DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 8, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #4,292 of 10,535
I have never done this for headphone cabling; however, I feel like it shouldn't be any different. When sleeving a lot of wire that is a tight fit in the sleeving material, I would get a length of wire that easily slides through the sleeving material and solder that wire to the larger wire. All that would be left to do is push the small wire through the sleeving material and then pull the larger wire through using the smaller wire from the other end. YMMV, but it has worked for me in the past.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #4,293 of 10,535
  Im very frustrated, i'm trying to fish BTG wire through 275 paracord and I keep getting stuck at the 1/3 point (6 feet), I don't know what to do. I've been going at it for 2 hours now. any tips?

Are you just trying to push it thru? If so try inch worming it thru. I take it your using the 26 awg wire and I have put Mogami 26 awg wire in 275 with a little work .

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #4,295 of 10,535
You want to hold the the wire through the paracord a little back from the end of the wire then bunch up the paracord over the the end of the wire then pinch the end of the wire and pull the bunch over the trailing part of wire. Once you get the hang of it it will go pretty quick.

Oct 8, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #4,296 of 10,535
Yeah I've been pushing it through. How do you inch it through?

think inchworm, or like when you lose the drawstring on your sweats, push and pull a 1/2" or so at a time

I have never done this for headphone cabling; however, I feel like it shouldn't be any different. When sleeving a lot of wire that is a tight fit in the sleeving material, I would get a length of wire that easily slides through the sleeving material and solder that wire to the larger wire. All that would be left to do is push the small wire through the sleeving material and then pull the larger wire through using the smaller wire from the other end. YMMV, but it has worked for me in the past.

this works best with teflon insulated wire keep solder joint very straight, use very little solder and sand it smooth with an emery board
so it doesn't hang, be patient you'll end up with an awesome cable i really like the mogami 26 awg, 275 paracord combo

Oct 8, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #4,297 of 10,535
Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble repairing my AIAIAI Tracks headphones cable here. It's got mic and volume control, makes it harder to figure out which wire goes where (and the colour-coded wire is on different colour than the one in Apple's Earpod). Is there anyone here with knowledge of repairing TRRS jacks?

Anyway, here are the colours of the wires:
Red - Copper (twist)
Blue
Green
Copper with Film-Protected Red Wire inside
Green - Copper (twist)

Any help would be appreciated, cheers!

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #4,298 of 10,535
How do I go about making a cable like this for a 3.5mm detachable cable AKG k553? I was under the impression that you can't go single ended to balanced? I'd like it to be RSA terminated.

Oct 9, 2015 at 3:58 AM Post #4,299 of 10,535
How do I go about making a cable like this for a 3.5mm detachable cable AKG k553? I was under the impression that you can't go single ended to balanced? I'd like it to be RSA terminated.

You'd have to use a TRRS 3.5mm female inside the headphones to support 4-pole 3.5mm connectors, and then use RSA on the other end of the cable. You have to use 4 wires.

Oct 9, 2015 at 4:10 AM Post #4,300 of 10,535
You'd have to use a TRRS 3.5mm female inside the headphones to support 4-pole 3.5mm connectors, and then use RSA on the other end of the cable. You have to use 4 wires.

Thanks for the reply. Assuming the seller I bought my headphones from used this guide,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764773/how-to-akg-k553-pro-detachable-cable-mod-and-for-k550-and-k551-lot-of-images

The second page says that it's already done as TRRS which doesn't require you to open one side. Does this mean I just need the 4 pole TRRS to RSA cable or am I still not off the hook?

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:05 AM Post #4,301 of 10,535

Thanks for the reply. Assuming the seller I bought my headphones from used this guide,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/764773/how-to-akg-k553-pro-detachable-cable-mod-and-for-k550-and-k551-lot-of-images

The second page says that it's already done as TRRS which doesn't require you to open one side. Does this mean I just need the 4 pole TRRS to RSA cable or am I still not off the hook?

If he used TRRS on one side you should be set as long as it's wired properly. Make sure to connect a 3.5mm TRRS male into the headphones without any wires connected to it and then use a multimeter to make sure you connect the right signal to the right ground on the RSA end, basically just double-check his wiring.

Oct 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #4,302 of 10,535

There is no problem listening to single ended from a balanced output. So you can make the cables by connecting the balanced neg together. With the RSA termination.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:25 PM Post #4,303 of 10,535

There is no problem listening to single ended from a balanced output. So you can make the cables by connecting the balanced neg together. With the RSA termination.

Actually, I think it can be harmful to the source that the balanced output is part of in some cases. It isn't harmful to use a balanced cable with a single ended adapter with a single ended source, it ISN'T a good idea to use a single ended headphone with a balanced source.

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #4,304 of 10,535
  Actually, I think it can be harmful to the source that the balanced output is part of in some cases. It isn't harmful to use a balanced cable with a single ended adapter with a single ended source, it ISN'T a good idea to use a single ended headphone with a balanced source.

Where do you get your information from ? I haven't tried it but everything I read is that it is OK but I might be wrong. 

Oct 9, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #4,305 of 10,535

Where do you get your information from ? I haven't tried it but everything I read is that it is OK but I might be wrong. 

I've just seen things mentioned multiple times about damage occurring being possible, like in the link below.

https://lhlabs.freshdesk.com/facebook/support/solutions/articles/5000634421-geek-out-v2-user-manual-

"Single Ended And Balanced Outputs

Geek Out V2 features two audio outputs. A 1/8”/3.5mm single-ended (TRS) output, as well as a 1/8”/3.5mm balanced (TRRS) output.

The Single-Ended Output is indicated with a "SE" mark above the headphone jack. A "BAL" for Balanced output is indicated above the jack that is directly under the USB port. It is not recommended to use a Single-ended (TRS) 3.5mm jack for the balanced output and will not be covered under warranty if damage occurs. By incorporating a TRRS to XLR cable, the Geek Out V2 can be connected to a home stereo system in full balanced mode.

V2 Pin-out Diagram:

V2%20pinout%20diagram.jpg

"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back