DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 1, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #4,351 of 10,535
  I'll be sure to post again once I've given a crack at it. I've also got to pick up a few things before I make an attempt, need to grab a wire stripped for 26 AWG wire, and still waiting on my 3.5mm plug to arrive. I settled on eidolic for both the plug and the MMCX connectors.

These are the ones I got:

I looked at those but I could not confirm they would fit on my 1540 (they have the connection recessed about 3/8"), so I got these:

Norne_Audio_Shure_1440_1840_connector_diy-420x420.png

I have an OK soldering iron, performs well enough, just hell finding tips that I know will work so I've determined to get a Hakko so that I know I can get tips. Just need to convince SWMBO. It's not like I don't use my soldering stuff all the time. Heck I saved us and a neighbor a new TV when the caps when out, repaired for $15 for each.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #4,352 of 10,535

I looked at those but I could not confirm they would fit on my 1540 (they have the connection recessed about 3/8"), so I got these:

Norne_Audio_Shure_1440_1840_connector_diy-420x420.png

I have an OK soldering iron, performs well enough, just hell finding tips that I know will work so I've determined to get a Hakko so that I know I can get tips. Just need to convince SWMBO. It's not like I don't use my soldering stuff all the time. Heck I saved us and a neighbor a new TV when the caps when out, repaired for $15 for each.

I made a cable with those a few months ago. OMG, what a hassle. IT was the hardest soldering I ever did. Also, you will need a glue gun and heat shrink to finish the tips.

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #4,353 of 10,535
  I'll be sure to post again once I've given a crack at it. I've also got to pick up a few things before I make an attempt, need to grab a wire stripped for 26 AWG wire, and still waiting on my 3.5mm plug to arrive. I settled on eidolic for both the plug and the MMCX connectors.

These are the ones I got:

The Eidolic stuff is super light.

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #4,354 of 10,535

I made a cable with those a few months ago. OMG, what a hassle. IT was the hardest soldering I ever did. Also, you will need a glue gun and heat shrink to finish the tips.

Heat shrink is also required for listening to Frank Zappa.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:33 AM Post #4,355 of 10,535
All.

i trying to make a LOD out to Micro Usb in in order to use the ZX2 with the Alo Audio CDM. (the LOD out to 3.5 is useless)...

this is the Sony WM port plug that i have:

L, G and R are quite obvious...

but what about VCC, the 5V cable???

any idea about that?

thanks in advance.

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #4,356 of 10,535
  The Eidolic stuff is super light.

I can highly recommend these ... used them in my DIY cable for my Westone UM-Pro50.
They're easy to solder and the caps are made from anodised aluminium so they won't conduct or short out.
You also have the option to glue them permanently with super glue or use a dab of hot glue which is what I did.

Nov 4, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,358 of 10,535
Request for confirmation:  So, I want to make a PONO balanced to SE converter cable for use with my soon-to-be PONO balanced YUIN PK1s'.  From the two male balanced connectors, is the Tip/Ring wiring configuration done for each L/R channel the same for their respective female connectors?  And when the two are connected, the channels match the same (L/L, R/R)? Thanks in advance.

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #4,359 of 10,535
  Request for confirmation:  So, I want to make a PONO balanced to SE converter cable for use with my soon-to-be PONO balanced YUIN PK1s'.  From the two male balanced connectors, is the Tip/Ring wiring configuration done for each L/R channel the same for their respective female connectors?  And when the two are connected, the channels match the same (L/L, R/R)? Thanks in advance.

yes
i've made a bunch of these
tip ring male matches tip ring female
on the male the grounds (or rings) are merged to the shaft
left (tip) is tip right (tip) is ring
helps to mark one side with a colored shrink
i use red, red is ring, red is right

does that make sense?

Nov 4, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #4,360 of 10,535
Looking for cable recommendations...

Hello. I want to make a simple cable for my Ether-C headphones. I have the tips coming from MrSpeakers and I have a jack, but I would like advice on cable. This thread is way too long to read through, so I'm just gonna post. I will have the DUM cable for more critical home listening, so I'm looking for a lightweight, flexible cable for more portable usage. I don't need a fancy cable for audiophile listening; for this cable I'm focusing on flexibility and comfort and (hopefully) moderately low priced. Any recommendations? 

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:13 PM Post #4,361 of 10,535

Hello. I want to make a simple cable for my Ether-C headphones. I have the tips coming from MrSpeakers and I have a jack, but I would like advice on cable. This thread is way too long to read through, so I'm just gonna post. I will have the DUM cable for more critical home listening, so I'm looking for a lightweight, flexible cable for more portable usage. I don't need a fancy cable for audiophile listening; for this cable I'm focusing on flexibility and comfort and (hopefully) moderately low priced. Any recommendations? 

Mogami 2799 or 2893 is cheap, decently flexible, and easy to work with after you strip it down to the 4 inner cores.

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-Quad-Microphone-Cable/

Not sure how cheap you want to go. I hear Plussoundaudio has some really good wire at ~$1/ft (single core).

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,362 of 10,535

I don't get my Ether-C's till Friday so I don't know about microphonics on the C's as with the Akpha Dogs. I do not suggest paracord for the Alpha Dogs it is real bad. I made a balanced cable waiting for the Liquid Carbon to use with my Alpha Dogs and made it out of Double Helix OCC copper pe covered wire and Silver plated teflon covered wire and left it naked and it cut down microphonics down a lot. The DHC wire is kind of expensive at $2.25 a foot. I got the silver plated wire from China for like $18 for 20 meters. I made a silver only cable covered in paracord and it sounded pretty good but the microphonics were horrible. You can find the silver plate in the states but a little more expensive. I just found it on ebay and they raised there prices from the last time I bought it they want $10 for 10 meters and $5 shipping from Tiawan but that would be enough for a cable. Just a thought.

Nov 4, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #4,363 of 10,535
  yes
i've made a bunch of these
tip ring male matches tip ring female
on the male the grounds (or rings) are merged to the shaft
left (tip) is tip right (tip) is ring
helps to mark one side with a colored shrink
i use red, red is ring, red is right

does that make sense?

Clear as mud.  Just kidding.  Thanks for the confirmation.

Nov 4, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,364 of 10,535
I have started the process of making my first cable and wanted to share a tip I just figured out.  This forum so far has been an incredible wealth of knowledge during the process

I am sleeving the individually stripped out wires of Canare L-4E6S inside of 275 paracord.  I have been struggling for a couple days, and couldn't get either the tape or paper clip tricks to work.

I decided to dip the cut end of the copper wires in Elmer's glue, and let it dry overnight.  This has created a nice smooth ball at the end of the wire.  It threads through really easily now, and takes me about 4 minutes to inchworm a foot of wire.  Just wanted to pass along in case this technique hasn't been mentioned, it really saved me.

My stripped Canare wire is still really twisty, I'm hoping this won't matter during the braiding process!

Nov 5, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #4,365 of 10,535
Mogami 2799 or 2893 is cheap, decently flexible, and easy to work with after you strip it down to the 4 inner cores.

http://www.redco.com/Mogami-Quad-Microphone-Cable/

Not sure how cheap you want to go. I hear Plussoundaudio has some really good wire at ~$1/ft (single core).

Up to $3/ft is ok, but the pricing on the mega I you suggest is great.

What do you mean once you strip it down to the cores?

Update: ok, I assume you mean if I'm going strip off the sleeve a use the individual wires. I wasn't planning on doing that. I would prefer to just use the cable as is for the bulk of the cable, and resleeve after the Y.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back