DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,486 of 10,535

Forgive the simplistic nature of this question, but what makes them only usable with a USB at this time? Is additional circuitry needed to make them work with something like a 3.5mm connector? 

Thanks for the tip on Lunashop by the way. 

I don't wish to speculate as to why it does not work at present, it might be available in future.

Mar 3, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #1,490 of 10,535
  Those look awesome!

Now that's how you used Heatshrink....
beerchug.gif

Thanks lads.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,491 of 10,535
I broke my sony 7550 cable at the earpiece and there are 5 copper wires coming out, the other two are fabric.   I think the long copper is soldered to the center of the screw in piece, but can't
figure it out.    Thanks in advance!

Mar 3, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #1,492 of 10,535
I broke my sony 7550 cable at the earpiece and there are 5 copper wires coming out, the other two are fabric.   I think the long copper is soldered to the center of the screw in piece, but can't

First remove detachable connector from the Right earphone then use multimeter to know which one cable is ground and signal.

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,494 of 10,535
First remove detachable connector from the Right earphone then use multimeter to know which one cable is ground and signal.

the wire in the pic was stripped by me, the good wire for the rt speaker only has the connecter, not any wires.   I actually tried putting the red tip of the multimeter in the ear out of my player to just get a reading and put the black tip on the neg terminal of a 12 v portable battery but can't get a reading, my fluke 113 was set at the second position v chek, the next  position is ohm, so guess I don't know how to get a reading.   I tried placing the pos tip to the bare wires but no reading.   I actually ordered a replacement cable from Japan this afternoon for $40 plus whatever shipping costs, but I would like to know how to check the cable with my multimeter, what did I do wrong??

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #1,495 of 10,535
  the wire in the pic was stripped by me, the good wire for the rt speaker only has the connecter, not any wires.   I actually tried putting the red tip of the multimeter in the ear out of my player to just get a reading and put the black tip on the neg terminal of a 12 v portable battery but can't get a reading, my fluke 113 was set at the second position v chek, the next  position is ohm, so guess I don't know how to get a reading.   I tried placing the pos tip to the bare wires but no reading.   I actually ordered a replacement cable from Japan this afternoon for $40 plus whatever shipping costs, but I would like to know how to check the cable with my multimeter, what did I do wrong??

do you already remove the iem from its pin connector? (the normal one/the good one) (so booth iem is detach from its cable)

Mar 3, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #1,496 of 10,535

Hmm ...  why are there 5 wires? Isn't that all you need are two wires - one for audio channel and one for ground?

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #1,498 of 10,535
  I guess just one for signal and the other are ground

Here's another pic.   I think the long wire is positive, but again, I can't get a reading.    I have used the Fluke before for readings, but perhaps I'm not setting it up correctly for the current from my source.   Thanks for offering assistance audiofreakie, sorry I'm not more technical minded. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #1,499 of 10,535
Iam looking for advice on two items

1) on cable type / quality for audio signal for connecting circuit boards in my DAC project
2) on a quality 3.5mm plug

Can someone advise what and where to buy?

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2014 at 3:33 AM Post #1,500 of 10,535
@Sounfbear, try to sand the edge of each wire, then use multimeter at that area. I think your multimeter can't read it because the cable is litz wire (covered by transparent resin) check out about litz wire at wikipedia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back