DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 7:20 AM Post #1,471 of 10,535
  It's easy and lazy to slap heat shrink over a connector because the cable isn't secured properly internally. I like a clean look, heat shrink is to be avoided in areas that are seen.

What's not stopping people from cutting heat shrink cleanly? Many after-market interconnects have heat shrinks slapped over a connector. Done properly, and with coloured heat shrink, it can look pretty nice. I'll wager it's the less creative use of heat shrink that has given it a bad reputation for aesthetics.

Mar 2, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #1,473 of 10,535
  I love the look of heatshrink, when done properly, it can look really good.

Few cables i done couple days ago and to me, they look much better with the heatshrink, then they would without.

Now that's how you used Heatshrink....
beerchug.gif

Mar 2, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #1,474 of 10,535
  I love the look of heatshrink, when done properly, it can look really good. 

Few cables i done couple days ago and to me, they look much better with the heatshrink, then they would without.

Those look awesome!

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,475 of 10,535
Hello DIYers,

I've got my eyes on this plug Connectronics 35-4CON-LP, 3.5mm  0.15inch/3.81mm ID,  6.3mm OD.   As it's the only plug I could find  that would fit the Martin Logan Mikros 90 headphone side recessed jack (7mm).

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/3-5-2-5mm-Mini-Connectors/Connectronics/35-4CON-LP.xhtml

My question is:  I want to make a 6x flat braid, no sleeving, just bare naked wires with their insulator jackets. Could I fit 6 wires into such a plug? Say 26 or 28awg UPOCC silver.  Visual exemple: the Plussound Audio Exo series photo on their Facebook site.

This would be my first DIY project, I'd have to invest in a MM+soldering station.

I checked some plug makers but so far my only other options would be:
-Qables 3.5mm naked plugs + heatshrink (though not sure the brass ring behind the threads are <7mm)
-cannibalising an Auvio cable plug
-Ted @HPL seems to been able to use a Viablue T6 mini (#30539) by removing the outer casing so it fits the Mikros 90.

edit: I really can't find the official specs on the Connectronics 3.5mm TRRS plug, neither could I find photos of its guts.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #1,477 of 10,535
  Hello DIYers,

I've got my eyes on this plug Connectronics 35-4CON-LP, 3.5mm  0.15inch/3.81mm ID,  6.3mm OD.   As it's the only plug I could find  that would fit the Martin Logan Mikros 90 headphone side recessed jack (7mm).

http://www.markertek.com/Connectors-Adapters/Audio-Connectors/3-5-2-5mm-Mini-Connectors/Connectronics/35-4CON-LP.xhtml

My question is:  I want to make a 6x flat braid, no sleeving, just bare naked wires with their insulator jackets. Could I fit 6 wires into such a plug? Say 26 or 28awg UPOCC silver.  Visual exemple: the Plussound Audio Exo series photo on their Facebook site.

This would be my first DIY project, I'd have to invest in a MM+soldering station.

I checked some plug makers but so far my only other options would be:
-Qables 3.5mm naked plugs + heatshrink (though not sure the brass ring behind the threads are <7mm)
-cannibalising an Auvio cable plug
-Ted @HPL seems to been able to use a Viablue T6 mini (#30539) by removing the outer casing so it fits the Mikros 90.

edit: I really can't find the official specs on the Connectronics 3.5mm TRRS plug, neither could I find photos of its guts.

Probably not.  You are going to have less than 4mm at the exit.  You will need to take a look at the diameter of the wire that you are using and see if you can fit about three across.  I don't know what the rear of the barrel looks like, but you might be able to drill out the back a little to give your self a little more space.  I'd suggest just going with heatshrink around the plug without the shell.  If you do it right, it should look fine coming out of the hole.  Plus it will likely be more robust than if you just used the shell.

Mar 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM Post #1,478 of 10,535
  Has anyone tried stripping down a lightning connector and using it for a direct integration? If yes, any pointers?

Google lightning connector tear down or something similar.  Peter at Doublehelixcables was the first to tear one apart and it was a doozy.  You might have better luck with a different MFI cable like from Monoprice or Amazon.  Their are also connectors available from Lunashops, but no word yet on whether or not they work properly.

Mar 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,480 of 10,535
  Depends on what you want to put on the other end, they only work with USB currently. You can get DIY lightning connectors from Lunashop which work just fine.

Forgive the simplistic nature of this question, but what makes them only usable with a USB at this time? Is additional circuitry needed to make them work with something like a 3.5mm connector? 

Thanks for the tip on Lunashop by the way. 

Mar 2, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #1,482 of 10,535
n00b question alert:

balanced line out from my DX50 to RX3B is it a mono or a stereo 3.5m jack

Mar 2, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #1,484 of 10,535
Thanks freakie so will go single ended but again do you or anybody else know whether its stereo or mono 3.5 jack?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back