DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 4, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #1,501 of 10,535
Put your multimeter on Ohm

One tip on the tip of the 3.5mm jack (as that is left) the other end on the main centre cable. Should read 0 or near.

Next put the tip on the sleeve of the 3.5mm jack, the other tip on the bare wire that should be ground.

Mar 4, 2014 at 1:42 PM Post #1,502 of 10,535
Sorry if this question has been posed before, but I'm looking to make a DIY HE-500, 4 pin XLR cable. I already have 5 pairs of SMC connectors, a Valab/DHC CF 4 pin-XLR, and heatshrink. I'm now trying to find acceptable OCC cable for a decent price. Anyone know where I can find it at ~$1,00 /ft. or less? I'm thinking I'll need around 25 feet or so for a 4.5 - 5 ft. braid. If anyone is interested, we can do a bulk buy from DHC or other good suppliers for OCC at a reduced rate ($500 for a 330ft. spool).

But yeah, does anyone know of a good site to find nice, OCC cable?
Thanks!

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #1,503 of 10,535
Sorry if this question has been posed before, but I'm looking to make a DIY HE-500, 4 pin XLR cable. I already have 5 pairs of SMC connectors, a Valab/DHC CF 4 pin-XLR, and heatshrink. I'm now trying to find acceptable OCC cable for a decent price. Anyone know where I can find it at ~$1,00 /ft. or less? I'm thinking I'll need around 25 feet or so for a 4.5 - 5 ft. braid. If anyone is interested, we can do a bulk buy from DHC or other good suppliers for OCC at a reduced rate ($500 for a 330ft. spool).

But yeah, does anyone know of a good site to find nice, OCC cable?
Thanks!

Only way to get prices that low is to buy in bulk from the manufacturer unless you have a personal in with one of the pro cable makers.  If you find OCC wire too much cheaper than $2 a foot, it probably isn't real.

Mar 4, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #1,504 of 10,535
Is there a significant, audible difference between TPC, OFC, uOFC and OCC? I never got a chance to listen to balanced, non OCC powered HE-500s, so I would like a second opinion.

Edit: I re-soldered the broken wire on the left HE-500 cable, but it looks a but ugly as I only could use heat shrink. Does anyone know what plastic sleeve is used on the normal cable endings?
siqGmmB.jpg

Mar 4, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #1,505 of 10,535
Is there a significant, audible difference between TPC, OFC, uOFC and OCC? I never got a chance to listen to balanced, non OCC powered HE-500s, so I would like a second opinion.

Edit: I re-soldered the broken wire on the left HE-500 cable, but it looks a but ugly as I only could use heat shrink. Does anyone know what plastic sleeve is used on the normal cable endings?

Significant?  No.  Anything audible will be very subtle.  I have used just about every material available to a DIYer and the only differences I have heard, I can't be sure that I didn't imagine.  Others believe or hear differently.

Mar 4, 2014 at 5:21 PM Post #1,506 of 10,535
  Significant?  No.  Anything audible will be very subtle.  I have used just about every material available to a DIYer and the only differences I have heard, I can't be sure that I didn't imagine.  Others believe or hear differently.

+1.  Whether you agree or disagree that cables, connectors etc make a difference is up to you but I think generally it is a concensus that if there is a difference is a very minor one.  

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:38 PM Post #1,507 of 10,535
The difference is either a connector works properly or it doesn't. I've heard of connectors such as Viablue making such poor contact with mating connectors that they are detrimental to the sound. Aside from those kinds of cases, the only practical difference in connectors is physical dimensions and durability.

Mar 4, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #1,508 of 10,535
I tried it and lightly sanded the wire, but still no reading.   I have tomorrow off, so I will see if I can find someone in town that can check it for me.   Thanks for the help, I'll report what happens.

Mar 4, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #1,509 of 10,535

siqGmmB.jpg

maybe this one:

I tried it and lightly sanded the wire, but still no reading.   I have tomorrow off, so I will see if I can find someone in town that can check it for me.   Thanks for the help, I'll report what happens.

maybe your cable broken.

Mar 5, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #1,511 of 10,535
RCA sleeves will be too big for the hifiman connectors.

Look for gromets or whatever at a hobby/electronics store.

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #1,513 of 10,535
Those are mold on covers, they require an injection molding machine and a mold. 

Your best bet is if you can find a version of the connector you have that has a sleeve strain relief and buy that. Probably replace both connectors.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #1,514 of 10,535
Quick question from a noob:

I'm making a custom cable for my HE-500s using Mogami W2799.  I made a 6-footer, left the outer sheath in place and fed it through some paracord for the section below the Y split.  Now I'm planning to make a longer one and will discard the outer sheath and copper shield.  I've got a nice custom cable I had made (soon for sale! :wink: that seems to have braided wires inside the sleeve (below the split).  I love the weight and suppleness, thus my plan.

My question is, what are the benefits, if any, of braiding the four wires vs. leaving them nicely twisted, as they are?  I've sacrificed a couple feet in order to practice braiding and check the fit into the paracord, and that gave rise to the question.  The only benefit that comes to mind is that the braid won't come unraveled as the twist might, but does that matter.

Thanks for any replies, and in general for all the great lessons I've learned from this thread.

Mar 5, 2014 at 1:47 PM Post #1,515 of 10,535
  Quick question from a noob:

I'm making a custom cable for my HE-500s using Mogami W2799.  I made a 6-footer, left the outer sheath in place and fed it through some paracord for the section below the Y split.  Now I'm planning to make a longer one and will discard the outer sheath and copper shield.  I've got a nice custom cable I had made (soon for sale! :wink: that seems to have braided wires inside the sleeve (below the split).  I love the weight and suppleness, thus my plan.

My question is, what are the benefits, if any, of braiding the four wires vs. leaving them nicely twisted, as they are?  I've sacrificed a couple feet in order to practice braiding and check the fit into the paracord, and that gave rise to the question.  The only benefit that comes to mind is that the braid won't come unraveled as the twist might, but does that matter.

Thanks for any replies, and in general for all the great lessons I've learned from this thread.

None other than aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back