DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 30, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #4,337 of 10,535
  As long as you have cables with separate sides it should be easy to get it right as long as you can tell which is the pos and neg of the side. 

Looks like I got lucky and performed a successful SE to PONO balanced conversion on my first shot.  I also have the SE version of the same iem with identical mods and burn in regimen to compare with this balanced version:

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #4,338 of 10,535

Looks like I got lucky and performed a successful SE to PONO balanced conversion on my first shot.  I also have the SE version of the same iem with identical mods and burn in regimen to compare with this balanced version:

Looks good and clean I hope you like it.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:55 PM Post #4,340 of 10,535
Hey guys I got myself some MMCX connectors, to replace the cable on my shure se846, but I can't find any spec sheets on the connectors anywhere (maybe I suck at finding these things), but am I correct in assume the middle contact is where the L or R connection is, and the side ones are the ground?

Oct 31, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #4,341 of 10,535
  Hey guys I got myself some MMCX connectors, to replace the cable on my shure se846, but I can't find any spec sheets on the connectors anywhere (maybe I suck at finding these things), but am I correct in assume the middle contact is where the L or R connection is, and the side ones are the ground?

Yup, that is just about true for most setups. the middle is live and the side is the ground

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #4,342 of 10,535

good job
balanced mode shows how amazing the amp section of the pono is
i just made a balanced cable for my hd700
it sounds great

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #4,343 of 10,535

I'd love any advise you can give once you make yours. I have the MMCX connectors, wire and the other connectors. What I need now is a soldering iron with a finer tip soldering iron and some form of magnifying device because these 45 year old eyes don't focus too well now days.

Which MMCX connectors did you settle on? Oh and I'm aiming to recable my 1540, I just hate the gumby stock cables.

What I'd really like to do is make a cable for the Ether C and then make adapters to go from the Ether C connector to the MMCX.

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #4,344 of 10,535

I'd love any advise you can give once you make yours. I have the MMCX connectors, wire and the other connectors. What I need now is a soldering iron with a finer tip soldering iron and some form of magnifying device because these 45 year old eyes don't focus too well now days.

Which MMCX connectors did you settle on? Oh and I'm aiming to recable my 1540, I just hate the gumby stock cables.

What I'd really like to do is make a cable for the Ether C and then make adapters to go from the Ether C connector to the MMCX.

I'll be sure to post again once I've given a crack at it. I've also got to pick up a few things before I make an attempt, need to grab a wire stripped for 26 AWG wire, and still waiting on my 3.5mm plug to arrive. I settled on eidolic for both the plug and the MMCX connectors.

These are the ones I got:

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #4,345 of 10,535
Hello. I'm making a TRS (male) to XLR4 (female) adapter in prep for my Ether-C DUM balanced cable. I've searched, and I'm still not sure of the connections. I think it goes like this:

Tip to pin 1
Ring to pin 3
Sleeve to pins 2 and 4
Shield to sleeve on TRS plug and to center lug on Neutrik NC4FX

Can anyone confirm to correct this?

Thanks.

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #4,346 of 10,535
Hello. I'm making a TRS (male) to XLR4 (female) adapter in prep for my Ether-C DUM balanced cable. I've searched, and I'm still not sure of the connections. I think it goes like this:

Tip to pin 1
Ring to pin 3
Sleeve to pins 2 and 4
Shield to sleeve on TRS plug and to center lug on Neutrik NC4FX

Can anyone confirm to correct this?

Thanks.

Yep, that's correct. Sleeve not necessary.

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #4,348 of 10,535

Go to Parts Express and Stahl irons . I bought a nice little Solder station that is adjustable and on sale and $5 for a tip set with 4 tips well worth the price. If you have a Harbour Freight around they have some helping hands with a magnifying glass hooked to it for something like $4.

Nov 1, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #4,349 of 10,535
Go to Parts Express and Stahl irons . I bought a nice little Solder station that is adjustable and on sale and $5 for a tip set with 4 tips well worth the price. If you have a Harbour Freight around they have some helping hands with a magnifying glass hooked to it for something like $4.

What he said
I've been using that iron for about a year no complaints
That and practice practice practice

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #4,350 of 10,535
Many headphones with attached cables come with an 1/8" (3.5mm) TRS jack and screw-on adapter to convert the jack into 1/4" (6.3mm). Anyone know where to buy this type of plug?

update: I found this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=857699&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

Any other options?

More edits: 

Is the type of jack I'm looking for called a "locking" plug? Like this:
http://www.markertek.com/product/sw-35hdlbaus/switchcraft-35hdlbaus-3-5mm-locking-stereo-plug-black-handle-gold-plug

Does that little thing screw off that that is what the 1/4" adapter screws onto?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back