DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 5, 2014 at 7:00 PM Post #1,531 of 10,535
If what you have is hollow, it may work fine for single strands of wire... Put a coat hangar in it and then melt the end. I do a lot of splicing of larger double braid for sailing...this small stuff is frustrating but can be made to comply.

Dang. Okay, thanks guys. Apparently I bought cheap stuff. Lame. And yea I was going to use it wrap individual strands of some Canare Star Quad wire.

So where can I get "good" Type I Paracord that has the strands in it? I need white and black.

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #1,532 of 10,535
  And that stuff has the internal strands?

Yep.  I'll check again the count...

Yep, one strand.  Comes out looking gray, but when you're looking at the end, you can definitely differentiate from the black.  Might be tougher with white, assuming the same color as what I just pulled out.

I started threading one wire through it after melting the end with a lighter.  Tight fit, but it was going, so I reckon with patience it can be done.

I didn't look for white type I.

Good luck :)

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,533 of 10,535
Well I haven't done any DIY cables in a while and kind of want to make a cable for my DT770 Premium 600 ohm with dual Mini XLRs. I ordered a 3.5mm SwitchCraft connector, 2 SwitchCraft Mini XLR female plugs, 24 feet of BTG's 26 AWG Clear XLPE wire, and for the first time, some micro paracord. I'm pretty excited to build it! 

Mar 5, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #1,534 of 10,535
Well I haven't done any DIY cables in a while and kind of want to make a cable for my DT770 Premium 600 ohm with dual Mini XLRs. I ordered a 3.5mm SwitchCraft connector, 2 SwitchCraft Mini XLR female plugs, 24 feet of BTG's 26 AWG Clear XLPE wire, and for the first time, some micro paracord. I'm pretty excited to build it! 
Going to be a sweet build!
I didn't like the Switchcraft socket as I have Rean connectors and they didn't mate well. The Switchcraft plugs will probably fit much better.
:beerchug:

Mar 6, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #1,535 of 10,535
First time braiding. I think it's not too bad eh?

I am looking to sleeve it. Any suggestions on what to get in Australia? Just looking for plain colours. Also, are there sizes? 

Mar 6, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #1,536 of 10,535

I am looking to sleeve it. Any suggestions on what to get in Australia? Just looking for plain colours. Also, are there sizes? 

Very nice. Looks like you understood the 2 wire twist as well, looks nice and tight. What is the cable going to be used for?

Mar 6, 2014 at 11:12 PM Post #1,538 of 10,535

Good job :)

I just ordered from https://fivestarcord.com/ and its silky smoooothe, seem easy to work with as it stretches more than another one I bought off amazon. 

Micro paracord for single cord sleeving and 550 paracord for most projects should work great.

Mar 8, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,540 of 10,535
For balanced interconnects, do I have to connect something to pin 1? If so, and I don't have the shielding to use, what should be connected? Can another strand of wire connect the two pin 1s?

Mar 8, 2014 at 9:52 PM Post #1,541 of 10,535
Hi!

Is it safe to use a mini female to balance interconnects to convert my headphone line to balance? Like an adapter...?

IPOD > 30 pin to mini > AMP > balance to female mini > Headphone 

THANKS!

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #1,542 of 10,535
  Hi!

Is it safe to use a mini female to balance interconnects to convert my headphone line to balance? Like an adapter...?

IPOD > 30 pin to mini > AMP > balance to female mini > Headphone 

THANKS!

That would not work. The purpose of having a balanced headphone cable is to have independent negative leads to each driver. By going to a female mini, you're not only not getting any benefits you would get by going balanced but you are also risking your amp by shorting the two independent leads

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #1,543 of 10,535
That would not work. The purpose of having a balanced headphone cable is to have independent negative leads to each driver. By going to a female mini, you're not only not getting any benefits you would get by going balanced but you are also risking your amp by shorting the two independent leads

Hmmm i was thinking about it and thats why I asked whether it will be safe .. Btw is there any way to go balance?

Thanks for the feedback man!

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #1,544 of 10,535
Hmmm i was thinking about it and thats why I asked whether it will be safe .. Btw is there any way to go balance?

Thanks for the feedback man!

What headphone do you have?

You can recable the headphone so that you have L+, L-, R+, R- , (two wires from each driver), and run them to a balanced connector. Then you can make an adapter if you'd like that goes balanced to mini. 

This won't always be possible, or really feasible with many headphone models. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #1,545 of 10,535
What headphone do you have?

You can recable the headphone so that you have L+, L-, R+, R- , (two wires from each driver), and run them to a balanced connector. Then you can make an adapter if you'd like that goes balanced to mini. 

This won't always be possible, or really feasible with many headphone models. 

And i guess thats the only way too.. I use an m100 headphones but l really dont know too if it will work on them.. Nah.. Maybe will just stick on them..

Lastly can you make a solo original + duet to do full balance set up using special interconnects??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back