'll admit, I'm a newb at this, but I'll be converting a YUIN PK1 into PONO balanced configuration and want to be sure that it'll be wired correctly.  From the PONO tech document as I understand it, is just a matter of soldering each channel pair wiring [(R/G)(L/G)] to just the tip and ring on the stereo connectors? So in summary, for the right channel, I would solder the red wire to the tip and the copper wire to the ring, and do the same for the left channel?

You're response/clarification/correction is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #4,332 of 10,535
  Greetings,

I'll admit, I'm a newb at this, but I'll be converting a YUIN PK1 into PONO balanced configuration and want to be sure that it'll be wired correctly.  From the PONO tech document as I understand it, is just a matter of soldering each channel pair wiring [(R/G)(L/G)] to just the tip and ring on the stereo connectors? So in summary, for the right channel, I would solder the red wire to the tip and the copper wire to the ring, and do the same for the left channel?

You're response/clarification/correction is greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

That's the way it looks like to me. From the pictures of the ear buds it looks like to have separate cables going to the plug so that should make it easy. Do you already have the cable cut to know that the wire is red?

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #4,333 of 10,535
Not yet.  I will in about a week as I"m still waiting for the PK1 delivery.  This weekend, I'll perform the operation on a much cheaper but worthy specimen, the Denon AH-C700 (a giant killer, IMO, since I paid $25 for it, took out the nozzle filters, and slapped on a set of Comply T400 tips), which also has separate channel cables from end to end..

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:19 PM Post #4,334 of 10,535
  Not yet.  I will in about a week as I"m still waiting for the PK1 delivery.  This weekend, I'll perform the operation on a much cheaper but worthy specimen, the Denon AH-C700 (a giant killer, IMO, since I paid $25 for it, took out the nozzle filters, and slapped on a set of Comply T400 tips), which also has separate channel cables from end to end..

As long as you have cables with separate sides it should be easy to get it right as long as you can tell which is the pos and neg of the side. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back