DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 6:27 PM Post #1,561 of 10,535

These, right?

http://www.aloaudio.com/hd800-female-socket-panel-mount-connector-sold-in-pairs 

They look to be about the same diameter as the mini XLR's.  Do you have reason to believe they are actually smaller?

Yes.

Mar 9, 2014 at 7:47 PM Post #1,562 of 10,535

Yes.

BOOM!
Haha too fine!
biggrin.gif

Mar 10, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #1,565 of 10,535
They have a pair of positive locking tabs perpendicular to the indexing tab.

Lemo connectors are some of the best in the world. They're expensive because of the quality. I don't know that I trust an audio vendor for genuine connectors.

If you're willing to take the time to go on Lemo's website and figure out the model number you want you can order them through a dealer or search on e-bay. Might find them cheaper.

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:19 AM Post #1,571 of 10,535
Mark Lawton Modded D2000 and yes, I had to drill through them, original hole diameter is roughly 5.5mm so there is no chance you will fit anything in there without drilling. I have access to a drill press and a vise, so it was done in a very precise manner. The only other modder that I've seen do something similar is Martin at Martin Custom Audio, I would like to say about a year ago, and he used 1/8 inch mono jacks as the connector, a much more cost efficient approach but not as nice looking in my opinion, and I also have something against mono plugs and shorting your drivers when plugging the connector in and being able to be unplugged when tugged. With the Lemo, I don't ever have to worry about either of those. It was a miserable process but well worth it. I have also done the same mod on my HE400s so I can use all of my cables on either headphone.

Edit: Martin's D2K Detach link
http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2013/02/cocobolo-denon-d2000-cups-with-18-jacks.html

Mar 10, 2014 at 5:48 AM Post #1,572 of 10,535
  Mark Lawton Modded D2000 and yes, I had to drill through them, original hole diameter is roughly 5.5mm so there is no chance you will fit anything in there without drilling. I have access to a drill press and a vise, so it was done in a very precise manner. The only other modder that I've seen do something similar is Martin at Martin Custom Audio, I would like to say about a year ago, and he used 1/8 inch mono jacks as the connector, a much more cost efficient approach but not as nice looking in my opinion, and I also have something against mono plugs and shorting your drivers when plugging the connector in and being able to be unplugged when tugged. With the Lemo, I don't ever have to worry about either of those. It was a miserable process but well worth it. I have also done the same mod on my HE400s so I can use all of my cables on either headphone.

http://www.martincustomaudio.com/2013/02/cocobolo-denon-d2000-cups-with-18-jacks.html

that's a very nice mod. i've been thinking about putting in some hardware on my d7000...the Lemo connectors look like what i want. i have access to a drill press, too, so maybe i can convince my friend to do the drilling for me. i like the idea of having the same connectors on multiple headphones and just have a couple of different cables. i wish the Alpha Dogs used the same connectors. but they're much more expensive so i understand dan's choice for the ADs. thanks for the info...

Mar 10, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #1,573 of 10,535

that's a very nice mod. i've been thinking about putting in some hardware on my d7000...the Lemo connectors look like what i want. i have access to a drill press, too, so maybe i can convince my friend to do the drilling for me. i like the idea of having the same connectors on multiple headphones and just have a couple of different cables. i wish the Alpha Dogs used the same connectors. but they're much more expensive so i understand dan's choice for the ADs. thanks for the info...
The drilling isn't nearly as bad as the soldering, the pins are tiny and VERY close to each other. It took me a couple of tries to get them not to short. A multimeter will be very handy if you decide to go the Lemo route. Cheers

Mar 10, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,574 of 10,535

You can get a full set cheaper from Lunashops.com  They might not match 100% the original quality of the Sennheiser connectors, but should likely be just fine.  Most people selling them probably got a batch when getting their HD800 connectors.  I got a single one as a sample when I was trying to convince an Alibaba vendor to sell me some HD800 connectors in really low volumes.  I wanted 6 and their minimum was 300 :)  ALO should be fine as well.  

I still prefer mini XLR when they fit, but would probably go this route if space was really at a premium or I felt like punishing myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back