DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 5, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #4,368 of 10,535
Up to $3/ft is ok, but the pricing on the mega I you suggest is great.

What do you mean once you strip it down to the cores?

Update: ok, I assume you mean if I'm going strip off the sleeve a use the individual wires. I wasn't planning on doing that. I would prefer to just use the cable as is for the bulk of the cable, and resleeve after the Y.

Mr. Speaker cable that came with my Alpha Dogs is made from Canare Quad cable ( about the same as Mogami 2893) and it's made like what you want to do (whole till the split and sleeved in a rubber sleeve). There is still a bit of microphonics in it but nothing like paracord. 

Nov 5, 2015 at 8:32 PM Post #4,369 of 10,535
Mr. Speaker cable that came with my Alpha Dogs is made from Canare Quad cable ( about the same as Mogami 2893) and it's made like what you want to do (whole till the split and sleeved in a rubber sleeve). There is still a bit of microphonics in it but nothing like paracord. 

Cool, thanks. What does one use for rubber sleeve? Shrink wrap tube? What sleeve is recommended for the least microphinics?

Nov 6, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #4,370 of 10,535
Cool, thanks. What die one use for rubber sleeve? Shrink wrap tube? What sleeve is recommended for the least microphinics?

After a little interweb searching I think it might be 3/16 latex micro tubing or something similar.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #4,371 of 10,535
How does one go about making a barrel style Y-split like the one below? Is it done with just heat shrink?

Sort of found my answer:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/4215#post_11917801

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #4,372 of 10,535
  How does one go about making a barrel style Y-split like the one below? Is it done with just heat shrink?

Sort of found my answer:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/676402/diy-cable-questions-and-comments-thread/4215#post_11917801

Doesn't look like heat shrink only. Maybe a small piece of some type of pipe covered in heat shrink.
You edited while I was typing. Not a bad guess though ; )

Nov 6, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #4,373 of 10,535

Sort of found my answer:

His are nicer, but I used a ballpoint pen, disassembled and section to the desired length.  Tubing might be better if a wider opening is required.

Nov 8, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #4,374 of 10,535
I am interested lately to make my own CIEM cable, I would like to know what cable wire is the closest in feel as the one used in the standard UE/JH/1964 replacement cable.
I have one of this cable and it's a good wire, pliable, soft, thin, doesn't retain kinks. What wire do you recommend? I am a bit lost. How can I know the physical properties of a wire from specs? Does teflon mean it pliable? PFE? What about microphonics?  

Also I am looking for a small 90deg right angle plug and so far these seems to be good  

https://world.taobao.com/item/522752671103.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.J3vDeK#detail

this one seems good but I don't know how flexible is the tail to be used as a strain relief

https://world.tmall.com/item/520459603758.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.J3vDeK

I am actually thinking of "casting" the 90deg plug I have on the original jh/westone/1964 cable from some kind of rubber/plastic but have no clue what material to use.

For the 078mm pin I am thinking of buying them here https://world.taobao.com/item/520928025466.htm?spm=a312a.7728556.1414651174895.6.1JE2AR&scm=1007.10146.12547.0&id=520928025466&pvid=58aecf3f-fe00-4b4b-88d3-35bb8bf5f022 and use uv resin in a cast done from the plugs I have on the original cable...or buy those pre-made.

So far the most difficult part is to actually knowing what is a good wire...

Nov 10, 2015 at 8:38 AM Post #4,375 of 10,535
Anyone know where I can buy SC peacock cable in the USA?
http://shop.sommercable.com/index.php?lang=1&cl=search&sQWSearchProfile=SommerEN&searchparam=SC-Peacock+MKI

Nov 11, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #4,376 of 10,535
I need help with rewiring the jack of my Denon AH D510R headphones. These come with Apple iPod remote.

I am in India where there is nobody to repair these and I'm doing it myself. I have attached a photo of the pins of the TRRS plug, just reply back with what pin corresponds to which colour wire. The different wire colours I see are-
RED
GREEN
BLACK
BARE COPPER
WHITE
TRANSLUCENT CREAMISH

In the image attached you'll find the pic of the TRRS plug I'm using. Just match them up for me please. Tell me what colour corresponds to the following-

Smallest pin- ???
Slightly bigger pin- ???
Pin sticking out- ???
Largest terminal- ???

Link to the image- http://i.imgur.com/ToZSR.jpg

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #4,377 of 10,535
Question: let's say I use quad wire for a headphone cable. I split the wire down to the Y and remove the outer insolation and shielding between the Y and the speakers. I now have two wire to go to each headphone speaker. I will use soft nylon sleeve between the speaker and the Y, but do I need to add any extra insolation between the wire and the sleeve? this is the wire between the speaker and the Y split. Thanks

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:48 PM Post #4,378 of 10,535
Question: let's say I use quad wire for a headphone cable. I split the wire down to the Y and remove the outer insolation and shielding between the Y and the speakers. I now have two wire to go to each headphone speaker. I will use soft nylon sleeve between the speaker and the Y, but do I need to add any extra insolation between the wire and the sleeve? this is the wire between the speaker and the Y split. Thanks

You don't really need any insulation at all (see all the cables made by stripping the stock cable down to its component wires, then often sleeved in paracord), so you'll be fine with what you describe.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:45 PM Post #4,379 of 10,535

Like he said. Just to let you know the DUM cable cover is less microphonic than my original Alpha Dog cable on my Alpha Dogs. I found some on Ebay . I believe it is the same size.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #4,380 of 10,535

Like he said. Just to let you know the DUM cable cover is less microphonic than my original Alpha Dog cable on my Alpha Dogs. I found some on Ebay . I believe it is the same size.

Yep, that's the stuff I am planning on getting. I will also get mogami 2893 wire and this Switchcraft 35HDLBAUS plug so I can use it with a 3.5mm jack, and screw on a 1/4" jack in a pinch. I'm also thinking of this Carbon Fiber Micro Y-Split Cover from Double Helix Cables.

Cost of cable:

MrSpeakers tips: $14 (shipped for free sine I got them with my headphones)
Cable (6'): 5.64  (free shipping from Markertek)
Plug: $7.69 (free shipping from Markertek)
Sleeve: 7.84 (shipped from ebay)
$35.17 if I use heat shrink for the Y split

Quite the deal. Of, if I want to get a little fancier, I can add:

Y-Split:  $16 (had to throw in an adapter to get cart above minimum order of $15) 

So, $51.17 gets me a decent portable cable with a fancy Y-split, plus an adapter! I love DIY.

Umm, the small openings on the Y split are 4mm. Will that accommodate the two wires from the 2893 and tech techflex nylon sleeve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back